TECH sharing a hd with pcs

Bstylee

I am what I drink
OT Supporter
Aug 23, 2005
Boulder
if i want to share an external it needs to be fat32 correct?

so what if i want to store hd movies on the external that are over 5 g?
is there a way to reformat the drive so it can be shared between mac/pc AND take the huge files?

5SpeedSER

Jun 18, 2003
South Florida
you can buy software for pcs to read hfs drives.... that may be your best option. fat32 is great if you dont use very large files.

TheWeasel

Downside to using FAT32 on a Mac is that OS X doesn't write to FAT32 volumes very well. It's VERY slow to write to FAT32 when there are multiple files.

How are you looking to share the drive? Will you be hooking it to the PC to share or share while connected to the Mac via a network? As I said, FAT32 performance on the Mac isn't great and there's a 2GB file size limit on FAT32 also. I would install MacDrive on the PC. It allows Windows to mount and read and write HFS+ formatted volumes. It works well from my experience with it some years ago.

deusexaethera

OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2005
Is it okay for me to ask "if Apples are so great, why is it so many of the people who use them seem to lack knowledge about the most basic of computer configuration tasks? Shouldn't a product so fantastic as a Macintosh help you learn about these things instead of just letting you believe you don't need to know about them?"

Anyway, the easiest way to do this is to buy a NAS drive (Network-Attached Storage) and plug it into your home network. That way people can access it without your computer having to be on.

mobbarley

Mar 4, 2005
Sydney
Is it okay for me to ask "if Apples are so great, why is it so many of the people who use them seem to lack knowledge about the most basic of computer configuration tasks? Shouldn't a product so fantastic as a Macintosh help you learn about these things instead of just letting you believe you don't need to know about them?"

Anyway, the easiest way to do this is to buy a NAS drive (Network-Attached Storage) and plug it into your home network. That way people can access it without your computer having to be on.

1) Fuck off faggot
2) A NAS is good for home but also a lot more expensive than a HD in a case and not something you can put in your pocket and take with you.

Morpheus647

Jan 17, 2006
Downside to using FAT32 on a Mac is that OS X doesn't write to FAT32 volumes very well. It's VERY slow to write to FAT32 when there are multiple files.

How are you looking to share the drive? Will you be hooking it to the PC to share or share while connected to the Mac via a network? As I said, FAT32 performance on the Mac isn't great and there's a 2GB file size limit on FAT32 also. I would install MacDrive on the PC. It allows Windows to mount and read and write HFS+ formatted volumes. It works well from my experience with it some years ago.
I have Macdrive installed now and it works flawlessly for me.

Pen Is Mightier

Format it as Mac OS Extended and then just use something like MacDrive 7 on the Windows PC to read/write to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan