So what hobbies have you developed during the coronavirus?

SCirone

Aug 18, 2004
I started messing around with woodworking. Mostly starting off with cutting boards, but want to start making serving trays, coasters, and other items soon. Going to go to my first pop up event saturday to see if I can sell any

Attachments

• IMG_2913.jpg
    IMG_2913.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2914.jpg
    IMG_2914.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2914.jpg
    IMG_2914.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2912.jpg
    IMG_2912.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5

onyourchin

Aug 31, 2007
SF
Learned an amazing new masturbation technique
Alc and weed tolerance way up
Got really good at nba2k
Learned a lot about myself through therapy that I started end of last year
Spent way too much time consuming political doom, so I know how our govt functions a little bit better than before

What a year

Oman4x4

OT Supporter
Sep 22, 2004
Dubai / Oman / Saudi Arabia
Workload increased compared to before. Market is tough but we're in fight to survive mode and will hopefully come back stronger. I've got a ton of lego boxes I still haven't had the time to open. Spent about 6 months working continuously 16 hour days 7 days a week.

Eventually burnt out though, spent more time in the sand so that's been good. Not really a new hobby as that's what I loved doing growing up... but... after a few years of just being too busy with work and other events it was nice to be re-discovering being back out there again. Definitely getting out doors is helping my sanity.

1606349422980.png

Tenny

OT Supporter
Oct 4, 2005
Houston
I started messing around with woodworking. Mostly starting off with cutting boards, but want to start making serving trays, coasters, and other items soon. Going to go to my first pop up event saturday to see if I can sell any

I've thought about making a big cutting board. Something like 26"x18"... Maybe even bigger.

How long does each one take? How much are you planning on selling for?

Cicada

Abraham $LINK’in
OT Supporter
Sep 30, 2008
SoCal

Those are awesome :coold:

set up an etsy shop or something

I’d buy a butcher block :o

TS
TS
SCirone

SCirone

Aug 18, 2004
I've thought about making a big cutting board. Something like 26"x18"... Maybe even bigger.

How long does each one take? How much are you planning on selling for?

It all depends on what you are starting with. If you start with an s4s board (surfaced on all 4 sides) you just need to cut it into strips, get good clamps and glue it up. After that run it through a planer to get it even, trim and route the edges and sides, sand and oil. The whole process from start to finish (not including the glue drying time) takes 1-1.5 hours, but I have a super tiny cellar work space and have to constantly move stuff around and set stuff up so its super inefficient

Price wise I am hoping to get like 75 for the mostly maple boards and 85 for the solid/mostly walnut boards. Boards are slightly larger than 12x16x1.5

I want to start making 26x22 boards and would try and sell those for like 140 for maple and 180 for walnut

Reactions: Tenny
TS
TS
SCirone

SCirone

Aug 18, 2004
Those are awesome :coold:

set up an etsy shop or something

I’d buy a butcher block :o
I might try etsy, but its super saturated with boards, especially people that buy aliexpress/alibaba "walnut" cutting boards and resell them with engraving for like $40

TS
TS
SCirone

SCirone

Aug 18, 2004
Make me a lunch tray with edges
You mean a juice groove? I have a 22x26 maple block I am making for a friend that is going to have a groove. Hope to have that one finished tomorrow.

Do you have an example of what you are talking about? I am looking for more things to try and make to add to what I hope will be my eventual stock

TS
TS
SCirone

SCirone

Aug 18, 2004
Woods I can currently get are maple, walnut, cherry, and sapele. My guy can also get wenge but I havent messed with that yet but really want to.

I really want to try and find some purpleheart and bloodwood but its proving to be difficult

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman