GAME so i bought my fiancee the 3DS, and i'm thinking...

gui3

all the dude ever wanted was his rug back
May 6, 2000
...and i'm finding it kind of interesting how this is playing out.

i got "back" into console gaming in 2007, tried a Wii, found that there were only a few games worth playing (none worth $60 after zelda, to me), and eventually sold it. then i played 5 minutes of Bowser's Inside Story on my brother's DSi and was hooked, bought one the same day. thought the DSi was great, but eventually ran out of new things to play, so i put it down.

Since then, i've been playing iPhone games and HD console games, but not the DSi. I skipped Spirit Tracks because. I was thinking "nintendo just remakes the same 3 or 4 games over and over, and it's not worth buying their consoles anymore."

But i noticed something: many iPhone games are just rehashes of the things that made Nintendo great. I play a platformer, and i think "shit, i wish they'd release a decent Mario clone."

Then my GF shows some interest in the 3DS, and she's having a bit of a rough time at work, so i surprise her with a black 3DS. I get a few minutes on it, playing Pilotwings and the built-in games...

...and then i pick up my DSi and start playing around...
...and now i want a fucking 3DS.

say what you will about Nintendo, but they get a few things right: their first party games are consistently charming and high-quality, despite lack of HD graphics. their consoles are consistently charming and full of ideas that spark imagination, even if i don't end up devoting my whole life to using every little feature. it's far easier to justify a new handheld console for a few games than it is buying a whole TV console for a few games.

So how do you feel about it? Do you buy a nintendo handheld thinking "i'm getting this for the 5 or 6 games that come out on it that rock"?

Personally, i hope the flash carts stick around - but not for piracy reasons. Nintendo is all about nostalgia, and the ability to force backwards compatibility, and carry the best of all Nintendo's past (now unsupported) consoles in one cart is just awesome.

Boomdart

Apr 28, 2005
I gotta see one work in real life before I make any decisions.

Only my right eye works (left eye sorta works but not enough to make anything out with it) and I've been to two 3D movies at the theater and Regardless of how I try to manipulate the glasses it's all just a big purple red and blue smear :wtc:

Unless I know it'll work for us cycloptic people it has no use to me.

TS
TS
gui3

gui3

May 6, 2000
I gotta see one work in real life before I make any decisions.

Only my right eye works (left eye sorta works but not enough to make anything out with it) and I've been to two 3D movies at the theater and Regardless of how I try to manipulate the glasses it's all just a big purple red and blue smear :wtc:

Unless I know it'll work for us cycloptic people it has no use to me.

the 3D effect works. there's no question about that.
the AR games work, and they're very impressive.

when you try it, try the FaceRaiders game. i was giggling.

the only issue is how well it gets implemented going forward.

hellodon

Oct 26, 2006
the 3D effect works. there's no question about that.
the AR games work, and they're very impressive.

when you try it, try the FaceRaiders game. i was giggling.

the only issue is how well it gets implemented going forward.

I dont think it works with one eye though.
Try closing your left or right when playing it, pretty sure it requires both eyes

Der SchattenJager

Kupo, asshat.
Mar 13, 2003
Dayton, OH
Because of the nature of stereoscopic 3D, it won't work with only one eye. You cyclops out there will have to wait until volumetric display is better realized.

TS
TS
gui3

gui3

May 6, 2000
I dont think it works with one eye though.
Try closing your left or right when playing it, pretty sure it requires both eyes

you can't expect it to work with one eye. it's called STEREOscopic 3D for a reason :)

hellodon

Oct 26, 2006
you can't expect it to work with one eye. it's called STEREOscopic 3D for a reason :)

Yeah I know...If you read your reply to the guy asking about it working for cycloptic people, it sounds like you were telling him that it would. Maybe you mis-read what he was asking and thought he was asking if the 3D works in general, but he was actually wondering if it works for people using 1 eye.

mdisen

OT Supporter
Aug 22, 2004
Texas
Honestly, the DS wasn't a great platform because of Nintendo first party games, unlike the Wii, which largely only exists because of first-party games. If the 3DS is half as successful as the DS (and it's off to a better start), there will be a lot more than 5 or 6 games worth playing over the next few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448