ART So can we all agree CS>PW?

mikeskillz

Jun 30, 2006
theyre just over $100 for a trans/receiver Cyber Sync (you can get 10% off for being a student!) vs nearly $400 for the Pocket Wizard.

youre fooling yourself if you think spending more gets you a superior product. both of these items are made of monumentally cheap electronics.

you need pocket wizards if:

two reasons, and two reasons only.

1) if you need the extra range

2) if you collaborate with others. most pros around here seem to have "standardized" on PW.
No point in showing up, unable to fire 1/2 the lights or vice versa.
As I've said before, this pref might be a regional thing, just a theory of mine.

If neither of those apply to you, then obviously the "benefits" appear to be nil for you because they are.

If so...fill yer boots with the trigger of your choice.

As for why the product itself is priced so much higher...they were priced into a market niche long ago, according to supply/demand and perceived value. Like any product.

Whether that price is meaningful and perceived as "fair" by you...refer to points 1 and 2.

keep in mind also, that CS's are rated at 350', and PW are rated at 400'. so theres really not much of a difference. with repeater mode you can double the CS's range.

end of story.

sticky?

Last edited:

Jcolman

OT Supporter
Aug 19, 2002
dirty souf
You forgot to mention that Pocket Wizards will also fire your camera remotely as well. That's one of the big reasons I went with them.

TS
TS
mikeskillz

mikeskillz

Jun 30, 2006
You forgot to mention that Pocket Wizards will also fire your camera remotely as well. That's one of the big reasons I went with them.

cyber syncs can as well. :wavey:

infact any trigger could do it. why would you think otherwise?

johan

Pocket Wizards were priced waaaay back when...when it was just a minor item for a serious photographer. If you look at what a set of Profotos cost, PW's just sort go along with that mindset.

The newer generation of triggers appeal to a much much larger audience and are more like commodity pricing.

Are they just as good...yeah probably better.

Except that masses of pros already use PW's, and if you need to collaborate, you need to use compatible gear.

PW will eventually have to readjust their pricing though.

It's just a matter of time.

turbodude

Just a photographer
OT Supporter
Jun 17, 2002
Las Vegas
nope PW > CS... and i own both.

PW works with profoto (they have a receiver in them) lights when i do studio work.
PW does 10 FPS triggering
PW has 1600' triggering range

Jcolman

OT Supporter
Aug 19, 2002
dirty souf
nope PW > CS... and i own both.

PW works with profoto (they have a receiver in them) lights when i do studio work.
PW does 10 FPS triggering
PW has 1600' triggering range

plus they work with my sekonic 383 lightmeter to remotely trigger my strobes for metering.

turbodude

Just a photographer
OT Supporter
Jun 17, 2002
Las Vegas
plus they work with my sekonic 383 lightmeter to remotely trigger my strobes for metering.

well the price of the "trigger" chip is $39, and you can buy a CS transmitter (and attach it to the sekonc) for $59. its only $20 more to make the sekonic work with the CS to meter.

so i figured i wouldnt list it. I only listed things that the PW can do that the CS cant.

MSIGuy

om nom nom nom!
May 30, 2005
What about the durability factor? I don't own either, but it looks like the PW is going to be a lot more rugged of a unit and stand up to more abuse.

Any comments?

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor