EDU FOOD Sous vide cooking tips v. #JustTheTip

saabguy

Saab-free since 2013. Mortgage guru
OT Supporter
Aug 11, 2003
Loserville. Population: 1
There’s lots of stuff scattered around about sous vide cooking but I don’t see a specific thread talking about it. I got one for Xmas and want to start using it. Suggestions/tips/recipes? I tried googling and I seriously can’t get past the 5000 word essays that people write leading up to their actual recipe for how to cook goddamn food. I don’t care how lemon Rosemary chicken makes you remember your childhood vacations to the lake, Jan. Just tell me how to fucking cook it. Kthxbye.

Reactions: Thumpin'Ram

nadroj

OT Supporter
Sep 2, 2004
Houston
put in bag, seal, cook to desired temperature. if meat, burn with fire

probably one of the best things i have made using sous vide was carrots. beter than grandma used to make

TS
TS
saabguy

saabguy

OT Supporter
Aug 11, 2003
If you’re cooking now and then freezing for later, how do you reheat it?

if cooking 2 pieces of meat, do you need to use separate bags?

what are good veg combinations that you can cook at the same time as your meat?

Scold

Nov 24, 2007
SJ,CA
No reason to vacuum seal if you are just cooking and not storing food for long periods of time.

the goat Sous vide use I’ve found (and I’ve been using them since around 2005), is chicken thighs. Skin on, boneless, salt and pepper, 148 for 2-4 hours, take out of the bag and completely dry the thighs, avocado/grapeseed/peanut oil to 400deg and sear the outside. It will be as crispy as if it were breaded.

Scold

Nov 24, 2007
SJ,CA

I haven’t found a reason to use sous vide for veggies. Two pieces of meat can be in the same bag no problem. I’ll do 6 chicken thighs in one 1gallon ziplock

if you are going to do meats to different doneness levels, cook the more well done meat first for an hour, drop the temp and then throw in the next piece of meat.

TheRightToRemainSilent

Long-Legged Mack Daddy
Mar 31, 2001
a trash can
this is still a thing?

you should have got on board years ago when everyone and their brother on here was doing it....it was the Dr. Bronners soap of its time.

every page on OT was littered with threads on sous vide at one time :rofl:

Sailor Jerry

OT Supporter
Nov 13, 2007
Dirtona Beach

If you're freezing it, just put one portion per bag. If you're eating it immediately it doesn't really matter.

Thaw it out and sear it however you prefer. Pan, broiler, grill, blowtorch, etc.

Sautee/roast/grill fresh veg while you're searing the meat.

Reactions: eric5678

eric5678

striving for mediocrity
OT Supporter
Oct 10, 2003
H-TOWN burbs

I go straight from the freezer back into the water bath for around an hour to reheat, then grill.

It's useful to precook a protein for weeknights. Throw in bucket for an hour, then grill.

TS
TS
saabguy

saabguy

OT Supporter
Aug 11, 2003
I go straight from the freezer back into the water bath for around an hour to reheat, then grill.

It's useful to precook a protein for weeknights. Throw in bucket for an hour, then grill.
If you’re needing to reheat it for an hour, isn’t that only a little less time that it takes to cook to begin with? Would it be better to put all your meats in bags with seasoning, throw it in the freezer, and then take out a bag and cook fully (instead of reheating) then eat? Chicken should be what, 90 min?

eric5678

striving for mediocrity
OT Supporter
Oct 10, 2003
H-TOWN burbs
If you’re needing to reheat it for an hour, isn’t that only a little less time that it takes to cook to begin with? Would it be better to put all your meats in bags with seasoning, throw it in the freezer, and then take out a bag and cook fully (instead of reheating) then eat? Chicken should be what, 90 min?

They're packaged and initially cooked fully seasoned. Typically do beef/pork/lamb in the bags and don't do poultry as the couple times we did chicken it was gummy and not appealing to me.

Sailor Jerry

OT Supporter
Nov 13, 2007
Dirtona Beach
The cut you're cooking and the consistency you want is the determining factor there, but yeah I do breasts at 145 and thighs at 165 for anywhere from 90 minutes to 2 hours depending on what else I'm doing and how close I'm paying attention to the time. You could probably go up to about 4 hours before things start breaking down too much.

Reactions: saabguy
TS
TS
saabguy

saabguy

OT Supporter
Aug 11, 2003
They're packaged and initially cooked fully seasoned. Typically do beef/pork/lamb in the bags and don't do poultry as the couple times we did chicken it was gummy and not appealing to me.
Right, I get it. But I’m saying why not package and fully season them...then chuck in the freezer. And when you want to eat, cook it for 90 min instead of reheating for an hour? You’re basically cooking the same bag for 2.5 hours, yes? So skip the pre-cook and just cook when you’re ready.

vr6vdub

Formz can't handle his emotions.
OT Supporter
Apr 11, 2009
nova
People do the vacuum sealing?

I vacuum seal steaks from Costco and throw them in the sous vide frozen for a couple hours. Makes for an easy dinner.
I haven’t found a reason to use sous vide for veggies. Two pieces of meat can be in the same bag no problem. I’ll do 6 chicken thighs in one 1gallon ziplock

if you are going to do meats to different doneness levels, cook the more well done meat first for an hour, drop the temp and then throw in the next piece of meat.

carrots...

Reactions: Zach

vr6vdub

Formz can't handle his emotions.
OT Supporter
Apr 11, 2009
nova
90% of my sous vide meals are vacuum sealed steaks and mahi mahi straight out of the freezer. Dry, season, sear.

Reactions: Dissent

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman