SRS Started my own biz and family is worried.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by HumanIsFood, Feb 6, 2010.

1. HumanIsFood

HumanIsFood New Member

a year ago i quit my job and started my own business. at first everyone was very supportive. at first times were really tough and i had no business. barely scraping by but slowing moving ahead. these days my company is bringing in a good amount but to expand i need to reinvest almost everything i make. i only pay myself enough to barely survive... all in hopes that reinvesting so much will help my company grow and become successful. i also work 6 days a week (sometimes 7) and i go in early and stay late. i work very hard and my family admires me for that. but it seems very apparent that they are frustrated that i do not pay myself much more. especially my fiance. i can not spend the money i use to when i had a "normal" job and now she is very unhappy. i feel like everyone is thinking "starting your own business is hard... so just quit and work a normal job because its easier and you'll have more money". arg. OT i am selfish for starting my business?!

2. Redbeard

Redbeard OT Supporter

Not selfish. Work harder and you will make it.

3. Makkari

Makkari Awake in a Dream OT Supporter

If that's selfish, then we need more selfish people in the world. If anything it's courageous, though risky, in times like these. Fortune favors the brave, though. Good luck.

4. lansing

lansing New Member

Do the things you want to try and figure out what work you really like and what life you really want to lead when you are young. Do it not until it's too late. hold your hopes and never give up. Gool luck.

5. nindia

nindia OT Supporter

This strikes home pretty hard for me.

I quit my steady job with a "steady" future and decent future income (60-80k in 2-3 years of time put in) because I felt I was capable of more.

For about a year and a half my family basically told me I was an idiot and I should go back, I'm wasting my time yadda yadda...but my heart wasn't in it so I stomped forward with my business/money making ways.

Fast forward 2 years and my business is doing much better...by this years end I should be able to pay myself a very decent salary (with putting in about less than half the hours I would've been putting in had I listened to my family). My side hobby is actually making me a respectable amount of money now as well too.

Don't let people hold you back. Take chances while you're young and still can afford to fall on your ass. You sure as hell won't be able to once your fiance turns into your wife...and if/when you start having kids. My family also respects me much more I've noticed...especially my parents. They realize I'm not an idiot and DO in fact know what I'm doing (sometimes) :rofl:

6. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 Active Member

No offense man but if she doesn't understand why you are doing this now she never will and this will lead to many fights in your marriage.

7. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Dude, your starting your busniess and people are getting fustrated with you? Screw them, your doing something rather hard in these days. Do what makes you happy and in the end you'll make a lot more money and spend a lot less time.