ART Sony jumping on the x100 bandwagon

SenenCito

OT Supporter
May 21, 2002
P FKN R
http://gizmodo.com/5821299/1200-will-get-you-a-24mp-range+finding-sony-nex+7-probably

$1200 Will Get You A 24MP, Range-Finding Sony NEX-7 (Probably)

Andrew Tarantola — This may or may not be Sony's new NEX-7 camera. If it is, we're in for a treat.

Rumors are already swirling as to its final feature set but, as the image dug up by Sony Alpha Rumors appears to confirm, the NEX-7 may well include a range finder ala the Fuji X100 as well as a 3 million dot OLED electronic view finder with a Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 lens up front. There's no word yet on the release date but, according to SAR, the camera should cost around $1,200 when it does arrive— on par with the X100's estimated $1199 price tag. [Sony Alpha Rumors via Ubergizmo]

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
It's been in the making for like 2 years, but yeah, hopefully it's good

It'll be interchangeable lenses though

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
Same sensor as the new semi-pro model - ISO goes up to 102,400 :o

edit: it *is* APS-C size though btw

TS
TS
SenenCito

SenenCito

OT Supporter
May 21, 2002
P FKN R
it's not bad, if it comes with a pancake lens (35mm or 24mm sub 2.0) they will have one hell of a camera

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
OT is hilarious in their blind hate :rofl: 24mp on APS-C doesn't mean it'll be crazy noisy. Sensor tech is getting better all the time.

Yes 24mp is overkill and there is an element of "more megapixel marketing", but like it or not, Sony have proven themselves as making good sensors.

There's also no evidence to suggest that this one will be bad, so why not reserve judgement until seeing it? Oh wait, it's cool to hate Sony :rofl:

The fact is that somebody needs to shake up the camera market now, and Sony might as well be the people to do it. There hasn't been anything particularly innovative for a while.. just gradual adding of a few new features here and there. At least Sony are doing something different and giving consumers more choice :dunno:

dmora

How is sony jumping on the band wagon equate to doing something different?

MSIGuy

om nom nom nom!
May 30, 2005
And how the fuck is the X100 on any bandwagon? It's a fucking innovative camera--there are none like it...

FryingPan

Certified Thread Killer
May 19, 2000
Raleigh, NC
I though the D7000 sensor was an in house job? I know the d3x unit is the same as the a900, but I thought the D7K indicated the end of Nikon farming out sensor tech.

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
How is sony jumping on the band wagon equate to doing something different?

Umm, they've been doing the compact interchangeable cameras for a few years now. The NEX series.

The only thing that could be interpreted as "jumping on the bandwagon" is the EVF, which Sony already have in other cameras. And it's only natural for them to put one in a NEX camera.

404 bandwagon not found, sorry

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
I though the D7000 sensor was an in house job? I know the d3x unit is the same as the a900, but I thought the D7K indicated the end of Nikon farming out sensor tech.

Nope. Seems that Nikon apply their own noise reduction, signal processing and jpeg engine etc, but the physical piece of hardware is the same and is made by Sony.

The d5100 also uses the same one

It doesn't really matter - hell, the x100 is rumoured to be the same Sony 12mp sensor found in the old a700 semi-pro model, but Fuji have squeezed some really nice high ISO performance out of it.

Last edited:

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
Umm... it's the only 16.2MP APS-C sensor on the market... :hsugh:

Yep - but it's still the best APS-C sensor, regardless of how many MP it has, right?

You can buy current APS-C cameras right now that have worse sensors. There are cameras which are newer than the d7k, a580 and k5 - like the new 600D.

Or are you talking about the sensor market between manufacturers?

Either way, the point stands. The best APS-C sensor in a camera that a customer can buy right now is made by Sony, so there is no reason to suspect that their new one will be shit without any information or testing.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor