ART selfportraits w/ d50??

fukijama1

OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2008
so i havent really had anything to test with my umbrella..i was wondering how i can do self portraits while at the same time getting the camera to focus on me? is there any tips you guys can help me with? using a d50 camera

Mighty_Zeus

I think if you use the wireless remote (can be had for under $20) that it will focus, but not sure.

Otherwise, put something where your face is going to be, put it on timer, focus, and move it as you sit in it's place.

Or, depending on what lens you are using you could measure from the focal plane to where you will be sitting and set the lens manually.

A few options, but none easy. That is actually the one complaint I have had. I think it's fucking retarded that it does not re-focus when on timer, I mean, it's pretty fucking obvious what most people would use a timer for.....and the corresponding functionality was not engineered in....wtf.

aCab

Jun 1, 2007
Chicaaago
I think if you use the wireless remote (can be had for under $20) that it will focus, but not sure.

Otherwise, put something where your face is going to be, put it on timer, focus, and move it as you sit in it's place.

Or, depending on what lens you are using you could measure from the focal plane to where you will be sitting and set the lens manually.

A few options, but none easy. That is actually the one complaint I have had. I think it's fucking retarded that it does not re-focus when on timer, I mean, it's pretty fucking obvious what most people would use a timer for.....and the corresponding functionality was not engineered in....wtf.

I use the time for landscape shots to make sure I don't get any movement from me touching the shutter button. :dunno:

But the way you said to take self portraits is how I do it:

2832678398_388743775b_o.jpg

IntheWorks

windin film.. takin pics
Jun 30, 2001
earth

on my canon I have the custom function set to make the * button my focus button, not the shutter, so that won't work for me. So what I do is I set up a lightstand, or a tripod in the appx area I'll be standing in, prefocus, then switch the lens to MF so I don't accidentally change it some how, then set it on self timer and move the tripod out of the way and stand in it's place.

aCab

Jun 1, 2007
Chicaaago
on my canon I have the custom function set to make the * button my focus button, not the shutter, so that won't work for me. So what I do is I set up a lightstand, or a tripod in the appx area I'll be standing in, prefocus, then switch the lens to MF so I don't accidentally change it some how, then set it on self timer and move the tripod out of the way and stand in it's place.

CF #4. :bowdown: can't live without it anymore.

xenon supra

OT Supporter
Feb 3, 2005
San Diego, CA

that still never works perfectly.

TS
TS

fukijama1

OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2008
link to said remotes? now i have a d50...which is a bit older on the technology. will using a remote focus and trigger the shutter or will it trigger and not focus?

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan