Stress = loss of appetite (and I'm an ecto). Help!

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Falconer, Sep 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Hey,

I haven't really posted much in F&N. I'm an ectomorph. At 5'10" the most I've ever weighed was 173 (@ ~9% bf). Usually I hover around 160-165. Right now I'm like 155. I eat a lot. I've been lifting for 6 years or so. About 18 months ago I competed in a PL meet @ 160 (I got a cold a week before the meet and lost some weight).

So here's my problem. I have a very difficult time adding/maintaining weight, and when I get stressed out (work, gf problems, etc.) my appetite basically disappears. I have no motivation to go to the gym. I have to force feed myself and I'm usually nauseous. Sometimes my stomach will even actually be hungry, but I won't feel like eating and it will take me like an hour to finish a sandwich or something :wtc: It's like I just want the day to end so I can go to bed, and then when that time comes, I realize that I've hardly eaten anything at all all day.

I know some people eat when they're stressed out, but I completely lose my appetite.

Anyone have any advice for dealing with this?

2. AaronOC

AaronOC Guest

motivation to be bigger is a good thing

3. Vito_Corleone

Vito_Corleone New Member

Just eat, force yourself to. Appetite has little to do with when/what I eat.

4. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Problem : not eating enough
    Solution : eating more
    How is that complicated again ?

5. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

The problem is that psychologically I kind of shut down. I understand the concept of eating and gaining weight. Thanks. That's not what I was asking about. I thought I alluded to that in my OP.

6. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Well if the problem is your appetite, stop eating according to your feelings. Count cals and eat enough caloriess according to your goals.

7. 2000GT

2000GT Well-Known Member

I have the same problem when I stress - however, there is never a time I can't drink another protein shake. For the times when real food is just too tough to eat - mix up some protein and maltodextrin. The days you dont eat any real food make sure to take a multivitiamin.

Remember with stress, deal with the root of the problem and it won't reoccur ;)

8. procrastinator

procrastinator New Member

I have that problem as well. I dont have a problem eating when Im not hungry, but sometimes I just cant keep the food down. :hs: Thats a bit of a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.