GAME skyrim

Fucker

out of the fast lane, bitches
Jan 28, 2005
The Left Coast
holy fucking shit, i'm making myself crazy looking at all the skyrim stuff. i can not wait for this shit to come out so i can stop talking to my fucking friends and family.

CptChloroform

It will disappoint, TES has sold it's soul to the shiny devil known as graphics and the consumers are to blame. It takes 1000x longer and 1000x as much money to create high resolution models and textures than it does to make compelling game play mechanics and interesting story telling.

HatShapedHat

Dec 11, 2006
Boston...ish
It will disappoint, TES has sold it's soul to the shiny devil known as graphics and the consumers are to blame. It takes 1000x longer and 1000x as much money to create high resolution models and textures than it does to make compelling game play mechanics and interesting story telling.

I'm getting real sick of people like you

Tdizzle

Jul 1, 2007
Vegas, son.

Morrowind and Oblivion's graphics were at the top of their game too

CptChloroform

Morrowind and Oblivion's graphics were at the top of their game too

Oblivion was nowhere near as good as Morrowind. They spent 1/1000th as much time and money on Morrowinds graphics than they did on Oblivion's despite the fact that it was cutting edge at the time... cutting edge then did not require near as much effort to produce the content as it does now. Thanks for making my point.

This is why old RPG's had enemy variety in the hundreds and modern games have true enemy variety in the tens (not including reskins). It's also why older RPG's had much better and deeper story archs and why they lasted so much longer. You could blow through oblivion in 20 hours, I spent over 150 on Morrowind, it was bigger, it had more to do and more to see, because they spent their time building a rich world with content, not making HD textures and 100,000 polygon count barrel and chair models.

Tdizzle

Jul 1, 2007
Vegas, son.
Oblivion was nowhere near as good as Morrowind. They spent 1/1000th as much time and money on Morrowinds graphics than they did on Oblivion's despite the fact that it was cutting edge at the time... cutting edge then did not require near as much effort to produce the content as it does now. Thanks for making my point.

This is why old RPG's had enemy variety in the hundreds and modern games have true enemy variety in the tens (not including reskins). It's also why older RPG's had much better and deeper story archs and why they lasted so much longer. You could blow through oblivion in 20 hours, I spent over 150 on Morrowind.

Longer games aren't necessarily better. You could make the game 1000 hours long, but if it looks like MineCraft I'm not going to enjoy it. Being awed by the detail in a game's environment is part of the experience. Whether the story arc's are better is also very subjective

Wolf Demon

HURF DURF
OT Supporter
Mar 26, 2007
Montana State, son
Longer games aren't necessarily better. You could make the game 1000 hours long, but if it looks like MineCraft I'm not going to enjoy it. Being awed by the detail in a game's environment is part of the experience. Whether the story arc's are better is also very subjective

troll attempt denied

TS
TS
Fucker

Fucker

Jan 28, 2005
The Left Coast
the games i've enjoyed the most have great stories and allow full immersion into their universe. i played countless hours of oblivion & fallout 3 because the story was pretty compelling and you could really develop the characters, even if the graphics were a little clunky. there was a ton of replay value, especially in oblivion.

i also loved mass effect 2 and assassins creed (2 & brotherhood) which had better graphics and good stories but were linear and had limited, by comparison, character customization. mass effect had decent replay value as well.

:werd: x 11ty
some people would rather have 1000 hours of boredom than 15 hours of fun

red dead redemption was like this for me, a few hours of fun surround by many hours of not much going on. i got bored pretty quickly running around an empty desert picking flowers and shooting coyotes, no matter how good it looked.

it is...but alot of people these days think that you just need the best graphics to have the best game.

crysis was beautiful to look at but after 1 and half play throughs i was done, fun but definitely not GOTY. looking really slick isn't enough.

looking at game footage from the last 2 big game conferences is exciting and frustrating at the same time. at each convention we got a little more info, i'm sure they're holding back for the convention in the UK next month to confirm a few more details. bethesda has said that Skyrim will be about the same size as oblivion but with many times the amount of content. different teams developed different dungeons and forts to help make each feel unique or at least different from each other. i am stoked and can't wait for 11/11/11.

Last edited:

CptChloroform

Everything I am saying is true. In terms of time and money in development it used to be:

Graphics: 25%
Story: 25%
Sound/Music: 25%
Content/Gameplay: 25%

Now it's:
Graphics: 75%
Story: 5%
Sound/Music: 10%
Content/Gameplay: 10%

Who am I? I am just a published independent game developer. If you own an iphone or an android you may have played one of my games...

HatShapedHat

Dec 11, 2006
Boston...ish
Everything I am saying is true. In terms of time and money in development it used to be:

Now it's:

Who am I? I am just a published independent game developer. If you own an iphone or an android you may have played one of my games...

With a game like Deus Ex just being released, your argument carries that much less weight.

And nobody has played your shitty flash games.

Boomdart

Apr 28, 2005
Longer games aren't necessarily better.

This.

Hours upon hours of doing menial, trivial tasks does not a good game make.

"Hey guy, there is a special carrot out in the wilderness somewhere, go spend 3 hours looking for it and I'll give you 5 gold pieces!"

I generally like really good graphics though. When Risen came out for the PC I beat it twice (two distinctly different paths you can take early on), but I found myself just walking around enjoying environment without any other purpose quite often.

Quests need to have more purpose to them, they shouldn't need to be built up with stupid shit like "Here, take this very important message to this guy two houses down for me, I know I'm just standing around doing nothing...and it's super urgent, but I need you to do it for me...boy if you hadn't come along this herculean task would never have been completed! Then he'll probably tell you to go do something stupid too."

TS
TS
Fucker

Fucker

Jan 28, 2005
The Left Coast

Now it's:

apples vs. oranges.

games that follow "now" aren't as successful as games that follow "then". there is an inevitable march toward better graphics regardless, nobody would be interested if there were no improvement.

forgotmyname

Jul 18, 2007
Never got into the Elder Scrolls games. Loved Fallout 3 and currently playing New Vegas. Maybe I'll go back to Oblivion and my opinion will change.

Rellik

Feb 2, 2005
This.

Hours upon hours of doing menial, trivial tasks does not a good game make.

"Hey guy, there is a special carrot out in the wilderness somewhere, go spend 3 hours looking for it and I'll give you 5 gold pieces!"

I generally like really good graphics though. When Risen came out for the PC I beat it twice (two distinctly different paths you can take early on), but I found myself just walking around enjoying environment without any other purpose quite often.

Quests need to have more purpose to them, they shouldn't need to be built up with stupid shit like "Here, take this very important message to this guy two houses down for me, I know I'm just standing around doing nothing...and it's super urgent, but I need you to do it for me...boy if you hadn't come along this herculean task would never have been completed! Then he'll probably tell you to go do something stupid too."

yeah that was literally one of your first missions in morrowind :rofl: in the first town you started in.. something with an H i forgot
would i would like would be a real living, breathing population.. the "cell" loading systems in the previous ES games made that when you entered a building or dungeon or zone, time basically stops in the outside world...(to the point that if you lured a mob into the city and the guards started fighting it and you loaded into a house or something, then came out a bit later, they would resume fighting it... not sure if they changed it in oblivion)
anyway in oblivion they tried a bit, made the NPCs walk around more, some random encounters in the wilderness, made the NPCs have more conversations.. but basically it was the same as morrowind. Im thinking something like an NPC doing tasks (working in the garden, pushing a cart around the city making deliveries, etc..), then going to the tavern for a drink or some food, all independent of you...

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan