TECH Site analysis

acmatt92

Jan 26, 2011
NC
I have posted my site one time before this. It has underwent some pretty intense changes. I would like some feedback on it to see what everyone thinks and maybe suggest some changes. Please dont ban I am just looking for some useful information. Hope you like it :wiggle:

allwebusers.com

TS
TS

acmatt92

Jan 26, 2011
NC
What is wrong with the welcome page? And how does it look like it had a C-section? lol

Pepsi1975

Mod of the Year
Jan 6, 2005
Detroit
get rid of the welcome page, that shit was cool in the 90s, but not now

and wow your design is horrible, go back and redo it

and make one more thread about your shitty site and you will be banned dumbass

TS
TS

acmatt92

Jan 26, 2011
NC

Well what would be a better idea for the homepage then? If you want to say something about it atleast say what to do instead! Obviously it isnt the best and I cant seem to figure out how to change the background.

Pepsi1975

Mod of the Year
Jan 6, 2005
Detroit
Well what would be a better idea for the homepage then? If you want to say something about it atleast say what to do instead! Obviously it isnt the best and I cant seem to figure out how to change the background.
my advice to you is hire someone to do it

pet droid

May 12, 2010

jesus christ, whats up your ass? he is probably spamming his terrible site, but there's no need to be a dick about it.

YourMomOnRyeBun

Sep 6, 2006
Houston, TX
Wow...that does remind me of the late 90's.

Lose the welcome page and the hit counter. Nothing screams "no one visits my site" faster than a hit counter that as a visitor I notice A) doesn't have many hits and B) is only one hit higher today than it was yesterday

Browse some other sites that are similar to what you are trying to accomplish and benchmark what they do...

Pepsi1975

Mod of the Year
Jan 6, 2005
Detroit
jesus christ, whats up your ass? he is probably spamming his terrible site, but there's no need to be a dick about it.
shut the fuck up noob

he is lucky he has not been banned yet, he is a 11 with 2 threads dedicated to his site, that is considered spam, so I can be a dick all I want

TS
TS

acmatt92

Jan 26, 2011
NC
Wow...that does remind me of the late 90's.

Lose the welcome page and the hit counter. Nothing screams "no one visits my site" faster than a hit counter that as a visitor I notice A) doesn't have many hits and B) is only one hit higher today than it was yesterday

Browse some other sites that are similar to what you are trying to accomplish and benchmark what they do...

Ok thanks for the advice. I am not trying to spam my site obviously because it isnt working. Just looking on some feedback on where to go from here. Being it my first site I have found a whole lot of challenges and I need to have all others tell me what is wrong. Of course it looks good to me but not everyone will think so. But it is extremly hard to get traffic!!! :wtc:

TS
TS

acmatt92

Jan 26, 2011
NC
shut the fuck up noob

he is lucky he has not been banned yet, he is a 11 with 2 threads dedicated to his site, that is considered spam, so I can be a dick all I want

Oh I'm sorry I thought it this was a place to find help. Excuse me for the other 30 post that was not even about this site!! I must be a spammer because I get on here everyday to read some helpful information but for the information that I have not found like feedback is not on here! It could help others that make crappy sites that may be similar to mine..I'll just be the one to take the constructive criticism ;)

JesterFX

Oct 10, 2004
Don't let the angry boys get you down...

Sure, it seemed like you were trying to get traffic to your site when you first posted it but it's obvious, at least to me, that you are actually putting in a lot of effort and learning on your own...though honestly, it doesn't show to us ;). But we may not be your target audience so that may not matter at all. The important thing is that you keep at it and keep learning and build what you want. Hopefully others will find some use of it too.

So, what exactly are you trying to do with the site? Is it just something you want to make as a portal type place for random people? Do you have a specific crowd you would like visiting and hanging out?

Are there any other sites out there that are doing what you want to do? Sites that you really like either design-wise or function? Is there something you are trying to make your site like?

So far it doesn't look like you have added much of your own unique content. Mostly just a bunch of random content feeds that doesn't seem to have any general theme. Is this content that you just want in one place for yourself or are you trying to fill a specific need for a specific type of visitor?

Honestly, as a "regular visitor" I don't see any one reason to come back to the site. I don't need news feeds or unrelated videos. If you post something that is specific to a niche that interest me I can see a reason to come back for the new content but right now, there really isn't any reason to visit. Unless your main focus is going to be the forum/community and if that is the case you don't even need the other pages yet. Just work your ass off to get the conversations going and building in the forums. You can add a blog or something later if needed (if you are focusing on the forums). But to be perfectly honest, forums are HARD to get going...even very specific niche forums can be a pain but just random general topic forums are almost impossible to get going well without something to bring the people together.

I don't mean to be a downer at all, in fact the opposite. I think you should stick with it as it's the only real way to learn. But definitely figure out your focus and maybe niche and work towards making it an invaluable resource of unique content related to that focus/niche. If you find a niche you enjoy and can provide good unique content for you will eventually find an audience. The rest will fall into place after that as they will naturally want more space to communicate.

TS
TS

acmatt92

Jan 26, 2011
NC
Don't let the angry boys get you down...

Sure, it seemed like you were trying to get traffic to your site when you first posted it but it's obvious, at least to me, that you are actually putting in a lot of effort and learning on your own...though honestly, it doesn't show to us ;). But we may not be your target audience so that may not matter at all. The important thing is that you keep at it and keep learning and build what you want. Hopefully others will find some use of it too.

So, what exactly are you trying to do with the site? Is it just something you want to make as a portal type place for random people? Do you have a specific crowd you would like visiting and hanging out?

Are there any other sites out there that are doing what you want to do? Sites that you really like either design-wise or function? Is there something you are trying to make your site like?

So far it doesn't look like you have added much of your own unique content. Mostly just a bunch of random content feeds that doesn't seem to have any general theme. Is this content that you just want in one place for yourself or are you trying to fill a specific need for a specific type of visitor?

Honestly, as a "regular visitor" I don't see any one reason to come back to the site. I don't need news feeds or unrelated videos. If you post something that is specific to a niche that interest me I can see a reason to come back for the new content but right now, there really isn't any reason to visit. Unless your main focus is going to be the forum/community and if that is the case you don't even need the other pages yet. Just work your ass off to get the conversations going and building in the forums. You can add a blog or something later if needed (if you are focusing on the forums). But to be perfectly honest, forums are HARD to get going...even very specific niche forums can be a pain but just random general topic forums are almost impossible to get going well without something to bring the people together.

I don't mean to be a downer at all, in fact the opposite. I think you should stick with it as it's the only real way to learn. But definitely figure out your focus and maybe niche and work towards making it an invaluable resource of unique content related to that focus/niche. If you find a niche you enjoy and can provide good unique content for you will eventually find an audience. The rest will fall into place after that as they will naturally want more space to communicate.

Yeah I found out how hard it is to target people that broad of a range. I wasnt really sure where I wanted to go with the site. The first thought with the name was to get everyone on the internet to come and have a place to connect with one another. Then off of that wanted to do a souvenier exchange from country to country but I dont know how well that would have worked seeing that there could be a ton of problems. So then I just decided to add news (feeds) that related to just the whole world in itself. Then I was hoping to get some businesses to sign up for the business section but there was none!! I just don't know how to reach out to people that are interested...(besides friends and family of course)

I think I may try to either sell this and start something more specific. I just dont know what to do with the name now that wont be to broad of a subject! I think this would be better for a way more experienced person. The one thing that I would like to do is a membership site...but then again no specific content people would just LOVE to come and see.

Thanks for the advice. I will try and use it the best that I can!

YourMomOnRyeBun

Sep 6, 2006
Houston, TX
Oh I'm sorry I thought it this was a place to find help. Excuse me for the other 30 post that was not even about this site!! I must be a spammer because I get on here everyday to read some helpful information but for the information that I have not found like feedback is not on here! It could help others that make crappy sites that may be similar to mine..I'll just be the one to take the constructive criticism ;)

Welcome to OT...you will get your balls chopped off for less, so just shrug it off. You have to understand one thing and this will go a lot smoother...people in this webmaster forum (some) are elitists, or at least thing they are the greatest web designers in the world. Same with the photography forum. Some are GREAT at what they do...some are pretty goood, some are just getting started like yourself. After you've been here awhile you will see that this place gets flood with "what's the best ______" (insert question that has already been asked 30 times and also new members with very few posts that come in and say "check out my website" under the guise that they want feedback when in reality they are just plugging their site. However, those people rarely come back and defend themselves...since they were just spammers to begin with. It appears you actually want help. So forgive the initial onslaught.

Regardless...and I do say this with the upmost respect, you site needs a lot of work. But that's fine. You have to start somewhere. This place is as good as any! Welcome to the forums!

YourMomOnRyeBun

Sep 6, 2006
Houston, TX
More C&C...

What is the point of your site? I can't tell by the URL...and struggle on the first page (of course assuming you will remove the welcome page).

Why all the Google ads? To me...as a site visitor I assume that is because you are using a free service for your web hosting. What "legit" site does this?

Forums are REAL tough to start up. No one wants to post in a forum with no/few posts because they no that no one will respond. Plus, it is all the OLD threads that hook people in (think about this site, you could entertain yourself for hours a day and never post a thing). Consider consolidating your sub forums until they each have 20-30 posts.

Again...what is the point of your website? Why do you want me to sign in? Then what? If you are simply trying to get people to sign in from all over the world...it might be neat to have a map of the world with a push pin for all the people that have signed in...? Just an idea

Too much text...people are visual. They see a website for 5-10 seconds at the most before they bounce if they aren't interested.

If you're just posting random news feeds...add some pictures. But then again...why would I go to this site for news feeds when I can go to google, or some other site I am ALREADY on.

Getting traffic is a pain in the ass - and when you don't have a small niche martket to appeal to, the task can be overwhelming.

TS
TS

acmatt92

Jan 26, 2011
NC
Welcome to OT...you will get your balls chopped off for less, so just shrug it off. You have to understand one thing and this will go a lot smoother...people in this webmaster forum (some) are elitists, or at least thing they are the greatest web designers in the world. Same with the photography forum. Some are GREAT at what they do...some are pretty goood, some are just getting started like yourself. After you've been here awhile you will see that this place gets flood with "what's the best ______" (insert question that has already been asked 30 times and also new members with very few posts that come in and say "check out my website" under the guise that they want feedback when in reality they are just plugging their site. However, those people rarely come back and defend themselves...since they were just spammers to begin with. It appears you actually want help. So forgive the initial onslaught.

Regardless...and I do say this with the upmost respect, you site needs a lot of work. But that's fine. You have to start somewhere. This place is as good as any! Welcome to the forums!

Thank You! I agree with you that the site needs a whole lot of work for sure!
I do get the whole spamming deal and sorry if I first came off like that! I am here for a long term commitment. Thanks for everyones help and I will try and redesign the site and find a target of people!

TS
TS

acmatt92

Jan 26, 2011
NC
More C&C...

What is the point of your site? I can't tell by the URL...and struggle on the first page (of course assuming you will remove the welcome page).

Why all the Google ads? To me...as a site visitor I assume that is because you are using a free service for your web hosting. What "legit" site does this?

Forums are REAL tough to start up. No one wants to post in a forum with no/few posts because they no that no one will respond. Plus, it is all the OLD threads that hook people in (think about this site, you could entertain yourself for hours a day and never post a thing). Consider consolidating your sub forums until they each have 20-30 posts.

Again...what is the point of your website? Why do you want me to sign in? Then what? If you are simply trying to get people to sign in from all over the world...it might be neat to have a map of the world with a push pin for all the people that have signed in...? Just an idea

Too much text...people are visual. They see a website for 5-10 seconds at the most before they bounce if they aren't interested.

If you're just posting random news feeds...add some pictures. But then again...why would I go to this site for news feeds when I can go to google, or some other site I am ALREADY on.

Getting traffic is a pain in the ass - and when you don't have a small niche martket to appeal to, the task can be overwhelming.

I think I would rather not say my hosting..due to the thread right around where this thread is! Hint it obviously sucks and it isnt free! But I will be changing host! The reason that the google ads are on there is to make a buck...I dont know how else to start and monetize the site since I am not selling anything.

I thought about the whole map deal but then again it is WAY to hard to get traffic to understand what to do when they get there! As I didnt think this through not everyone knows english obviously! That is my main goal for the site though is to get everyone to come and sign their name put their location and able to share their thoughts.

I know people hate to much text but I dont know how to explain my site without it! It needs some explanation and there is no way to really get it across to people.

JesterFX

Oct 10, 2004
I don't think he was complaining about your hosting specifically, just that the adds added on there appeared as they do on some free hosts do, or at least did in the past.

Although most people don't consider godaddy good for hosting, don't worry yourself too much about it right now as it works fine and really won't be that big of a deal until you get any kind of traffic, or resource intensive type site.

For now, concentrate on keeping things cheap and that means cheap and easy hosting. I assume you aren't paying all that much for it?

My suggestion, continue playing around with this site but mostly just to learn and test on. Maybe it could eventually become your homebase/blog and you can share your tips to "all web users" on how to get around and make a buck online once you learn lol ;).

But for now, spend some time trying to figure out a topic you are really passionate about. Something you can spend hours typing about and hopefully chatting with others about. Ideally it would be something a good amount of others also enjoy but not exactly necessary. Once you have a good niche that you will be able to spend countless hours on without getting bored, all the work will come natural and you will actually enjoy it which can be a big thing once you get going. So decide on a good niche that you like...even if it's something you are not an expert in, just something you love.

Then find one of the monthly deals at godaddy and get a domain for it for .99 to keep things cheap for now. If you need help coming up with a domain based on your niche let us know and we can help you brainstorm.

If your godaddy hosting doesn't already have free unlimited addon domains, to make it easy to start another site on it, let me know and I'll hook you up with a free account to get you started without spending even more for now.

Then just install a simple wordpress site on it and start adding content. Doesn't have to be a "blog", unless you want it to be, but a great way to get busy adding content right away without having to spend a ton of time learning a lot of the needless things you won't spent much time on.

Then just continue adding awesome content on your beloved subject and spend a little time working on building links and the visitors and regulars will come. Then, eventually, you can worry about adding ads and monetizing ;).

Just my humble advice to get you going in the right direction ;).

TS
TS

acmatt92

Jan 26, 2011
NC
I don't think he was complaining about your hosting specifically, just that the adds added on there appeared as they do on some free hosts do, or at least did in the past.

Although most people don't consider godaddy good for hosting, don't worry yourself too much about it right now as it works fine and really won't be that big of a deal until you get any kind of traffic, or resource intensive type site.

For now, concentrate on keeping things cheap and that means cheap and easy hosting. I assume you aren't paying all that much for it?

My suggestion, continue playing around with this site but mostly just to learn and test on. Maybe it could eventually become your homebase/blog and you can share your tips to "all web users" on how to get around and make a buck online once you learn lol ;).

But for now, spend some time trying to figure out a topic you are really passionate about. Something you can spend hours typing about and hopefully chatting with others about. Ideally it would be something a good amount of others also enjoy but not exactly necessary. Once you have a good niche that you will be able to spend countless hours on without getting bored, all the work will come natural and you will actually enjoy it which can be a big thing once you get going. So decide on a good niche that you like...even if it's something you are not an expert in, just something you love.

Then find one of the monthly deals at godaddy and get a domain for it for .99 to keep things cheap for now. If you need help coming up with a domain based on your niche let us know and we can help you brainstorm.

If your godaddy hosting doesn't already have free unlimited addon domains, to make it easy to start another site on it, let me know and I'll hook you up with a free account to get you started without spending even more for now.

Then just install a simple wordpress site on it and start adding content. Doesn't have to be a "blog", unless you want it to be, but a great way to get busy adding content right away without having to spend a ton of time learning a lot of the needless things you won't spent much time on.

Then just continue adding awesome content on your beloved subject and spend a little time working on building links and the visitors and regulars will come. Then, eventually, you can worry about adding ads and monetizing ;).

Just my humble advice to get you going in the right direction ;).

Ok thanks I will come up with something that I will enjoy talking about and go from there. I dont pay hardly anything for the hosting..mainly because I dont have the money! As most said there is no focal point for the site, which is understandable and I think with the name of it then it would be hard to find just a small target group. I think it would be a good idea to have this site as a homebase for everything that I build off of it! Thanks for the helpful advice! I will let you know about letting me add more domains..I think it should let me! :bowdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan