GAME Skyrim is going to be incredibly disappointing [until modders get their hands on it]

Fotenks

Sep 2, 2004
Las Vegas
Bethesda: Consoles are lead platform, aim to make TES5:Skyrim "really accessible"

This pisses me off to no end :wtc:

It's not like they aren't getting a ton of sales from PC buyers, why can't they have a slightly different version on the PC? Consolized means shitty shitty ass UI and crap ass menus just like Oblivion had. I'm all for streamlining things and some things are right with the new skill tree but as well some things dont seem so right.

And the worst part of making a game 'accessible to the casual gamer', is once again, they have scaled enemies. All enemies you encounter scale to your level. So just like oblivion, when you're low level you can pretty much go to any dungeon and win, and when you're high level you'll see poor forest bandits with glass and daedric armor :ugh:

I mean it's only a couple things but they do make a huge impact on my experience. Other than that it really does look like it will be a sexcellent game. Elder Scrolls have always been hardcore games, why make it even a little bit casual :hs: oh thats right, $$$ and investors :wtc:

Thank goodness for modders. Just means I won't be playing this game for sometime till after it releases :hs: But I'll have games like Deus Ex and Battlefield 3 and dota2 in the meantime.

TS
TS
Fotenks

Fotenks

Sep 2, 2004
Las Vegas
can we still level by jumping in corners and up stairs?

:rofl:

But no, theres not even an athletics/acrobatics skills anymore, you will run the same speed and jump the same height for the whole game :squint:

Sorry, but that was one of the things I absolutely loved in Morrowind. 300 hours in, I ran fast as hell and jumped rooflines of cities like a ninja.

Barkode

Dec 17, 2003
Pittsburgh

But no, theres not even an athletics/acrobatics skills anymore, you will run the same speed and jump the same height for the whole game :squint:

Sorry, but that was one of the things I absolutely loved in Morrowind. 300 hours in, I ran fast as hell and jumped rooflines of cities like a ninja.

boots of blinding speed + breton + savior cuirass + levitate ring :bowdown:

Surgie

Mein Führer, I can walk!
Jun 24, 2001
Knoxville, TN

Agreed... or in daggerfall and climbing over city walls at night.

Levelled monsters annoys me a lot, hopefully they'll have floors and ceilings so we don't have daedric armor wearing bandits again.

Off

Memento Mori
Feb 1, 2005
Wainwright, Ab, CA
with the amount of experience modders have now, it wont take long to get tons of good mods. Non-scaling enemies will probably take a bit as its usually part of the major mods.

I wonder how different the file structure is? I remember checking fnvnexus the night new vegas came out and there were tons of mods already (mostly ported from FO3).

WyldKat

Come with me if you want to live.
Apr 13, 2004
Indy
Will be playing on PC here, I disagree. I think it's going to be a fantastic experience and I'm sure modders will make it even better. My only gripes about Oblivion was the quest radar and the leveling monsters/equipment. The first was modded within a day or so with the other modded not long after.

TS
TS
Fotenks

Fotenks

Sep 2, 2004
Las Vegas
I haven't heard about this scaling of enemies' levels. Where are you reading this?

Well they said it's similar to Fallout 3's as opposed to Oblivions. I never really played Fallout 3 [lol I really should :( ] but enemy scaling still sounds :ugh: and im pretty sure people still were quick to mod FO3 so I doubt their scaling system is much better than broblivions :ugh:

TS
TS
Fotenks

Fotenks

Sep 2, 2004
Las Vegas
Will be playing on PC here, I disagree. I think it's going to be a fantastic experience and I'm sure modders will make it even better. My only gripes about Oblivion was the quest radar and the leveling monsters/equipment. The first was modded within a day or so with the other modded not long after.

Well if it gets modded in a quality way fairly quickly I will be in. It's still irritating that it has to ship this way :hs:

gui3

all the dude ever wanted was his rug back
May 6, 2000
they should really stop making consoles. theyre shit and ruin games.

right. we should all have to go back to the days of having to dick around with video card drivers and upgrading PC components all the time and dealing with ever-depreciating hardware
...so a few people can have a game that's as hard as they want it to be out of the box
...even though PC people already have the ability to modify games to their liking

lowl

dimmy32

Oct 6, 2010
hellooooo PC gaming has been dead for 2 years now. Pretty much everything is a console port.
Of COURSE bethesda knew the modders would fix the game for PC...why should they bother to make any effort ??
cause PC gamers pirate everything and consolers dont right ??
:noes:

mdisen

OT Supporter
Aug 22, 2004
Texas
Skyrim will be a disappointment, but not because of consoles. How cool would a "Elder Scrolls meets Minecraft" game be?

Wolf Demon

HURF DURF
OT Supporter
Mar 26, 2007
Montana State, son

Travis286

May 25, 2005
Austin
LEVEL SCALING

Level scaling in Skyrim is based on the system in Fallout 3.
The number one most important thing is this, creatures do NOT scale up in terms of abilities to match YOUR level.
Meaning each Mountain Giant you encounter in Skyrim will have the same attributes regardless of your own attributes when you encounter them.

In Fallout 3, each territory in the game was assigned an encounter level that determines the level and equipment of the creatures when you discover that specific area.
This means that when you're at Lv1 and wander into a Lv5 encounter territory, you're in for a fight.

Loot is in general also scaled to the territory's encounter level, but some items were hand-placed like in The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.

The areas, or territories level do not remain static as you level up yourself, however, as soon as you enter an area or territory, its level will be locked and will NOT scale up in difficulty as you do.
As previously mentioned, undiscovered areas and territories will level up in difficulty, but it won't be to specifically match YOUR level.
So say when you begin the game, an area that is designated a Lv5 encounter level will become, say a Lv8 encounter level when you're at Lv15 yourself.

Something a lot of people have said they want to see is the possibility to enter an area that is absolutely WAY too difficult for you to handle, then return at a later level with better equipment and stats and just cleaning house, this scaling system allows that 100%, as when you entered that dungeon with those difficult enemies, it was locked to those, and will not change as you level up.
Those minotaurs you saw in there will remain when you return in 10 levels, and they wont have gone up in stats.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan