TECH Solar powered phones

biscuit

Sep 23, 2010
Read an interesting article today about the development of solar panels on phones. Forget the Powermat, or any other charger! Would be awesome if this actually came out :)

Oct 17, 2004
New England
Read an interesting article today about the development of solar panels on phones. Forget the Powermat, or any other charger! Would be awesome if this actually came out :)

I'll keep it next to my solar flashlight and windmill-powered gameboy :ugh:

CodeX

Soon all small portable devices will use a multitude of energy harvesting techniques, solar is but one method among many.

There have been developments in harvesting the heat output of your hand as you hold a portable device, as well as harvesting the changes in acceleration as you move a device around or as it bounces around in your pocket. At the far end you also have the ability to turn ambient sound energy into electrical energy or even drawing small amounts directly from EM fields. Your wifi signal could soon not only provide wireless network access to your phone it could also slowly charge it as well, in conjunction with these other energy harvesting methods.

acmatt92

Jan 26, 2011
NC
well that would ruin my technique of keeping my phone in my pocket..guess I will start making a head case for it while I walk around outside to charge my phone. On a more serious note, it will be interesting on how the problem of longer battery life will be changed in the future. Which companies will excel and which will fall short is going to be the question.

TS
TS

biscuit

Sep 23, 2010
Soon all small portable devices will use a multitude of energy harvesting techniques, solar is but one method among many.

There have been developments in harvesting the heat output of your hand as you hold a portable device, as well as harvesting the changes in acceleration as you move a device around or as it bounces around in your pocket. At the far end you also have the ability to turn ambient sound energy into electrical energy or even drawing small amounts directly from EM fields. Your wifi signal could soon not only provide wireless network access to your phone it could also slowly charge it as well, in conjunction with these other energy harvesting methods.

interesting.. do you have a link or sth?

oakback

Aug 25, 2008
N.FL
I'd rather have a small solar-powered battery charger, with an extra battery. Charge on the dash of the car while parked, then swap batteries when needed. Of course, you'd need a phone that has an easily-removable battery. Could that work?

Sean6293

OT Supporter
Jan 11, 2006
Newburgh, NY
Available this summer actually. Called Airnergy

They have those already, you put the solar panel on your dash or wherever and plug it into your device.

you know i was riding my bike today with my phone in my arm band and wondering why i wasn't letting some of the energy i put into my bike be transfered into a battery which i could than have my phone plugged into for power....

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan