CAR So NOW the UAW wants to make concessions

Bona Fide

Isn't their idea of "concession" just halting the retiree healthcare bullshit?

Kriz

May 27, 2003
The UAW was wait for a piece of the pie. They fucked themselves. I'd laugh but for some reason I don't find it as funny as I thought I would.

Engineering Kid

Nov 18, 2006
Winnipeg Manitoba
AHHAHAHAHAH.

They are willing to give up job security clauses in their contract. Oh fuck, the auto industry is saved now.

At a news conference in Detroit, the U.A.W.’s president, Ron Gettelfinger, said that his members were willing to sacrifice job security provisions and financing for retiree health care to keep the two most troubled car companies of the Big Three, General Motors and Chrysler, out of bankruptcy.
They are willing to give up things they don't have anyways. This isn't even a concession from the UAW.

And only for 2 of the 3 companies....because they think ford still has enough money to remain liquid long term.
I work the industry, and I pray that these overpaid monkeys are all out on their asses, even if it cuts my paycheque in half for a few years.

Divine

OT Supporter
Dec 31, 2004
Charlotte
AHHAHAHAHAH.

They are willing to give up job security clauses in their contract. Oh fuck, the auto industry is saved now.

They are willing to give up things they don't have anyways. This isn't even a concession from the UAW.

And only for 2 of the 3 companies....because they think ford still has enough money to remain liquid long term.
I work the industry, and I pray that these overpaid monkeys are all out on their asses, even if it cuts my paycheque in half for a few years.

GM and Chrysler should take a prepackaged bankruptcy so they can tell the UAW to :fawk: May be the only way to lower the pay to reasonable levels for the UAW workers.

Engineering Kid

Nov 18, 2006
Winnipeg Manitoba
1) betting on the government bailout
2) government pension guarantees, brah.

1) Gov't bailout would still result in massive layoffs so it's a moot point
2) Gov't guarantees principle on their pensions, but with stock market tanking, their pension fund isn't growing and isn't enough to cover current or future obligations. Yes their principal is covered, but not future obligations.

Is this really a bold move from the CAW, or them just saying "well shit, I guess we can flex a little, since we are all about to be jobless"

Too little, too late.

EDIT...I bet you are a union worker, who failed out of highscool and makes $50/hr. Based purely on your statements in this thread.

Engineering Kid

Nov 18, 2006
Winnipeg Manitoba
someone please tell what the point of a union is these days?

Because all the right to work legislation and restrictive labor laws aren't enough... Gotta protect ourselves from 'the man'.

Once a line assembler at chrysler said something like this to me...
If it wadn't for doze unions, we'd be workin 40 hrs a week, for regular joe pay.
Is that what you want for us line workers huh? We's makin america here...We work on the Auto-Mo-Beel line, buildin up america.
That's what unions are for.

JayC71

I'll grant you the unemployment line if you concede to lick my sack.

camarosrool

yes i am
Jan 20, 2007
Austin, TX
I already said this in another thread

the UAW will throw the workers under the bus to save their own jobs and paychecks

they will do everything they can to screw teh employees while padding their own pockets

Engineering Kid

Nov 18, 2006
Winnipeg Manitoba
They made some major concessions in the last contract with GM
All new hires will be paid at a lower rate, and with fewer benefits.

That's the UAW's big concession.

Firstly, the big 3 aren't hiring anyone lately...so it has no tangible impact.
Secondly, it does wonders for the already low morale of any line workers.

What if you went to work, and the guy in the next room did exactly the same job as you, with the same skill and motivation, but got paid a lot more, and had a plush retirement package. I thought the UAW stood for labor equality. In the 80s, when women started working labor jobs a lot more, the UAW jumped all over the 'Equal work for equal pay' band wagon.

It's like a home renovation. Your house has bad plumbing, bad wiring, crappy drywall, creaky and warped floors.You have the best lot in the neighborhood, with a fantastic view and good school zone.

Sure you could fix each piece of your house, bit by bit, and end up with a home that is livable again, at a hefty price.

Or you could bulldoze the house, rebuild with new construction on the same lot. Still your property, and then you can build up exactly what you want, no compromise.

Labor relations in the big three need to be bulldozed.

camarosrool

yes i am
Jan 20, 2007
Austin, TX
All new hires will be paid at a lower rate, and with fewer benefits.

That's the UAW's big concession.

Firstly, the big 3 aren't hiring anyone lately...so it has no tangible impact.
Secondly, it does wonders for the already low morale of any line workers.

What if you went to work, and the guy in the next room did exactly the same job as you, with the same skill and motivation, but got paid a lot more, and had a plush retirement package. I thought the UAW stood for labor equality. In the 80s, when women started working labor jobs a lot more, the UAW jumped all over the 'Equal work for equal pay' band wagon.

It's like a home renovation. Your house has bad plumbing, bad wiring, crappy drywall, creaky and warped floors.You have the best lot in the neighborhood, with a fantastic view and good school zone.

Sure you could fix each piece of your house, bit by bit, and end up with a home that is livable again, at a hefty price.

Or you could bulldoze the house, rebuild with new construction on the same lot. Still your property, and then you can build up exactly what you want, no compromise.

Labor relations in the big three need to be bulldozed.

they are laying off line workers and hiring in new ones at the lower rate

then they contract people in for 89 days and lay off for 2 months so they dont have to pay benefits either

Engineering Kid

Nov 18, 2006
Winnipeg Manitoba

then they contract people in for 89 days and lay off for 2 months so they dont have to pay benefits either
Supply and demand, don't like the job, go to DeVry and get a diploma....become more in demand.

Moreover, I call BS unless you have some reference. They can't lay off current and hire new. That's like bullet point number 1 of every standing labor contract the UAW holds.

If that was truely possibly, why wouldn't the big 3 just fire all their staff and hire new people at lower rates? (because you are talking out of your ass....that's why)

But I miss sterling heights. I used to live in Hamtramck and then Grosse pointe.

Supernoma

servus publicae
OT Supporter
Aug 30, 2002
Dayton, OH

:werd: GM has had two-tier employees working for about six months now and temps nearly as long. And the temps do not get benefits. Just holidays after 90 days.

camarosrool

yes i am
Jan 20, 2007
Austin, TX
Supply and demand, don't like the job, go to DeVry and get a diploma....become more in demand.

Moreover, I call BS unless you have some reference. They can't lay off current and hire new. That's like bullet point number 1 of every standing labor contract the UAW holds.

If that was truely possibly, why wouldn't the big 3 just fire all their staff and hire new people at lower rates? (because you are talking out of your ass....that's why)

or I am seeing it happen

and they will do that

but they are doing it in stages

eventually all of them will be making 12 an hour with no benefits

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterparl19