CAR silly question regarding buffers

KingGargantuan

♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖
Oct 4, 2001
VABeach
i bought a cheap one from harbor freight, based on the recommendations from autopia. i only plan on using it once or twice a year so it's all good.

my question is on the pads.

it came with a pretty thick sponge type pad that had velcro on the back. are you supposed to use that pad by itself, directly with the polish on the car, or are you supposed to put the bonnets over the sponge pad?

i've seen a few videos where they seem to be using just the sponge.

TS
TS
KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan

♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖
Oct 4, 2001
VABeach
i'll try that, just the pad. the car is a MESS. no wax, hasnt been washed in it's life, seems like, other than when i washed it when i got it. i picked up megiuars cleaner-polish but returned it for a swirl remover polish but, after trying the wool pad over the foam pad with the swirl remover, i'm thinking i need something alot more abrasive so i'm going to go back and get the other cleaner stuff. i'll see if i can find a pic of the product i'm talking about.

there's also a few spots on the hood where it looks like bird poop sat there for a year. :hsd:

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0684.jpg

TS
TS
KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan

♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖
Oct 4, 2001
VABeach
holy crap i'm doing it wrong.

1. i put the pad on the DA, then i put the polishing bonnet on the pad.

WRONG

2. i put way too much polish on the bonnet and spread it on the section i wanted to polish.

3. i wiped it off with a terry cloth towel.

wtf :rofl:

i just watched a vid, i didnt know i was supposed to spread the polish, let it haze, THEN buff it out with the buffing pad.

holy crap i'm a retard

TS
TS
KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan

♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖
Oct 4, 2001
VABeach
ok, do we have a "rotary usage for dummys" type link anywhere?

i put the polish on the foam pad and spread it on the car. i let it dry then tried to buff it.
as it was getting darker, i put wax on another pad and spread it. let it dry, buff by hand. it looked good last night. well, better than this.

d175dd98.jpg

047bf360.jpg

using Drill Master polisher
meguiars ultimate compound
meguiars #26 high gloss wax

standard foam pad that came with drill master polisher

i'm pretty sure those marks/holograms? follow the pattern i used when putting the compound on with the foam pad. just not sure what kind of pad and polish/compound i should use to clean it up.

i do have some meguiars ultimate polish i could try though when i first tried it, after spreading it on a wool bonnet and putting on the car, it didnt seem to do much. probably because of the bonnet. also didnt buff it after it dried, i wiped it off with a towel.

super noob. halp? :hsd:

TS
TS
KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan

♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖
Oct 4, 2001
VABeach
plus there's spots of polish all over that i didnt manage to get off last night. probably need to wash it again and maybe even clay bar it? i have a meguiars clay bar pack.

Scottwax

Making detailing great again!
May 5, 2000
Home of the Texas Rangers
The rotary IS NOT FOR BEGINNERS! Should have spend the money on a good DA polisher.

You have a huge mess there. You will need something like Meguiars #205 or Optimum Hyper Polish with a cutting foam pad, followed by a polishing foam pad, then finish with 3M Ultrafina using a blue Ultrafina foam waffle pad.

TS
TS
KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan

♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖
Oct 4, 2001
VABeach
The rotary IS NOT FOR BEGINNERS! Should have spend the money on a good DA polisher.

You have a huge mess there. You will need something like Meguiars #205 or Optimum Hyper Polish with a cutting foam pad, followed by a polishing foam pad, then finish with 3M Ultrafina using a blue Ultrafina foam waffle pad.

:uh:

thanks.

another noob question, related to the beginning of this thread.

do i - put 205/hyper polish on cutting foam pad then spread the polish across the area - then let it dry, then i'm guessing use the polishing foam pad on the dry polish?

then spread ultrafina on a blue foam waffle pad, put on car... then use what to polish the ultrafina once it's dry?

or should i just go at it via hand polishing?

quamen

Nov 14, 2003
you cant hand polish that type of mess out. Put some of the 205 polish on a mild cut polishing pad and work it slowly so it doesn't sling, then speed up to about 1500 rpm using the correct side to side buffing motion. Wipe it off and see what it looks like. IF it is getting better, hit it again and take another look. If no improvement step up one bad and then try the above method again.

Scottwax

Making detailing great again!
May 5, 2000
Home of the Texas Rangers
You do not need to worry about letting polish dry, you need to work it for a few minutes then remove immediately. If you are letting it dry, you are increasing the risk of marring. Not sure where you are getting the idea that polish needs to dry before removing but you need to get that out of your head.

With Ultrafina, you work it lightly to spread at 1000 rpms, then do several slow passes with enough pressure to light compress the pad at 1800 rpms, then ease up the pressure, back down to 1000 rpms for a couple more passes, then wipe off immediately.

You aren't going to get squat out of VW paint by hand.

TS
TS
KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan

♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖
Oct 4, 2001
VABeach
got it, i dont know where i saw a video that they were letting it dry then "buffing" it again.

i managed to find an old DA black and decker random orbital polisher in the shed, something i picked up for two bucks at a yard sale years ago and never used. i put a bonnet on that with some ultimate compound and it got that hazing/swirl stuff out. :bigthumb: i just tested it on one corner of the hood this time. i dont need this paint to be perfect, just want it protected better than it is currently.

there are a few spots where bird crap sat too long and the pain is broken up. it's taking in the wax/polish and making those spots stand out. :uh:

i think i'll just give it a once over with the black and decker+sponge pad+ultimate compound, then pad+ultimate polish, then wax it, done.

it will need repaint sometime in the future anyway.

i'll use this one to learn on.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor