So, I went ahead and ruined the Turbo Busa.

alex

RIP OT Yard Sale
OT Supporter
Oct 11, 2005
Orange County, NY
This is considered slow in this game. I'm about half the horsepower needed to be competitive around here. It's basically a play toy for me

0-200+ in under 6 seconds :eek:, I can’t even imagine what that feels like.

I rode roller coasters that do 0-128 in 3.5 seconds, but it’s so mind-bending that I can’t imagine being in control of it and needing to function

onedownfiveup

OT Supporter
Jun 26, 2005
Man, they still have Shinko tires? I thought everyone moved on from it a while ago. Pretty cool.

Is that the ZZZ chain or did EK come out with something stronger?

TS
TS
luvmylegend

luvmylegend

IDK, WTF
Oct 24, 2001
Somewhere near Charlotte
Man, they still have Shinko tires? I thought everyone moved on from it a while ago. Pretty cool.

Is that the ZZZ chain or did EK come out with something stronger?
Shinko is getting surprisingly better. We typically get 150 runs out of a tire. Basically a dollar per run for burnout and launch. They hold up really well. Front tires grip well and never really show any wear at the track.

Street is different, but I've ran them before. I'm definitely not trying to drag a knee on shinkos. They're a budget tire that doesn't fall apart.

I prefer Michelin Road 5's for street. Multi -compound tire that lets me put some miles on it.

The EK DRZ2 chain is a non o-ring chain. For drag, a lot of guys use that or the 3D Chain and remove the o-rings. RK is another decent chain, I just don't get deals on them

Reactions: cjonesy22002

onedownfiveup

OT Supporter
Jun 26, 2005
Shinko is getting surprisingly better. We typically get 150 runs out of a tire. Basically a dollar per run for burnout and launch. They hold up really well. Front tires grip well and never really show any wear at the track.

Street is different, but I've ran them before. I'm definitely not trying to drag a knee on shinkos. They're a budget tire that doesn't fall apart.

I prefer Michelin Road 5's for street. Multi -compound tire that lets me put some miles on it.

The EK DRZ2 chain is a non o-ring chain. For drag, a lot of guys use that or the 3D Chain and remove the o-rings. RK is another decent chain, I just don't get deals on them
Yeah, I worked at a local sportbike speed shop for about 6 years in mid-2000. We worked on and built a ton of turbo bikes. I completely got out of it in 2010 but I still keep in touch with the shop I used to work at ever so often.

Reactions: luvmylegend

Charles Queensferry

OT Supporter
Mar 16, 2007
Raleigh, NC
So I'm completely lost on what 350hp on bike does vs. high hp cars these days. Will a 1200hp car compete with that turbo busa? I know they use to be king dingaling then the SS1000R BMW came out, H2 etc. School me plz.

onedownfiveup

OT Supporter
Jun 26, 2005
So I'm completely lost on what 350hp on bike does vs. high hp cars these days. Will a 1200hp car compete with that turbo busa? I know they use to be king dingaling then the SS1000R BMW came out, H2 etc. School me plz.
It really depends. There is a lot that goes into it. Are we talking about from a stop? Roll? Street? Prepped Drag Strip?

You could have a 350hp busa with a standard lockup clutch and it would mainly be good for a roll vs from a stop. Does it have a multi-stage lock-up? Slider? Does it have a boost controller? How's that setup?

Those play a HUGE part in the setup.

There are a ton of turbo busa's out there that aren't even really set up properly for racing. It's just a lot of horsepower and a clutch that'll hold the power.

Reactions: Charles Queensferry
TS
TS
luvmylegend

luvmylegend

IDK, WTF
Oct 24, 2001
Somewhere near Charlotte
Onedownfiveup has it right. From a 40mph roll, that bike isn't getting touched by anything less than 1200 HP. Probably more like 1500. The problem with a Hayabusa is it's quite a bit heavier than most supersport 1000's. It's considered a touring bike. It does great when it doesn't have to go from zero

From a dig, if I can learn the bike and get the clutch and my left hand to agree on some things, the bike should be good for a low 8, which tends to take around 1000hp in a fox body set up correctly for drag, probably back to 1200+ in a heavier car. They might get me on the launch (2 wheels vs 1 and a 2" tread patch, but I'm coming around them by half track.

Last edited:
Reactions: Charles Queensferry
TS
TS
luvmylegend

luvmylegend

IDK, WTF
Oct 24, 2001
Somewhere near Charlotte
I have an MTC multistage lock up clutch setup on mine. The clutch works like normal at low RPM. Pretty easy to launch. The arms on the extra piece on the pressure plate give more pressure at high rpm to limit clutch slippage. It unlocks itself when the RPM's drop.

There's full on slider clutches that allows the rider to not use the clutch lever at all. It feels a lot like a centrifugal clutch on a golf cart or go-cart. Just with a lot more power in it.

High end multistage clutches allow you to pretty much throw the clutch lever and it'll allow a certain amount of slip to get you going off the line.

Reactions: cjonesy22002

onedownfiveup

OT Supporter
Jun 26, 2005
I have an MTC multistage lock up clutch setup on mine. The clutch works like normal at low RPM. Pretty easy to launch. The arms on the extra piece on the pressure plate give more pressure at high rpm to limit clutch slippage. It unlocks itself when the RPM's drop.

There's full on slider clutches that allows the rider to not use the clutch lever at all. It feels a lot like a centrifugal clutch on a golf cart or go-cart. Just with a lot more power in it.

High end multistage clutches allow you to pretty much throw the clutch lever and it'll allow a certain amount of slip to get you going off the line.
Lock ups just have arms and weights. Multi stage has springs that fight the lockup arms/weight for more clutch slip allowing you to fine tune your launch.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olegarchy