CAR Sold: 3,100-Mile 1989 Porsche 944 Turbo for $135,944

B-Line

*****d[-_-]b*****
OT Supporter
Mar 8, 2009
Los Angeles
Assuming you can get allocations, you could buy and sell new 911s right now and turn a 15-20k profit on each sell immediately.
I have a deposit on an allocation. Probably won't see it for two years. But that's okay. I'm just happy to be in the que.

Burmonster

OT Supporter
Jan 8, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I got an "average" deal on a 2018 CS2 through the dealer network that I have bought 15+ car through in Sept of last year. Price was still withing 5k of MSRP with 18k miles on it.

Last edited:
There was some early 2000's Ford Excursion with really low miles that sold for nearly $100k. For a fucking Ford Excursion. lol.

These were GREAT trucks, the diesels are rock solid, and you cannot get anything similar anymore.

A few years ago I dropped my 911 off at a shop and the owner's wife drove me to the rental place to get a car. She used the shop Excursion. 300k miles and they drove it constantly, despite almost wanting to kill it from spite.

Dusty Busterson

OT Supporter
Sep 19, 2007
Las Vegas
Damn I remember having the chance to get one as my first car. $3,200 for a 1988 944 Turbo with 52k miles in decent shape. The guy just didn’t want it anymore.

You’d never find that deal today :wtc:

Chicane

Ad Hoc
OT Supporter
May 4, 2001
West Virginia
I’ve always like the 968 cab for that body style
My brother-in-law just this week purchased a very choice 968 Cab.
He is hoping for some sports car fun and a wise investment.

He just about lost his mind when he saw this 944T go for over a hundred grand.

I told him they are two entirely separate markets and whatever two buyers saw in that 944T to drive their bids to 130k simply won't happen in a 968 Cab, but it can still be a fun car and a wise place to park some money.

jared_IRL

OT Supporter
Feb 12, 2006
Don’t ya need to resell to get the clean $$?
naah. Buyer and seller are in on it together.

Say we gotta clean $100k. You list a car worth $10k, a bunch of randos or other people keep bumping the price up, and ultimately I come in at $110k and buy the car.

Now you have $110k of clean money, and I have a $10k car. Done.

Reactions: Eskimo Yo-Yo
TS
TS
thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor

President Joe Biden Vice President Kamala Harris
Aug 11, 2003
CAROFUCKINGLINAS
There was some early 2000's Ford Excursion with really low miles that sold for nearly $100k. For a fucking Ford Excursion. lol.

I see other SUVs like this all the time - BAT = money laundering operation or some other fraud

$20k for a 20+ year old SUV with over 100k miles, I’m not buying it

BrianCash

Jan 25, 2009
Chicago

Not only an Excursion but with the 7.3, that doesn't surprise me one bit.

Dusty Busterson

OT Supporter
Sep 19, 2007
Las Vegas
My brother-in-law just this week purchased a very choice 968 Cab.
He is hoping for some sports car fun and a wise investment.

He just about lost his mind when he saw this 944T go for over a hundred grand.

I told him they are two entirely separate markets and whatever two buyers saw in that 944T to drive their bids to 130k simply won't happen in a 968 Cab, but it can still be a fun car and a wise place to park some money.
Tell him to keep the car in stock, clean shape for about another 20 years. He might be able to get $100k for it then although it won’t be the same as that amount today.

Mejnoon

May 6, 2000
Omaha, NE
I was bidding on an 89 S on eBay last week. Didn’t hit reserve. I should make the seller an offer :o

107k mile 500E sold for $57k last week too. Wtf :rofl:

Chicane

Ad Hoc
OT Supporter
May 4, 2001
West Virginia
BAT is just drowning in the media attention, customer attention and the heights their auctions are seeing.

A broker who is in a position to know, posted to a mailing list I am on that he has friends at BAT who haven't been able to keep up with work since late November. Once the year end numbers started materializing and the media started planning articles on the growth at BAT, things just started steamrolling.

Now, there is a wave of sellers with a fear of missing out who are desperate to get on BAT.
Buyers are showing up in droves and just bidding on stuff into the stratosphere just to be a part of what's going on.

Apparently, they have had to bring in some financial people and effectively auditors to just keep an eye on things for when things eventually go sideways. They have a fear that they want to be able to demonstrate all the paperwork and numbers from each auction and show legitimacy of all their dealings.

Not everyone has great stories about BAT, but it seems that most do. It's a crazy time for them right now.

EDIT**** Also and I omitted the reason for the post.
Ponder this, the industry standard auction houses who are finally fed up with the competition. They used to be fine with BAT sucking up the obscure and small market stuff, but now, they cannot ignore the numbers. How about one of the big guys buying out BAT in 2022 and coming up with a co-branding arrangement or simply having the control the siphon off the high dollar stuff to their own auction house.
You can say you heard it here first.

patina

Aug 6, 2005
NC
BAT is just drowning in the media attention, customer attention and the heights their auctions are seeing.

A broker who is in a position to know, posted to a mailing list I am on that he has friends at BAT who haven't been able to keep up with work since late November. Once the year end numbers started materializing and the media started planning articles on the growth at BAT, things just started steamrolling.

Now, there is a wave of sellers with a fear of missing out who are desperate to get on BAT.
Buyers are showing up in droves and just bidding on stuff into the stratosphere just to be a part of what's going on.

Apparently, they have had to bring in some financial people and effectively auditors to just keep an eye on things for when things eventually go sideways. They have a fear that they want to be able to demonstrate all the paperwork and numbers from each auction and show legitimacy of all their dealings.

Not everyone has great stories about BAT, but it seems that most do. It's a crazy time for them right now.

EDIT**** Also and I omitted the reason for the post.
Ponder this, the industry standard auction houses who are finally fed up with the competition. They used to be find with BAT sucking up the obscure and small market stuff, but now, they cannot ignore the numbers. How about one of the big guys buying out BAT in 2022 and coming up with a co-branding arrangement or simply having the control the siphon off the high dollar stuff to their own auction house.
You can say you heard it here first.

I love you but most of what you posted is incorrect. Especially the bits about workload and bringing in auditors.

For what it’s worth, Hemmings was in talks to purchase BaT several years ago and it fell apart at the last minute.

Hearst Media did buy majority ownership of BaT last year.

Reactions: JohnnyBeagle

patina

Aug 6, 2005
NC
Hagerty also tried to buy BaT in the past but wasn't able to put a deal together. Also BaT is now the biggest of the "big guys" in the classic car auction space, I could almost see them buying a Bonhams/Gooding and spinning off the premium side in some capacity, not the other way around.

Reactions: JohnnyBeagle

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright Β© 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448