CREW Sim Racing

Nikuk

This simulation needs a reboot
OT Supporter
Jun 24, 2005
Buffalo, NY. Again.
Holy shit I forgot just how much better irFFB makes things.

I put the hardware together a few weeks ago and had been playing around with the Formula Vee and the MX5.
This week my schedule is incredibly free and the MX5 is at Watkins Glen, a track I like because I've driven it a bunch in real life.

Yesterday, over 4 race sessions, I turned in something like 90 laps but nothing was quite right and I can't do better than a mid-1:27s lap.
I join in this morning and see someone mention irFFB and a light bulb goes off! I get it up and running again and maybe 10 minutes later I turn in a 1:26.8 quali, and then my average over whole of the 18 lap race was 1:27.228

Phew, I'm not completely retarded afterall

Reactions: yonson

Freonthewhite

FrEoN
OT Supporter
Oct 22, 2004
New Jersey
I've been looking at sim racing, but i've always been a mac person. how much do you think it would take to get a halfway decent wheel, cockpit, pc, & tv? 2k? 3k?
Interested in formula 1 stuff but open to others

Nikuk

OT Supporter
Jun 24, 2005
Buffalo, NY. Again.
$2k minimum, and if you're enjoying it at that level expect to spend another $6k when you start completely over and build a cockpit with triples and a real wheel and pedals set.

Reactions: Freonthewhite

Nikuk

OT Supporter
Jun 24, 2005
Buffalo, NY. Again.
Wheel base is the #1 priority, its what allows you to feel the car (weight transfer, under / oversteer, when braking puts the car on its nose, etc). If you buy a decent base you can find whatever reasonably cheap wheel to go with it for now and swap whatever you want later. (Can start with $800 - $1500)
Pedals are easily #2. You can get around alright with a $40 set of pedals, but a real brake pedal will make you faster because it gives you better control. (Can start with $300 - $600)

Next - If you're planning on racing then I'd say as much screen real estate as you can fit; then a decent cockpit because good ergonomics will make everything a little better; then PC as necessary to keep up with your Rendering & FPS desires.
Otherwise - If you're more looking to cruise around solo or play in single player stuff then I'd probably go cockpit; nice high res display; then PC.

Most of these games just need a high clock speed CPU so you can do fine with a $200 i5. After that its all about GPU and how much you want to crank up the settings - you can get away with a six year old 1080 if necessary. Then you will need a 1tb drive, or bigger.

I've run all kinds of display setups (including VR) and if you have the room for it I will absolutely recommend triples, but if space is sparse you can't go wrong with a nice single ultrawide (32:9) 49" monitor.

Last edited:

Nikuk

OT Supporter
Jun 24, 2005
Buffalo, NY. Again.
Once you buying the higher end stuff, almost all of the hardware holds value reasonably well. I've bought, used, and then sold wheel bases while "only" losing 10% of my out of pocket cost.

yonson

OT sux...
OT Supporter
Jul 25, 2006
Motor City...
I've been looking at sim racing, but i've always been a mac person. how much do you think it would take to get a halfway decent wheel, cockpit, pc, & tv? 2k? 3k?
Interested in formula 1 stuff but open to others
Now is a shitty time to be trying to get into a gaming PC... For something that works well you are going to need to either get lucky finding a GPU or buy a prebuilt with a decent card ($1500 - $2000)
A decent wheel/base and pedals are going to set you back at least $500, but I would just buy once cry once and get something a little better for around $1000, cockpit can be anywhere from a couple hundred to a grand or even more if you get crazy, if you are serious about wanting to get into it then I would suggest running a triple monitor setup, you can either do 27's or 32's, if you aren't quite sure you want to go that crazy you could try one of the 49" ultrawides.

For the wheel/base/pedals I would either get Fanatec or Thrustmaster
For a cockpit/monitor stand I have GT Omega and Trak Racer with triple 32's
For a PC something like one of these would be perfect:

I've probably got around $10k in my setup, but I use it every single day and enjoy the hell out of it... Also when I'm not racing I have it mining which currently makes about $7 a day or a little over $2500 a year...

Reactions: Freonthewhite

Nikuk

OT Supporter
Jun 24, 2005
Buffalo, NY. Again.
Now is a shitty time to be trying to get into a gaming PC... For something that works well you are going to need to either get lucky finding a GPU or buy a prebuilt with a decent card ($1500 - $2000)
A decent wheel/base and pedals are going to set you back at least $500, but I would just buy once cry once and get something a little better for around $1000, cockpit can be anywhere from a couple hundred to a grand or even more if you get crazy, if you are serious about wanting to get into it then I would suggest running a triple monitor setup, you can either do 27's or 32's, if you aren't quite sure you want to go that crazy you could try one of the 49" ultrawides.

For the wheel/base/pedals I would either get Fanatec or Thrustmaster
For a cockpit/monitor stand I have GT Omega and Trak Racer with triple 32's
For a PC something like one of these would be perfect:

I've probably got around $10k in my setup, but I use it every single day and enjoy the hell out of it... Also when I'm not racing I have it mining which currently makes about $7 a day or a little over $2500 a year...
A little earlier today I was trying to look up info about using a curved projector setup, and failing that maybe copying the triple large TV panels :embd:

• Wow

yonson

OT sux...
OT Supporter
Jul 25, 2006
Motor City...
A little earlier today I was trying to look up info about using a curved projector setup, and failing that maybe copying the triple large TV panels :embd:

I wouldn't want to use that much space, but for me triple 32's is the sweet spot, I tried 27's, and while they did work, I just wasn't happy with them...

• Wow
Reactions: Cicada

Nikuk

OT Supporter
Jun 24, 2005
Buffalo, NY. Again.
I wouldn't want to use that much space, but for me triple 32's is the sweet spot, I tried 27's, and while they did work, I just wasn't happy with them...
That's how I ended up with 32s also.
The PPI is a low but more than anything else I just wish I could raise the wheel 3-4" higher or lower the screens... But I'd have to push the monitors back ~12" to do so because of the length of the DD1. This has irked me for about a year now.

yonson

OT sux...
OT Supporter
Jul 25, 2006
Motor City...
That's how I ended up with 32s also.
The PPI is a low but more than anything else I just wish I could raise the wheel 3-4" higher or lower the screens... But I'd have to push the monitors back ~12" to do so because of the length of the DD1. This has irked me for about a year now.
Hmmm, I'm quite happy with my placement. I've got the center monitor about half an inch above the DD1 and about 3.25" back from the front of it. Would lowering your seat help you any?

Yeahdoug

I paid money for this shit?
OT Supporter
Oct 9, 2003
Charlotte
Finally upgraded my computer. Went from 660 to 2070 Super. Minimum settings to 4K with everything maxed. So much more enjoyable :rofl:

Nikuk

OT Supporter
Jun 24, 2005
Buffalo, NY. Again.
Okay hear me out.
I was a C license.
Last week I raced a C series all week and dragged my SR back up and over 4... Got promoted to B license.
The promotion puts me right at a B 3.45...
I went and ran 4 B series time trials...
If I don't touch anything then in a week and a half I should get promoted to A, right?

Also, btw, this is why I think the Licenses should not be considered a way to denote skill levels :rofl:

yonson

OT sux...
OT Supporter
Jul 25, 2006
Motor City...
Okay hear me out.
I was a C license.
Last week I raced a C series all week and dragged my SR back up and over 4... Got promoted to B license.
The promotion puts me right at a B 3.45...
I went and ran 4 B series time trials...
If I don't touch anything then in a week and a half I should get promoted to A, right?

Also, btw, this is why I think the Licenses should not be considered a way to denote skill levels :rofl:
Yup, and if you get over 4.0 you will auto promote to A... I don't even care about skill level anymore, it's the iRating that tells the real story...

Reactions: Nikuk

Nikuk

OT Supporter
Jun 24, 2005
Buffalo, NY. Again.
Yup, and if you get over 4.0 you will auto promote to A... I don't even care about skill level anymore, it's the iRating that tells the real story...
Yeah my irating took a hit because I was flat out avoiding battles and waving people by left and right. I'm down to 1300 atm

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.9.0 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnaaMariaa