ART So what was your first SLR camera?

pl_silverado

OT Supporter
Feb 24, 2004
Philly
I dunno if this has been done before, so here we go.

Well, when i was like 14 i got this from my Dad.
Minolta Maxxum 7xi, with promaster 28-80 & 28-200 & 5400xi flash. I found the receipt for this thing, it was like $ 1300 back in the day brand new.
IMG_5140.jpg

I used it all thru high school in my photo classes until the 28-200 took a shit and i was too poor to buy a lens :rofl:. I bought the 28-80 this past year so i could give the camera to my sis.

Then when i was about 17, i bought a Canon Rebel
IMG_5142.jpg

:eek3: This camera was responsible for taking mad pics of hot chicks in my photography classes.

And now, at 21 :naughty:
IMG_5138.jpg

There was a few digital point and shoots too, S50, SD400, G9, SD1100IS.

Man, i do not miss developing film and prints :rofl:

xconverge

OT Supporter
Apr 11, 2008
San Francisco, CA
Canon AE-1 with a full lens set from my dad. Used it from 14- present day at 19. Got a d70 a little after getting a Sony VX2000 at 17 from a wedding photog (ive been editing weddings for a videographer since I was 15). Eventually realized video wasnt as interesting to me. I have the eye for both but prefer to freeze time. Although I am pretty critical of how things are shot in movies, I love Top Gear and stuff because of their budget for the DOP and cameras. Sorry for the rant haha!

aCab

Jun 1, 2007
Chicaaago
Damn, everyone skipped film slr's :rofl:

It was actually better, IMO to learn on a DSLR. I put that shit in manual for the first month or so. I got instant feedback on what all the settings did. For that, I would not have gone with a film SLR as my first SLR. Later, when I shot film for my photo I class, my negative were way better than everyone elses cause I could focus more on composition than the technical aspects.

aCab

Jun 1, 2007
Chicaaago
Canon AE-1 with a full lens set from my dad. Used it from 14- present day at 19. Got a d70 a little after getting a Sony VX2000 at 17 from a wedding photog (ive been editing weddings for a videographer since I was 15). Eventually realized video wasnt as interesting to me. I have the eye for both but prefer to freeze time. Although I am pretty critical of how things are shot in movies, I love Top Gear and stuff because of their budget for the DOP and cameras. Sorry for the rant haha!

Top Gear cinematography ftw.

TS
TS
pl_silverado

pl_silverado

OT Supporter
Feb 24, 2004
Philly
It was actually better, IMO to learn on a DSLR. I put that shit in manual for the first month or so. I got instant feedback on what all the settings did. For that, I would not have gone with a film SLR as my first SLR. Later, when I shot film for my photo I class, my negative were way better than everyone elses cause I could focus more on composition than the technical aspects.

I thought that it would be better to learn on a DSLR too, i even tried convincing my teachers but they were hardcore film photogs :rofl:
I didn't have much of a choice in classes.

aCab

Jun 1, 2007
Chicaaago
I thought that it would be better to learn on a DSLR too, i even tried convincing my teachers but they were hardcore film photogs :rofl:
I didn't have much of a choice in classes.

It started as a hobby during freshman year of college for me. I took my first film class a year later. So I had a good year to mess around before I even took a film class.

TS
TS
pl_silverado

pl_silverado

OT Supporter
Feb 24, 2004
Philly
It started as a hobby during freshman year of college for me. I took my first film class a year later. So I had a good year to mess around before I even took a film class.

I took my first film class sophomore year of high school, and back then digital slr's were a bit outta my price range :rofl:

MAD PUNK inDC

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Mar 16, 2000
the machine
Pentax K-1000. Thing was a tank, and the default standard for student use. Also had a Nikon FG. I unfortunately put both down shortly after highschool and only recently took up the hobby again.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor