GUN Shooting clays for the 1st time tm... Pointers?

pathOFdisaster

Resident Ford Troll
OT Supporter
Aug 5, 2005
Delaware
Taking my dad out to shoot tomorrow for fathers day. He has a mossberg 500 that he has set up for goose... My 500... Not so much... Besides throwing the "normal" stock on it, think itll get the job done? And any pointers/ advice?.... And yes thus is an excuse to post gun pics lol

IMAG0058.jpg

TS
TS
pathOFdisaster

pathOFdisaster

Resident Ford Troll
OT Supporter
Aug 5, 2005
Delaware
Its a mossberg 500, 20 inch barrel.

I have a box of 100 shells... Should that be enough for 2of us? Or should I grab another 100?

HSTexan

Feb 25, 2008
MS
Ummmm....practice? Multiple ways to shoot...you can do a constant lead, a swing through, or a slow pull away. Find the method that works for you and make sure you keep the shotgun following through even after you pull the trigger. It'll take some practice, but you'll learn how to track the targets and the proper leads for different speeds.

Honestly the thing I've found helpful is just getting out and doing it more. I had never shot at a moving target with a shotgun when my buddy asked me to go dove hunting with him. The next year I decided I was gonna go shoot clays a couple times before dove season started. I shot 8 doves with 9 shells...practice makes perfect

HSTexan

Feb 25, 2008
MS
Also...20" barrel isn't really ideal, but it isn't impossible; you should try shooting his gun too to see the differences. If you enjoy it, it might be worth getting another 26" or 28" barrel for yours

And I'd grab another box of 100. Dunno how long you plan on being out there or what pace you are going through, but when I go shoot clays I like to practice a lot of different throws and paths so I can go through 75 myself easily in under an hour

TS
TS
pathOFdisaster

pathOFdisaster

Resident Ford Troll
OT Supporter
Aug 5, 2005
Delaware
I deff know its not the best set up to use, just looking to go and have some fun...im familiar with the gun and all, just never went clay shooting... Its just a "for fun" thing... Ill grab a 2nd box tho...and yes im sure ill shoot his with the longet barrel aswell

GammaRadiation

Feb 15, 2007
Random Location.FL
Clays are most fun in quick succession for me. I've gone through over 150 rounds in 2hr.

The nice thing about your gun is that it's an 8+1 moar targets with less down time for reloading.

Poverty Jets

Jul 26, 2010
Paid $30 per flight
Don't worry about people making fun of you when they see you shooting clays with a tactical shotgun :)

I have a mossberg 500 pistol grip and I do very well with it. Slightly lead the target and don't wait too long to shoot. If you let it get far away you'll never hit it.

GammaRadiation

Feb 15, 2007
Random Location.FL
Short barrels and no chokes just make your pattern huge so sometimes you'll be on point and not break the target and sometimes you'll be slightly off and still get a hit.

apman0000

OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2005
with no choke and a short barrel don't expect good results. just enjoy doing some shooting hitting the occasional clay.

hand thrown with a 20" barrel works fine, but a machine chucking those fuckers fast and far that short boom stick just makes it tough

and ignore the old fuckers who will look at you like you're from mars when they see your tactical shotty

TS
TS
pathOFdisaster

pathOFdisaster

Resident Ford Troll
OT Supporter
Aug 5, 2005
Delaware
Im just lookin to go out and have a goid time...ive gone to the range w our hand guns, and have shot the shitgun at the indoor range with the pistol grip for shits and giggles. Evem went goose hunting a few times.. Just never shot at clays... I could care less about doing great, just trying to have a good time, and show the old man whats up lol

As long as its not going to KILL me to use the short set up ill be content... And if I want to try to do good so to say ill just use his

GammaRadiation

Feb 15, 2007
Random Location.FL
Im just lookin to go out and have a goid time...ive gone to the range w our hand guns, and have shot the shitgun at the indoor range with the pistol grip for shits and giggles. Evem went goose hunting a few times.. Just never shot at clays... I could care less about doing great, just trying to have a good time, and show the old man whats up lol

As long as its not going to KILL me to use the short set up ill be content... And if I want to try to do good so to say ill just use his
I've taken my shotty to the indoor range to pattern it out and then just waste ammo. :rofl:

My buddy was in the booth next to me with his 45 and we were both just tearing paper for a solid 10min at one point. Some old dudes at the end were deff giving us the :squint: face.

apman0000

OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2005

sounds like you know what to expect, you'll hit some, just not as many as you would with the proper set up. and the throwers at clubs are on steroids, those machines chuck those fuckers fast and far

lead the clay a bit, you're gonna have to be quick though cause obviously the farther that clay gets the harder it is to hit especially with that shorty.

TS
TS
pathOFdisaster

pathOFdisaster

Resident Ford Troll
OT Supporter
Aug 5, 2005
Delaware
It actually went better then expected... I started hitting about half of them...by the end id say I hit about 18-21 each round...kicked my dads ass lol... Deff had a good time... Ill be going again very shortly

And good suggestion on the 2nd box... We went thru 4 rounds, so all 200 of em

jeepilot

Banned
Aug 12, 2005
KCMO
If you're looking to do actual trap and a real trap range you're gonna need something with a tighter choke than just Cyinder with a 20" barrel. If you're throwing your own from a hand thrower or your own machine you'd probably do ok. Skeet may be a little iffy.

Btw if you play by the rules, the extra mag tube will be just added weight that serves no advantage.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor