shutdown.exe

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by EmiB, Apr 27, 2006.

1. EmiB

EmiB New Member

We have a simple peer to peer network at work. One of the other interns discovered "shutdown.exe" and is annoying the fuck out of me by shutting down my PC while Im in the middle of work. How can I turn that crap to have no effect on my PC (2k pro) I have admin rights to my PC. Please Help... thnx

2. EvilSS

EvilSS Active Member

Remove his access from the local Administrators group or use the local security policy to modify who can shut down the PC.

3. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

Kill him

4. EmiB

EmiB New Member

Unfortunetly he is in charge of IT here :rolleyes:

I cant kill him, cuz if I eliminate him I will have to answer stupid ass IT questions these old imbecils ask him all the time

5. EvilSS

EvilSS Active Member

An intern is in charge of IT?

6. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

The IT guy is shutting your computer down while you're working? His ass needs to go.

That being said you can cancel the shutdown by typing:

shutdown /a

at a command prompt, assuming he isn't telling it to shutdown immediately.

7. EmiB

EmiB New Member

Yeah, a multimilion international company... I'm in charge of Operations and Im an intern too :(

Beauty of working in a family owned environemnt... squeez every penny you can get :hs:

8. EmiB

EmiB New Member

Cool thnx...

Yeah he needs to go, but owners wont do shit :ugh2:

sometimes he fawks around and leave me stupid ass comments when its shutting down, other times Im working and the shit just shuts down.

Anything I can do in registry or policies??

9. 7960

7960 New Member

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I was about to suggest a way to prevent him from accessing your computer, but I think the best approach here is to walk into his office and punch him in the stomach every time he does it. He's clearly too immature for the job, and trying to block his access will just be a challenge to him. If you block his access, he might just go on your file server and delete all your shit. Then where will you be?

11. Yep

You could install a firewall. Sygate is free. If he just discovered shutdown.exe he probably isn't bright enough to figure it out. Just lock it down tight. I forget what port shutdown uses, 439 or something.

12. EmiB

EmiB New Member

:mamoru: we dont have file servers, plus our new machines are $200 POSs from ubid :hsugh:

13. EmiB

EmiB New Member

Yeah sounds good but Im not going to stoop down to his level... Im sure he will get bored of it... just in case he will remember it every now and then I dont want to have my whole days work wiped out cuz some punk thinks its funny.

Yeah I read that thread before that registry thingie didnt do anything.

14. EmiB

EmiB New Member

:bowdown: Firewall... how come I didnt think of that earlier :uh:

15. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Next time he does it, go to his office/cube and SCREAM at the top of your lungs about how you just lost two hours work on something important. Better yet, WAIT until you are asked to do something important by the boss and then tell him that you just lost 4 hours of work because turd boy shutdown your computer. Be irate and upset.

This sounds like a problem that calls for social, as opposed to technical, engineering.

16. Nick Gerz

Nick Gerz OT Supporter

17. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

multimillion international company runs a peer to peer network and $200 POS?:confused:

18. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Regardless, if he can send remote commands to shut down your computer, he can send remote commands to format your hard drive. Come up with a way to get this guy fired, or at least suspended; his behavior should not be your problem.

Install Sygate Personal Firewall (find it on download.com). It's a very effective and communicative firewall (its also free forever), and it lets you know what IP addresses are communicating with your computer and what programs they are trying to access. It also saves several log files. If you can show, using those messages and those log files, that the IT guy's computer is the one sending the commands, then your company will HAVE to do something about it.

19. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

upgrade your system to xp pro sp2...i think it won't let it work anymore

we used to do that in class, but we would goto computer management, then under file click connect to a remote computer and select the dorks computer, then we'd goto properties or something and it would allow a shutdown.
    we also used a program package called pstools, it had a tool called psshutdown that would work similar to the shutdown command.
    the best was a program called pskill, it allowed you to kill a process, even a system process and bluescreen the computer.
    everyone had the same password and username, so maybe thats why it worked so well. i just changed my password and i was never bothered.

isn't this a group policy or something?

20. EmiB

EmiB New Member

Can't upgrade shit, 1) the machines would not handle it 2) Licensing and such 3) people would have a fit that I have a "better" computer than teh rest

Yeah we use to net send the teachers computer when they were doing presentations. :mamoru:

Yeah man, surprised the hell out of me when I got here. We run so inefficiently but the owners make humongous profits... thats totally against what I learned in school "Have to stay competitive and efficient or you gonna go under" :dunno:

21. EmiB

EmiB New Member

Yeah everyone is able to access everyones computer. Jeez I can even get blueprints from the drafters computers, and open my own competeing business, based on all the work they did :mamoru:

Firewall it is... sounds like the only option I have

Yeah its fun here as hell. Its a fawkin circus, and I would love the job if they paid me more... people almost get in fist fight over here and the owners encourage this cuz they learned in Harvard that "conflict can be constructive" :mamoru:

22. Yep

That pstools is probably just a GUI WMI interface. I have a custom VB.NET program I wrote that gives me a treeview layout of all our computers at each store. Using basic WMI commands I can reboot, shutdown, view and kill processes, see who's logged in, see what services are loaded on the computer, view and modify attached printers, etc etc. If I see something suspicious I can launch another app I wrote that remotely installs and launchs A VNC server on their computer so I can see what they're doing or take full control. It took some time to develop but it has saved me quite some time doing menial tasks.

EDIT: Man... Snagit is terrible at compressing jpg images cleanly.
    [​IMG]

23. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

pstools is all command line. it was cool that we could fit it all on a floppy (computers didn't have front usb ports for flash drives)