TECH So MobileMe going away, what will new Apple iCloud users use for an email?

3dfx!

Oct 8, 2009
I read you have the option to keep your me.com email upon full launch of the iCloud service this fall. What will it be replacing it the me.com email addresses then?

TS
TS
3dfx!

3dfx!

Oct 8, 2009
oh ok, so just the idisk and gallery will disappear then

TheWeasel

Dear MobileMe member,

We'd like to share some exciting news with you about iCloud — Apple’s upcoming cloud service, which stores your content and wirelessly pushes it to your devices. iCloud integrates seamlessly with your apps, so everything happens automatically. Available this fall, iCloud is free for iOS 5 and OS X Lion users.

What does this mean for you as a MobileMe member?

When you sign up for iCloud, you'll be able to keep your MobileMe email address and move your mail, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks to the new service.

Your MobileMe subscription will be automatically extended through June 30, 2012, at no additional charge. After that date, MobileMe will no longer be available.

When iCloud becomes available this fall, we will provide more details and instructions on how to make the move. In the meantime, we encourage you to learn more about iCloud.

Sincerely,

The MobileMe Team

Doesn't mention iDisk so I'd guess it's going bye-bye. Gallery will likely be the photo storage on iCloud.

andymodem

Ambitious, but rubbish.
Oct 4, 2001
Baltimore, MD
I don't get all the MobileMe hate. It has always worked great for me, syncing bookmarks and contacts, and uploading directly to it from my iPhone, etc. Plus, me.com is the only web email service not blocked at work. :o

nsxrebel

May 22, 2006
I don't get all the MobileMe hate. It has always worked great for me, syncing bookmarks and contacts, and uploading directly to it from my iPhone, etc. Plus, me.com is the only web email service not blocked at work. :o

I like/d it, just the price wasnt all that great, but now it's free. :)

Figori

Taking BRC to the EXTREME. Bitch I operate.
OT Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
Somewhere near the Pentagon...

I'm pretty sure it will still be me.com... As new people will be getting @me.com e-mail addresses....

TheWeasel

I always loved it. Awesome to be able to add something to my desktop calendar and have it available on my iPhone. Sure there are other options for doing the same thing, but not ones as integrated that require basically no setup.

TS
TS
3dfx!

3dfx!

Oct 8, 2009
I still don't understand how push is not available for gmail accounts but for yahoo they have it available. I like me, but yeah the price was a little steep for what it offered. I have encountered some sync issues in the past with lost emails though, so that was one of those things that still made me keep my email as my primary account.

I hope iCloud is better than iDisk. iDisk is way too slow when using it under the Finder. They should take notes from Dropbox, you drop something in the folders and it immediately shows up on the Finder and then it shows the sync progress. iDisk was the opposite, which makes it suck. Gallery is another thing I never used, too much work. Most of my friends and family have a facebook, so much easier to upload my pics up there and they instantly have shared access to them without the need to generate some long ass url for them to click on, etc.

TS
TS
3dfx!

3dfx!

Oct 8, 2009
i have push on my gmail, google it to find out how

Yeah I've done that too but if you set it up using exchange and not the gmail logo in email setup, your labels are all fucked up. Also I can't remember why I hated using the exchange on it, I think it would archive all your shit as opposed to being able to control that in the settings when you set it up the other way.

Last edited:

Morpheus647

Jan 17, 2006
Yeah I've done that too but if you set it up using exchange and not the gmail logo in email setup, your labels are all fucked up. Also I can't remember why I hated using the exchange on it, I think it would archive all your shit as opposed to being able to control that in the settings when you set it up the other way.

Exchange with gmail never worked right for me either. It wouldn't push emails correctly sometimes, and every time I tried it after about a week it would show my inbox as empty, even though there were messages in it.

TS
TS
3dfx!

3dfx!

Oct 8, 2009
Exchange with gmail never worked right for me either. It wouldn't push emails correctly sometimes, and every time I tried it after about a week it would show my inbox as empty, even though there were messages in it.

I think it's because you have the sync settings on it to 3 days? It's buggy as shit and I don't know why if yahoo works fine. Google just leaves it half assed to push phones using their software IMO (see google voice iOS app).

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btcdiana