TECH Sirius Satellite Radio

poz

Sep 9, 2007
I'm looking to get satellite radio for my 01 jetta :)o), and I'm not sure exactly what I have to purchase. I obviously know that I need the radio itself along with a subscription but other than that, I'm clueless. I have the stock radio and it has a tape player in it. I want the best quality I can get without having to replace the headunit. Any help is appreciated, thanks. :)

TS
TS
poz

poz

Sep 9, 2007
I've read that siruis is the equivalent of 64 kbps
I've read that you get 64kbps online when you stream but it sounds really good in cars. You apparently have to pay 3 dollars extra month to get 128kbps online, which I won't do because I won't be listening it to much online. ;)

dorkultra

OT's resident crohns dude
OT Supporter
Oct 14, 2005
nilbog, trollhio
cheapest option for decent quality is to get a tape adapter with a headphone jack and plug it into the radio...ugly, but it will work for cheap

a better option would be to get an adapter that will work with the headunit. i have an 05 scion tc and i about $60 for an adapter (auxillary input convertor) that basically tricks the stock cd player into thinking that it has a cd changer attached, but instead allows me to switch to the cd changer and use it as an input. i have my sirius sportster 2 hooked up to it. i also have the headphone jack split, so that i can plug it into my ipod. this option gives you the best possible sound.

check this out:
http://www.logjamelectronics.com/pievwaux.html

read everything though, because if you have a cd player - it will require a special kit. i bought mine from this company and called first, they were pretty knowledgable

TS
TS
poz

poz

Sep 9, 2007
get it. it's worth it. jason ellis sirius channel 28 faction 3pm to 7pm eastern weekdays

funniest shit you will ever hear
yeah, i'd be getting it for music for the most part, but i'd still listen to comedy and other shit on there as well for sure. i dont have a cd player in my car and i think that it'd a much better investment to go with sirius because of the huge amount of different music and shit on there. i also don't really want to replace the headunit as i said before because i like the stock one. :)

btw, thanks dorkultra, ill check into that.

benk016

O&A Crew
May 26, 2006
Oklahoma
just so you know, xm and sirius have the same music channels now, so the only difference is the talk and sports.

TS
TS
poz

poz

Sep 9, 2007
I got the radio tonight and it's getting installed on Saturday. I ended up going with the fm modulator because I think the quality should be fine. I'm pretty excited to get rid of the shitty radio and listen to commercial free music.

benk016

O&A Crew
May 26, 2006
Oklahoma
XM's sound quality has went down more and more over the years. I didn't really notice a drop when they merged channels. But I'm getting Sirius in my new fusion, and I can definitely tell a huge quality difference there. You can hear all the garble in the background much easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan