SPORTS So AKA no longer welcome in UFC?

teep

Mar 7, 2006
from sherdog:

In an interview with Yahoo Sports on Wednesday, White said the UFC would no longer do business with the American Kickboxing Academy, Fitch’s San Jose-based fight team.

“We’re looking for guys who want to work with us and not against us, and frankly I’m just so [expletive] sick of this [expletive] it’s not even funny,” White told Yahoo Sports. “Affliction is still out there trying to build its company. Let [Fitch] go work with them. Let him see what he thinks of those [expletives]. [Expletive] him. These guys aren’t partners with us. [Expletive] them. All of them, every last [expletive] one of them.”

what happens to koscheck and cain valasquez? :noes:

jag6984

Apr 24, 2004
Rio De Janeiro
Just as I was really starting to like and respect Dana...

That was a bullshit contract he tried to push on Fitch, and terribly unprofessional.

I'm not the biggest AKA fan, but no one can deny that they are a premier team. Losing Fitch, Kos, and Swick in the UFC WW is a big deal. Not to mention Cain.

bpa00

Jul 4, 2005
Kansas City
Dana is such a dickhead... I mean seriously... Would you for free, sign away the rights to your likeness for LIFE??

checkii

ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว
Jun 29, 2003
rain street
That was a bullshit contract he tried to push on Fitch, and terribly unprofessional.
what was in the contract?

I am curious as to why out of ALL of the fighters, ONLY aka found it to be a bad deal. In just hearing from them, it sounds like a bad idea, but if no one else so much as even raised up public eyebrow to it, it leaves me wondering what was so bad.

prophit

OT Supporter
Jan 17, 2002
Vancouver, Canada

I am curious as to why out of ALL of the fighters, ONLY aka found it to be a bad deal. In just hearing from them, it sounds like a bad idea, but if no one else so much as even raised up public eyebrow to it, it leaves me wondering what was so bad.

Apparently it was exclusive lifetime rights to their likeness for the upcoming THQ video game. Zuffa appears to have already promised those rights to THQ and thinks this is the way to get it done. :dunno:

I can fully understand not signing away exclusivity for your lifetime. It doesn't seem like they're even offering compensation.

AK-47

Banned
May 4, 2006
i agree with dana on this, he's promoting the sport and helping these guys make money. He said if fitch becomes some big time star in another organization that they wouldn't use him in future games, he says that would be just fucking stupid

AK-47

Banned
May 4, 2006
still fucked up though kicking out an entire team. Just negotiate with them instead

checkii

ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว
Jun 29, 2003
rain street
Jon Fitch said:
"Honestly the contract wasn't even that big of a deal," he said. "We're not getting paid for it anyways, and it's not a deal where I'm actually going to get another deal with a video game agency. I don't have that kind of pull, most guys don't. It has nothing to do with that. It's that they brought this contract to us and basically kicked in our front door, came in guns blazing, and said 'sign this contract or you're dead.'"
Sounds like it was not a good deal for anyone who could sign their own video game deal. I could see someone like GSP getting his own brand like Tony Hawk, but Fitch, he knew he didnt have any future revenues from gaming, and made a business decision on emotion.

imo, Dana is a bi-polar scumbag / hero of MMA. If affliction stays afloat and Dana keeps pulling this shit, we might see a mass exodus.

checkii

ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว
Jun 29, 2003
rain street
i agree with dana on this, he's promoting the sport and helping these guys make money. He said if fitch becomes some big time star in another organization that they wouldn't use him in future games, he says that would be just fucking stupid
I agree, but what if he becomes a massive star elsewhere, then he doesnt own his own video game rights and couldnt be in a game. If I was fitch I would have signed, as we have all seen how active other fighters in other orgs are.

Sylva

Jul 12, 2005

B/c it really wasn't that bad at all, not even the real issue.

Posted: 7 hours ago
Edited: 11/20/08 3:16 AM

I just talked to DW and he said Fitch getting cut did NOT center on an issue with the video game and Fitch wasn't even an active participant in the discussions. Obviously, he is parroting what he has been told and if his management told Fitch the video game was the reason he was cut then they are lying to him.

As far as MMA Mania's spectacular headline below and comment on another thread claiming DW "promised" THQ something he has been unable to deliver on, well... he has a quote for you:

"Suck my [expletive]! The day a [expletive] website knows more about UFC business deals I have made than I do will... just [expletive] these [expletive]. If they're headlining their [expletive] in a way that even comes close to claiming I [expletive] said "[expletive] Fitch for not signing a video game agreement" then they're [expletive] scumbag [expletive]!"

Dana White: '[Expletive]' Jon Fitch for not signing video game agreement

By: MMAmania

MMA Mania, why did you pull the negative comments DW made but not include the positive ones? I mean, they were all quotes... why just the nasty ones that were spread throughout the article???

"We're looking for guys who want to work with us and not against us, and frankly I'm just so [expletive] sick of this [expletive] it's not even funny. Affliction is still out there trying to build its company. Let [Fitch] go work with them. Let him see what he thinks of those [expletives]. [Expletive] him. These guys aren't partners with us. [Expletive] them. All of them, every last [expletive] one of them…. I'm not a douche bag and I do a lot for these guys, a lot more than any of you will ever know. We're in a horrible time in the economy now, and every guy with two nickels to rub together is making a run at us. We've worked too hard, given too much, to let certain guys come in and [expletive] with that."
And here, you reference Kevin Iole's article but Kevin didn't make the claim that "Dana White was fuming about the situation that went down earlier this evening surrounding the release of Jon Fitch for NOT SIGNING an agreement that would give the promotion exclusive lifetime video game rights to his name and likeness."– UFC President Dana White fumes via Yahoo!Sports.com about the situation that went down earlier this evening surrounding the release of Jon Fitch for not signing an agreement that would give the promotion exclusive lifetime video game rights to his name and likeness. White appears to be most heated about the management team that represents most of the fighters out of American Kickboxing Academy (AKA), Zinkin Entertainment. In fact, he says that with the exception of Chuck Liddell, Mike Swick and more than likely Forrest Griffin (who are also represented by Zinkin Entertainment) that other top fighters such as Josh Koscheck and Cain Velasquez are also possibly on the outs. "Kos," as of press time, is still scheduled to headline UFC Fight Night 16: "Fight for the Troops" on December 13. However, after reading these comments who knows what the future holds. This is madness.

*** How come you didn't differentiate between what DW did say and what Jon Fitch's comments were? And how on earth you can confirm "exclusively" a dayum thing about Fitch when you clearly stated in your article (previous to this one) that Fitch nor anyone from his camp was available for comment?

------------

I still don't know enough about this to post a definitive opinion because Zinkin hasn't made a statement yet. DW denies the video game was the issue and pointed out the problem was with AKA/Zinkin, not really the fighters that are trusting these guys with their careers. It's the deal making in general and DW also mentioned the licensing agreements are non-exclusive and do not prohibit the fighters from making other deals with other companies, too.

It seems DW's version doesn't match the impression Jon Fitch has and since the middlemen were Zinkin/Cook/AKA perhaps it makes sense to wait and hear what they have to say. DW specifically asked me to share THIS with the board since it is being discussed because he wanted you all to know the "reporting" MMA Mania is running is absolute [expletive] and irresponsible.

Don't shoot the messenger;)

Cindy

prophit

OT Supporter
Jan 17, 2002
Vancouver, Canada

Perhaps, but what do you think the chances are they'll let the other promotion use his likeness if they decide to put out their own video game? :hsd:

edit: read the comment above mine, who knows wtf is up. :dunno:

AK-47

Banned
May 4, 2006
Perhaps, but what do you think the chances are they'll let the other promotion use his likeness if they decide to put out their own video game? :hsd:

what are the chances of another org making a video game?

The Ripper

Dec 25, 2006
Colorado Springs, Co
on the upside I would love to see fitch in affliction. The UFC has been dicking him around for years. He had to destroy the whole ww division and leave them with no other choice before he was finally able to get a title shot. I think he will do better outside the UFC now. He can make more money with affliction fight jay at ww and then take the wamma 170 title.

SCirone

Aug 18, 2004
Apparently the other school Dana mentioned is ATT

Looking Like ATT is Next On The UFC Chopping Block

Posted: 14 minutes ago

The "OTHER CAMP" Dana is talking about is ATT, According to a few of my sources and Greg Savage, they have been urging their fighters not to sign the deal either. Thats why you have yet to see an ATT or AKA fighter in the video game pics, the behind the scenes UFC footage of fighters getting scanned or anything else regarding the game.

was it a coincidence that Marcus Aurellio was cut at the same time as fitch and the rest?

if This is true, say goodbye to Thiago Silva, Alves and much much more

Audio: UFC's Dana White loses it during Sacramento radio interview
By Zach Arnold | November 20, 2008

In a USA Today interview, White is back at it attacking 'agents' in the business:

"And you know what? This is more than just AKA. There's other camps out there that we're having trouble doing business with. And at the end of the day, this is a business. We run a business just like any other business. You come in, you do your job with your company and you get paid.

And the guys that don't want to do business with you — then go work somewhere else. It's as easy as that. You don't have to do business with us. There's other people out there you can do it with."

jag6984

Apr 24, 2004
Rio De Janeiro
Jesus, cutting both AKA and ATT? Those are some of the most talented fighters the UFC has...

I thought the contract was a bit of a raw deal because by the sounds of Fitch's statement it came very quickly and they were pressuring a decision. This may not be the truth, but it's all we know. Having a day to decide your likeness rights for a lifetime contract? That's not professional at all.

Dana could be shooting himself in the foot over this. It is business, it's all about compromise. Everyone doesn't get exactly what they want.

AK-47

Banned
May 4, 2006
dana has brock lesnar as a heavyweight champ, he could care less about any other fighters and their fanbase right now

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor