Small aquarium setup?

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

Silver Member
May 22, 2000
CA
Got the itch to set up a tank again. Had a Marineland 15 all in 1 type tank years ago.

So will probably setup and give up on it in a few months, so don't want to invest too much into it.

I was thinking of getting this Fluval Flex 9.

It's about only a $100.

Only want to add a couple of colorful fish and some cleaners. Maybe some easy ground cover or slow growing single plant. Looking for a simple and low maintenance setup.

Any recommendations?

Reactions: Cicada

JohnnyBeagle

Calcutta Viper
OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2004
🤣
waterbox cube 20 is a solid quality AIO for like $200. I have it set up as a saltwater fish only tank now but I'll add corals once its ready

they also make it in a 10 gallon size, and the Peninsula 15 and 25 for that style. I suggest a lid for most fish you keep in these

D3aC0n

Vesa ToskaLOL
OT Supporter
Jun 16, 2003
Toronto
check your petco for a dollar per gallon sale for a basic tank. get a small usb air pump and a sponge filter. That'll be fairly cheap.

cryptocoryne or anubias for slow growing plants

TS
TS
A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

Silver Member
May 22, 2000
CA
waterbox cube 20 is a solid quality AIO for like $200. I have it set up as a saltwater fish only tank now but I'll add corals once its ready

they also make it in a 10 gallon size, and the Peninsula 15 and 25 for that style. I suggest a lid for most fish you keep in these
Always wanted to do a SW tank but fuck the maintenance and expenses Lol.

Mr3plus1

Too many projects
Dec 24, 2001
Tomball, TX
Always wanted to do a SW tank but fuck the maintenance and expenses Lol.

It can be a pricey startup, but it doesnt have to be. As far as maintenance goes...once you have the system balanced its just water changes every week (something that takes less time than cleaning a litter box or walking a dog). The upside - I used to frag my corals and trade them for supplies or other livestock at the local fish store.

bugman

Demonic Gecko
OT Supporter
Sep 1, 2004
You can set up pretty easily a low cost FW planted tank with no CO2. The live plants will filter the water, dont even need to worry about water changes, just topping off. I had a 30 gallon tank like this setup for a few years before breaking it down...insanely simple to keep, had a few endlers who ended up producing hundreds of babies, and a few other miniature fish in there as well. Got a huge pack of super easy plants for less than $20 from a seller on Aquatic Plant Forum.

Reactions: JohnnyBeagle

runkle

Feb 22, 2005
cloud 9
Miss my tank, I’ve been wanting to do a similar smaller reef tank with maybe a pair of clowns

XR250rdr

OT Supporter
Mar 1, 2004
Ca
Anyone know good remedies for keeping the brown algae looking growth at bay for tanks that don’t see sunlight?
Brown algae is diatoms. It usually shows up in newer tanks. Water changes and cleaning the gravel will help. Need to keep nitrates and phosphates low.

iLLt3ck

Aug 1, 2002
Pitted, so pitted
Brown algae is diatoms. It usually shows up in newer tanks. Water changes and cleaning the gravel will help. Need to keep nitrates and phosphates low.
Thanks, any specific techniques you recommend aside from promoting better tank cycling? Usually do 25% water change biweekly

Raimeiken

OT Supporter
Oct 19, 2002
ARIZONA
get a cheap glass cube vase like this and use it as an aquarium. I used to have two with plants in them and cherry shrimps.

XR250rdr

OT Supporter
Mar 1, 2004
Ca
Thanks, any specific techniques you recommend aside from promoting better tank cycling? Usually do 25% water change biweekly
Better lighting can help. What kind of filter do you have?

Nerite snails and amano shrimp will eat brown algae too.

Raimeiken

OT Supporter
Oct 19, 2002
ARIZONA
this was my setup from over a decade ago. I had Nerite snails and cherry shrimps in the one on the left.

GPWvfzn.jpg

iLLt3ck

Aug 1, 2002
Pitted, so pitted
Better lighting can help. What kind of filter do you have?

Nerite snails and amano shrimp will eat brown algae too.
Fluval 30 gallon filter setup. Better lighting = uv lighting or just more light? Currently use the stock cheap led lighting that came with tank.

Do snails and shrimp reproduce a ton?

D3aC0n

Vesa ToskaLOL
OT Supporter
Jun 16, 2003
Toronto
Fluval 30 gallon filter setup. Better lighting = uv lighting or just more light? Currently use the stock cheap led lighting that came with tank.

Do snails and shrimp reproduce a ton?

snails.. if you feed a ton, yes. Amano shrimp won't reproduce in freshwater. If you get red cherries then they'll likely reproduce fairly well unless you have fish eating the babies

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman