ART Suggestions for shooting a F1 race this weekend...

FusionZ06

/\__/\__/\__0>
Apr 10, 2004
Sunshine State
I'll be using my 18-200mm VR with my D50 for the first time this weekend.

Weather is supposed to be sunny...

What settings would you guys suggest?

Should I use the lens hood or UV filter?

I don't currently have a UV filter is there a good place to get one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this will be my first time shooting any type of "moving" vehicle :mamoru:

mobbarley

Mar 4, 2005
Sydney
lens hood - yes
uv filter - not really
if you have a clear view then try to pan, start with high shutter speeds and work down from there while still keeping the car sharp.

TS
TS
FusionZ06

FusionZ06

/\__/\__/\__0>
Apr 10, 2004
Sunshine State
mobbarley said:
lens hood - yes
uv filter - not really
if you have a clear view then try to pan, start with high shutter speeds and work down from there while still keeping the car sharp.

What ISO? 200? +/- ev?

ballz

Two of 'em
OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2004
St Petersburg, FL
you going to the st pete grand prix? I live right around the corner from downtown. I was thinking about bringing my gear and playing with my new lens, but it's going to be HOT and I'll probably be drinking.

dano

Aug 28, 2006
Far enough outside Detroit
I'd maybe consider the UV filter depending on where you're placing yourself. Bring it along just in case, not like it's big or anything.

I know last time I went to the Detroit Grand Prix when it was here (they're bringing it back this wear, woo!) there were places that you could almost climb onto the track. Shit kicks up everywhere. I'd rather clean off the filter lens than my real lens.

TS
TS
FusionZ06

FusionZ06

/\__/\__/\__0>
Apr 10, 2004
Sunshine State
ballz said:
you going to the st pete grand prix? I live right around the corner from downtown. I was thinking about bringing my gear and playing with my new lens, but it's going to be HOT and I'll probably be drinking.
Yeah I'll be going as long as you aren't a freak I'll go with you :mamoru:

TS
TS
FusionZ06

FusionZ06

/\__/\__/\__0>
Apr 10, 2004
Sunshine State
dano said:
I'd maybe consider the UV filter depending on where you're placing yourself. Bring it along just in case, not like it's big or anything.

I know last time I went to the Detroit Grand Prix when it was here (they're bringing it back this wear, woo!) there were places that you could almost climb onto the track. Shit kicks up everywhere. I'd rather clean off the filter lens than my real lens.

Yeah where can I get a UV filter in a crunch? Ritz?

e.pie

Dec 3, 2004
KFLY
dano said:

:werd: cleaning off the filter is alot easier
FusionZ06 said:
What ISO? 200? +/- ev?
that would really depend on the lighting you have, just experiment until it looks good, should be pretty easy to dial in though

Cobber

Wanna touch my bunny hole?
Jul 5, 2003
:canada:
The only thing any one can tell you is use a lens hood.

No one knows what the weather will be like the day you shoot ... so the settings will depend on what light you have available.

Oh and take a monopod. They are worth their weight in gold.

And if you havent already pick up a better strap. The longer/hotter the day is the heavier that camera will get.

TS
TS
FusionZ06

FusionZ06

/\__/\__/\__0>
Apr 10, 2004
Sunshine State
Cobber said:
The only thing any one can tell you is use a lens hood.

No one knows what the weather will be like the day you shoot ... so the settings will depend on what light you have available.

Oh and take a monopod. They are worth their weight in gold.

And if you havent already pick up a better strap. The longer/hotter the day is the heavier that camera will get.

Yeah I have a good monopod I got for Christmas.

TS
TS
FusionZ06

FusionZ06

/\__/\__/\__0>
Apr 10, 2004
Sunshine State
turbodude said:
Sure bro. I will be their on Sat and Sunday mainly. Did you get pit passes? If you don;t I can see if i can get extras.

I haven't called my buddy yet he owns the Porsche racing team :eek5: Yeah the one that won last year :run:

Pretty dang sweet...I at least want paddock passes.

You have to wear pants in the pit which really sucks. Let me know...what you can do I'll be there Sat and Sunday.

vtec1994

It always rains at Le Mans
Jun 11, 2001
Atlanta
FusionZ06 said:
I haven't called my buddy yet he owns the Porsche racing team :eek5: Yeah the one that won last year :run:

Pretty dang sweet...I at least want paddock passes.

You have to wear pants in the pit which really sucks. Let me know...what you can do I'll be there Sat and Sunday.
You know Roger Penske?

Derrict

OT Supporter
Nov 19, 2003
Delaware, USA
FusionZ06 said:
What ISO? 200? +/- ev?
a CP would be better than a UV filter.

Sunny, ISO 100

Partly Sunny, ISO 100 (200 if you use a CP)

Partly Cloudy, 200

Cloudy 400

Overcast 800

You may need to make minor adjustments but those should give you the shutter speed an aperture that you will probably use (1/150ish for cars doing 120-160mph, f/10)

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448