LOVE Sharing a vehicle with your S/O

ww_Crimson

Sep 3, 2007
Bay Area
Any of you do it? Or have done it?

I love my car, but my commute is killing my wallet. I get about 16mpg mixed (heavy freeway traffic) and it costs me about $350-$425/month to drive to work and school. My girlfriend has a Honda Civic that should get about 28-32 mixed effectively halving my gas expense. Maintenance on my car is also a lot more expensive (bigger tires, more oil for oil changes (8 cyl vs 4 cyl), more expensive brakes).

I've seriously considered the idea of us swapping cars (her commute to work is 2 miles each way) but I still haven't decided. If she got into an accident and it was her fault, I'd be pissed, however if she got into an accident and she wasn't at fault I wouldn't be upset with her.

I'd be easily saving $150-$200/month.

iwishyouwerebeer

you shut your cunt
Sep 1, 2006
I'd have no problem switching with Mr. Beer, but then again we're married.

I think the only SO I'd do that with were someone I had been with a few years and also lived with. Somehow in my head those kinds of milestones prove we could handle switching cars for money sake.

infinite.purple

Oct 26, 2007
Bothell, WA
Any of you do it? Or have done it?

I love my car, but my commute is killing my wallet. I get about 16mpg mixed (heavy freeway traffic) and it costs me about $350-$425/month to drive to work and school. My girlfriend has a Honda Civic that should get about 28-32 mixed effectively halving my gas expense. Maintenance on my car is also a lot more expensive (bigger tires, more oil for oil changes (8 cyl vs 4 cyl), more expensive brakes).

I've seriously considered the idea of us swapping cars (her commute to work is 2 miles each way) but I still haven't decided. If she got into an accident and it was her fault, I'd be pissed, however if she got into an accident and she wasn't at fault I wouldn't be upset with her.

I'd be easily saving $150-$200/month.
my fiance and i have each driven the other's cars. we commute to work together every day in my car and it's been a huge savings not only in gas, but in parking $.

i'll admit i was really wary about driving his car when we were first dating just because he loves it so much and has some OCD tendencies. but since we got more serious, it's not that big of a deal. we are eventually planning to share property and finances, so there's a lot of trust between us now.

you know what kind of driver she is and how responsible she is. just think about how much you would be stressing about her having your car every day and there's your answer.

TS
TS
ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson

Sep 3, 2007
Bay Area

I think the only SO I'd do that with were someone I had been with a few years and also lived with. Somehow in my head those kinds of milestones prove we could handle switching cars for money sake.

We've been dating for almost two years and known each other about six. Been living together a couple months now with 0 problems.. My rationale is about the same as yours.

TS
TS
ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson

Sep 3, 2007
Bay Area
How do you feel about her driving in general?

Be honest.

Fine... except when she's driving my car. She's been in one accident and had one speeding ticket in.. 6 or 7 years. Accident she rear ended someone when it was raining and they slammed their brakes on. I was actually driving right behind her when it happened. Nothing she could have done about it except follow a bit less close. She wasn't tail gating though.

When she drives my car she likes the power and tends to take off quickly. She's never driven recklessly (that I've witnessed) and she's driven the car (with and without me in it) before on several occasions with no problems. She knows I love my car almost as much as her and I trust her that she wouldn't fuck around with it. Plus, her commute is like 10 red lights in 2 miles. Hard to get above 40mph.

iwishyouwerebeer

you shut your cunt
Sep 1, 2006
Fine... except when she's driving my car. She's been in one accident and had one speeding ticket in.. 6 or 7 years. Accident she rear ended someone when it was raining and they slammed their brakes on. I was actually driving right behind her when it happened. Nothing she could have done about it except follow a bit less close. She wasn't tail gating though.

When she drives my car she likes the power and tends to take off quickly. She's never driven recklessly (that I've witnessed) and she's driven the car (with and without me in it) before on several occasions with no problems. She knows I love my car almost as much as her and I trust her that she wouldn't fuck around with it. Plus, her commute is like 10 red lights in 2 miles. Hard to get above 40mph.
Sounds like a no brainer :)

iwishyouwerebeer

you shut your cunt
Sep 1, 2006
Yea.. it really is. I just needed somebody to tell me to grow up and let her drive my car. It's paid off and I have full coverage insurance so if anything happens to it I won't be royally fucked.
I don't think it's really a case of "grow up," I mean I wouldn't be 100% confident in Mr. Beer driving my car either. He's a pretty sketchy driver...

I would imagine if she feels comfortable driving your car you just make it known to be extra careful :dunno:

JohnQPoster

Nov 12, 2010
If she drives your V8 2 miles twice a day the poor thing isn't gonna get warmed up.

Continuous short trips like that will kill it, it will never warm up and never get to circulate cooling fluid or motor oil. Repair costs will go through the roof and because everything is running so cold and for such a short time the gas mileage will be as low as possible.

I had a 94' caddy 4 door that I killed doing this. I had no trouble, I moved closer to work and in the winter the poor car never warmed up, never got to get running good, beat the shit out of it.

Be careful.

TS
TS
ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson

Sep 3, 2007
Bay Area
If she drives your V8 2 miles twice a day the poor thing isn't gonna get warmed up.

Continuous short trips like that will kill it, it will never warm up and never get to circulate cooling fluid or motor oil. Repair costs will go through the roof and because everything is running so cold and for such a short time the gas mileage will be as low as possible.

I had a 94' caddy 4 door that I killed doing this. I had no trouble, I moved closer to work and in the winter the poor car never warmed up, never got to get running good, beat the shit out of it.

Be careful.

I used to work with her and I drove it for two years that short of a drive with 0 problems. It gets plenty of exercise from me after work and on the weekends. It's not a garage queen by any means, just well taken care of

I appreciate the concern though.

THoC

Feb 5, 2007

:mamoru:

in a serious RS like yours i would have no problem allowing my SO to drive my car.
too bad i only drive a manual and have yet to date a girl recently that does too.

djshotglass

May 4, 2007

Be careful.

modern cars don't need to warm up. The computer compensates for the cold temps. Driving it short distances isn't going to kill it.

Amanda Ann

Jan 31, 2007
FL
We do it all the time. And TBH, he's driven my mother's car, too. :rofl: :rofl: (We borrowed it to drive on vacation last year because she gets better gas mileage and her AC worked better & I also borrowed it earlier this winter after my accident). :o

OT Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
FL
I trusted my ex driving my car more than I trust myself driving it. Actually, I trust basically any male and most females to drive my car more than myself. :\

[DWI]

Master of Nothing
Aug 6, 2000
Maine
I don't know about long term switch cars, but me and the SO always swap vehicles, going to home depot take the truck going to the mall take the car.

IslanderOffRoad

Do you even lift kit?
Dec 23, 2003
Houston, Tx

:werd:

My parents did it all the time.

It saddens me that I will probably have to give up driving stick one day because of this.

Diesel66

OT Supporter
Feb 20, 2005
Kc
I never let my ex drive my car, but I'd drive hers all the time. Silly asian that can't see over my hood :noes:

D7

OT Supporter
Dec 20, 2008
...too bad i only drive a manual and have yet to date a girl recently that does too.

:nono: Girls can't drive manuals. Duh!

I shared both of my cars with my ex husband when we shacked up and after we got married. I also drove his project car (when it was running) and he had no problem with that. Although I bought my second car because of conflicts with sharing my car when his project car (also his daily car) wasn't running.

Swarol

OT Supporter
Jun 19, 2007
New Hampshire
All my cars are manual and my wife doesn't know how to drive them. I had offered to teach her years ago, but she didn't really want to learn. I drive her car occasionally though :dunno:

I'm a little obsessive about cars, so even if she were able to drive mine I doubt I'd be ok with it.

TS
TS
ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson

Sep 3, 2007
Bay Area
All my cars are manual and my wife doesn't know how to drive them. I had offered to teach her years ago, but she didn't really want to learn. I drive her car occasionally though :dunno:

I'm a little obsessive about cars, so even if she were able to drive mine I doubt I'd be ok with it.

Felt this way for a long time but she likes cars and I know she appreciates the work I've put into mine. She wants an S2k :p Told her not until I graduate because I need to utilize her fuel efficient civic.

kiri

Mar 15, 2006
Miami, FL
my boyfriend and i share my car (it's also a manual honda civic). no problems so far. his name is on the insurance for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor