ART Some headshots - C&C/anything?

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
Friend of a friend wanted some plain and simple nice photos of himself

(He was a terrible model.. eyes closed in about 80% of shots :rofl:)

Which is best?

Four proper ones:

First one purposely quite flat, even light

Self-criticism.. *just* chopped off that tuft of hair, but it's one of the few photos he smiled without squinting/blinking

And two silly ones

Last edited:

starwberry

3rd one is the best. his suit looks ill-fitting in all the pictures though

Cicada

Abraham $LINK’in
OT Supporter
Sep 30, 2008
SoCal
3rd one is the best. I'd get rid of the second catchlight, and maybe fill in/lighten a little more of the left side [camera right] of his face.

Cicada

Abraham $LINK’in
OT Supporter
Sep 30, 2008
SoCal
Not sure if it's just me, but the rim lighting is too much and is distracting.
it _is_ a little strong, but i doubt people that aren't photographers would notice, so i didnt really make a note of it.

Idyfohu

Oct 29, 2003
Utah
it _is_ a little strong, but i doubt people that aren't photographers would notice, so i didnt really make a note of it.

Prolly true...it's the first thing that my eye was drawn to and still is looking back at it.

TS
TS
Marix

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
hmm, yeah it *is* kinda strong but I don't think it's distracting :o

1992 240SX

Jan 10, 2004
Long Beach, CA
Yeah the rim light wasn't necessary for this kind of shot. Did you try one where he wasn't pushing for that full toothy smile? I feel like a classic portrait would look better lips touching, more calm.

Idyfohu

Oct 29, 2003
Utah
Yeah the rim light wasn't necessary for this kind of shot. Did you try one where he wasn't pushing for that full toothy smile? I feel like a classic portrait would look better lips touching, more calm.

This was the one thing I was going to comment on...it almost looks like a joking pissed off look. Like a GROWL, but I assumed it was just his smile. I guess it depends what the headshot is for...if it's a realtor shot or some uber professional shot then I'd say something more conservative with closed lips, but I'm assuming it's not hence the shots you took. :)

TS
TS
Marix

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
The reason is quite funny actually. He's a Muslim guy and is getting an arranged marriage. The girl is in another country and they've never met but he wants to send her some nice pictures before they meet up.

as for the joking pissed off - I think that's just the way his brow goes when he smiles :rofl:

Idyfohu

Oct 29, 2003
Utah
The reason is quite funny actually. He's a Muslim guy and is getting an arranged marriage. The girl is in another country and they've never met but he wants to send her some nice pictures before they meet up.

as for the joking pissed off - I think that's just the way his brow goes when he smiles :rofl:

:bigthumb:

Haha, very cool. Well congrats to him! Have koolaids go shoot some "introductory" photos to give to him. :naughty:

TS
TS
Marix

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
:bigthumb:

Haha, very cool. Well congrats to him! Have koolaids go shoot some "introductory" photos to give to him. :naughty:

haha, he doesn't know what she looks like yet either :noes: (hence the exchanging pictures)

He just wanted something a bit nicer than what he could get from his facebook... hopefully these pics are good enough

charles foster kane

Feb 14, 2007
Croatia
I know it might have something to do with the formality and socio-religious conservative nature of the shots, but I would have suggested to him that a lifestyle series or editorial portrait would have been better? Think e-shoot but with just him in the shots

Headshots work for corporate where you don't want a personality, and for casting because you change your personality for the role... These don't show anything of who he is, just how he looks.

Jcolman

OT Supporter
Aug 19, 2002
dirty souf
Your shots are not "bad" but they could be improved. Especially where you have the rim light.

Here's my quick guide to shooting headshots. I do a lot of them for corporate clients. I work fast, rarely keeping my clients "posed" for more than a minute. I can get them in and out quick and they love it.

Unless I'm shooting outside, I have a minimum of two lights set up, sometimes three. Key light is obvious. It's either a large softbox or umbrella. My second light is either a rim or hair light. It's fired thru a smaller softbox. The trick to a rim light is that it is almost always 180 degrees opposite the key light. I may also use a fill light at times or a background light or two, depending on location.

I start by having my subject sit naturally on a stool. I tell them to turn their body so that it faces the key light. I then have them turn their head toward the camera. I will often have them lean in towards the camera. With women, I like to tilt their heads just a bit.

When given the chance, I like to shoot headshots outside, using one small softbox or umbrella to soften the light.

Here are few shots from some recent gigs.

Talecris-114A-8x11-800.jpg

DHIC-488A800.jpg

DHIC-249Acrop800.jpg

This pic I used a modified "butterfly" lighting setup and a hair light. No rim light.

147-147.jpg

Last edited:
TS
TS
Marix

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
I know it might have something to do with the formality and socio-religious conservative nature of the shots, but I would have suggested to him that a lifestyle series or editorial portrait would have been better? Think e-shoot but with just him in the shots

Headshots work for corporate where you don't want a personality, and for casting because you change your personality for the role... These don't show anything of who he is, just how he looks.

Pretty much the intended purpose :o

But yeah, doing some more exciting "lifestyle" type shots would have been cool. Maybe I'll suggest it if everything goes well! (i.e. if he doesn't find out she's a whale or something)

TS
TS
Marix

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
Your shots are not "bad" but they could be improved. Especially where you have the rim light.

Here's my quick guide to shooting headshots. I do a lot of them for corporate clients. I work fast, rarely keeping my clients "posed" for more than a minute. I can get them in and out quick and they love it.

Unless I'm shooting outside, I have a minimum of two lights set up, sometimes three. Key light is obvious. It's either a large softbox or umbrella. My second light is either a rim or hair light. It's fired thru a smaller softbox. The trick to a rim light is that it is almost always 180 degrees opposite the key light. I may also use a fill light at times or a background light or two, depending on location.

I start by having my subject sit naturally on a stool. I tell them to turn their body so that it faces the key light. I then have them turn their head toward the camera. I will often have them lean in towards the camera. With women, I like to tilt their heads just a bit.

When given the chance, I like to shoot headshots outside, using one small softbox or umbrella to soften the light.

Here are few shots from some recent gigs.

Thanks for the advice, seriously.. it's very appreciated.

I had the rim light bare flash behind and slightly to the right of him. Comparing to yours, mine is too high-power, and maybe an umbrella would have been a good idea so it isn't so harsh.

This was a very short shoot too.. wish I'd have more time to move lights around etc. They were also taken in a dark room so entirely flash-lit. Main light high camera left. Fill light lower camera right. Would have been nice to have natural light as some fill and use the flash to add some extra (like you advised)

I'll make sure to try the 180 degree rimlight and using a softbox/umbrella for it... and to turn down the power.

Thanks man!

TS
TS
Marix

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
Well then... good

I got almost no information.. just friend of a friend is in the area and wants some decent photos of himself to send to this girl. He has just come from work, hence the suit. It wasn't really that planned and it took about 30 minutes :o

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448