Should I buy this LS swapped Winnebago?

victor77

Internet Crew
OT Supporter
Mar 13, 2011
Internets
In my experience all RV A/C are junk. Better to have too much than too little.
That’s not an RV AC, it’s a mini split.

But yeah they can be underpowered in general. My 26ft TT has a 15k unit and in the summer in the desert when it’s hot AF I am lucky if I can maintain ~80 inside.

• Wow
Reactions: Jon91SE

Jasonj

OT Supporter
Nov 26, 2006
Atlanta
Protip: in a 40 year old coach the engine was NOT the weakest link.

this.

it's cool for nostalgia purposes and to be recognized, but for actual usage and ownership, it's probably terrible. Sure, there's some modern touches they added, but you still have an old ass vehicle on the road and camping in. If you're able to live with that, then by all means, go ahead and buy. For the same price, I'd be getting something way nicer, and way newer though.

Reactions: EMML and Nikuk

DasVWBabe

OT's Diamond and Gemstone Tutorial Creator
OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2002
Frisconia
Why do I like this?

That paisley interior fabric and avocado green cabinets! @Sam Gamgee - how hard would it be to modernize this enough to make it function for current times but still keep it mostly vintage?

Reactions: skeletor25rs

Nikuk

This simulation needs a reboot
OT Supporter
Jun 24, 2005
Buffalo, NY. Again.
this.

it's cool for nostalgia purposes and to be recognized, but for actual usage and ownership, it's probably terrible. Sure, there's some modern touches they added, but you still have an old ass vehicle on the road and camping in. If you're able to live with that, then by all means, go ahead and buy. For the same price, I'd be getting something way nicer, and way newer though.
:rofl: Have you seen his daily driver?

I have an acquaintance who bought an 80s Winnebago cause it was cheap and cool... Sure, it doesn't let the rain in but otherwise it's been nothing but headaches since and for what he bought it for plus what he's put into it he could've bought a 10 year old unit that drives better, is more comfortable, more reliable, and has modern features.

• Haha
Reactions: skeletor25rs

couchlock

digital nomad
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
The Highway
Would cook meth in
get in line buddy

1jfe41n.png

TS
TS
skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs

Yetis & Deer
Jan 26, 2001
NBTX
Lots of RV parks have 10yr old rules for RVs, so you might not be able to take that thing to a lot of places if you're planning to do that rather than dry camp.
We would rarely need to stay in a park. Mostly need it for our own property and the occasional state/national park trip.
All my vehicles are over 10 years old.

Reactions: victor77

Sam Gamgee

Every tool is weapon if you hold it right.
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2001
Western MA
I assume the couch makes into the bed? Or do you just sleep outside?

That'd be my biggest beef... you'd have to make and unmake the bed every day.

I like a rig that has a separate bed area that you can just roll into when you've had one too many around the fire pit.

Sam Gamgee

Every tool is weapon if you hold it right.
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2001
Western MA
Why do I like this?

That paisley interior fabric and avocado green cabinets! @Sam Gamgee - how hard would it be to modernize this enough to make it function for current times but still keep it mostly vintage?
I think the idea is that you live in the past, like some sort of Neanderthal.
Personally, I'd rather have a couple of more creature comforts. like an actual mattress to sleep on. Not some paisley throw pillows and a piece of 40 year old foam.

TS
TS
skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs

Yetis & Deer
Jan 26, 2001
NBTX
I assume the couch makes into the bed? Or do you just sleep outside?

That'd be my biggest beef... you'd have to make and unmake the bed every day.

I like a rig that has a separate bed area that you can just roll into when you've had one too many around the fire pit.
Right now, when we go to our property, I either sleep in my roof top tent or on the couch in my parents’ motor home.:rofl:

lugoismad

Jul 22, 2006
Unless they used aftermarket rubber hoses for that mini split install, its gonna leak the first time you take that for a drive.

Reactions: alex

Jasonj

OT Supporter
Nov 26, 2006
Atlanta
:rofl: Have you seen his daily driver?

I have an acquaintance who bought an 80s Winnebago cause it was cheap and cool... Sure, it doesn't let the rain in but otherwise it's been nothing but headaches since and for what he bought it for plus what he's put into it he could've bought a 10 year old unit that drives better, is more comfortable, more reliable, and has modern features.

I have not...

And yeah a lot of people find old stuff to be cool, only to realize how much better shit has gotten over the last 40 years...

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman