Should I buy this LS swapped Winnebago?

TS
TS
skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs

It feels like real butter
Jan 26, 2001
NBTX
The tune doesn’t seem to be the problem. He said I had a bad vacuum leak that was most likely the manifold gaskets. Suggested that I do the in tank pump, fuel pressure regulator, and the intake shield. I need to check all the plugs, too.

I did the intake gaskets today and it made a huge different in the idle. The old ones didn’t look bad, they were probably changed when they prepped the engine for the swap, but the bolts weren’t very tight and there was a lot of grit around them. Might have been ok reusing the old gaskets, but I cleaned everything up and replaced them anyway. Fuel pump parts will be here Saturday and the regulator will be here Sunday or Monday. Should be another fun weekend.

TS
TS
skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs

Jan 26, 2001
NBTX
When I get all my shit fixed I’ll take it back and we’ll do some road tuning. Might put it on the dyno if I can squeeze it through his door.:mamoru:
Might have to take the ladder off to get it in.

TS
TS
skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs

Jan 26, 2001
NBTX
Alright, I need somebody with LS knowledge to help me. I can’t get rid of this hesitation, sputter, misfire bullshit. I’ve done the following… and maybe more that I’m forgetting. Fuel trim on B1 is still high. B2 is normal. Only code on the last test drive after most of these changes was for a random misfire.
Compression is good
New intake manifold gaskets
Cleaned MAF
New plugs
New wires
Checked for vacuum leaks, plugged EGR correctly to fix leak
New O2 sensor on B1, it was throwing heater code
Swapped coil packs side to side

I was hoping to take this thing this weekend, but it’s not looking good. Pretty much have 1 afternoon left to get parts.

@somebodythatcanfixthismotherfuckerbecauseimaboutoburnitthefuckdowninmydriveway

@denmah …. probably… most likely. Sorry, I need help. I’ve watched all of Dane Thompson’s vids and you helped him with his dumb Winnebago. :rofl:

Last edited:

cjonesy22002

at least i wasn't an 06
OT Supporter
Jan 15, 2005
clt nc
Alright, I need somebody with LS knowledge to help me. I can’t get rid of this hesitation, sputter, misfire bullshit. I’ve done the following… and maybe more that I’m forgetting. Fuel trim on B1 is still high. B2 is normal. Only code on the last test drive after most of these changes was for a random misfire.
Compression is good
Cleaned MAF
New plugs
New wires

I was hoping to take this thing this weekend, but it’s not looking good. Pretty much have 1 afternoon left to get parts.

@denmah …. probably… most likely. Sorry, I need help. I’ve watched all of Dane Thompson’s vids and you helped him with his dumb Winnebago. :rofl:
does it have an obd2 port? what are the codes?

TS
TS
skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs

Jan 26, 2001
NBTX
does it have an obd2 port? what are the codes?
P0300 is the only one since all the parts vomit.
Before that I had knock, O2 heater B1, random misfire. I might drive it to work tomorrow to see what exactly it’s doing now. 8 mile round trip through town, so it should be just enough to see what’s going on without fucking anything up.
Love you CJ

Reactions: cjonesy22002

cjonesy22002

at least i wasn't an 06
OT Supporter
Jan 15, 2005
clt nc
p0300 misfire detected. i've only worked on one ls, dad's truck 01 5.3 sierra, over 300k, only code it ever had (for a decade
) was specific to knock sensor (located under manifold) only time it goes hard is when it rains a lot so it was dismissed as wiring when it gets wet.

worst it ever ran was a long run and it would not idle for shit. had to put it in neutral any stop or it would die. brought it back cleaned the throttle body and didn't have that shit happen again

@denmah @cowboyrps13 @glen5839

TS
TS
skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs

Jan 26, 2001
NBTX
p0300 misfire detected. i've only worked on one ls, dad's truck 01 5.3 sierra, over 300k, only code it ever had (for a decade
) was specific to knock sensor (located under manifold) only time it goes hard is when it rains a lot so it was dismissed as wiring when it gets wet.

worst it ever ran was a long run and it would not idle for shit. had to put it in neutral any stop or it would die. brought it back cleaned the throttle body and didn't have that shit happen again

@denmah @cowboyrps13 @glen5839
I figure if it was something like that it would affect both banks. The knock sensor on my 6.0 is on the top rear of the manifold.

93rx7

OT Supporter
Feb 14, 2009
Your base
Compression is good
Cleaned MAF
New plugs
New wires

does it do it at idle? if you have a heat gun see if you have a dead hole by shooting at the exh ports

or unplug each coil one at a time while its running and see if one of them doesn't make it worse

Nikuk

This simulation needs a reboot
OT Supporter
Jun 24, 2005
Buffalo, NY. Again.
does it do it at idle? if you have a heat gun see if you have a dead hole by shooting at the exh ports

or unplug each coil one at a time while its running and see if one of them doesn't make it worse
So, what he means is thermometer gun, not heat gun.
And, unplug the small wire connector from the coils one at a time - NOT the spark plugs wires.

TS
TS
skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs

Jan 26, 2001
NBTX

So, what he means is thermometer gun, not heat gun.
And, unplug the small wire connector from the coils one at a time - NOT the spark plugs wires.
It idles rough. I do have one, and I may borrow the IR camera from work for the weekend. Thanks.

cowboyrps13

couchlock loves to lick my booty hole
OT Supporter
Aug 4, 2002
NC
Grounds and pulling spark from each cylinder is a good start.

If you find a coil that makes no difference when you unplug it, make sure you move it to another cylinder and see if the issue follows. If not, it could be a bad injector.

I had two dead injectors on my last ls swap. I replaced all 8 and bought a spare coil just in case.

Reactions: skeletor25rs

cowboyrps13

OT Supporter
Aug 4, 2002
NC
I think I have two grounds on the engine. One from the cylinder head to firewall and another from the block to battery neg. It never hurts to have more

Reactions: skeletor25rs

cowboyrps13

OT Supporter
Aug 4, 2002
NC
@JerseyAhole @jrmcm @Bugalu @cowboyrps13

Serious question, check your ground to the block?

I would also clean/replace O2 sensors.
I have bad cats and bad secondary o2 sensors on my truck. I also took one primary sensor out and ran it. I never noticed a difference in driveability with these.

It has a cam in it and I didn't realize it had bad injectors at first either. :o

So don't rule it out. Just doesn't make sense in my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman