Supreme Court Doubles Down On Religious Rights Amid Pandemic

Miesha Taint

May 6, 2006
A deeply divided Supreme Court doubled down on religious rights late Friday night, ruling that California can no longer continue with a ban on indoor church services put in place to fight to the coronavirus pandemic. But the court said that the state, for now, can keep in place restrictions on singing and chanting inside.

The two cases at the center of Friday's ruling marked a test of how far states can go to safeguard public health before running afoul of constitutional protections for the free exercise of religion. In response to suits brought by the South Bay United Pentecostal Church in Chula Vista and the Harvest Rock Church in Pasadena, the court said California cannot bar in-person services altogether, but can limit attendance to 25% of capacity.

Last year the high court, by a 5-to-4 vote, upheld such bans in California and elsewhere. But with the arrival of new Justice Amy Coney Barrett in place of the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the balance of power on the question switched, and this latest order is fresh evidence of the court's willingness to second-guess both epidemiologists and elected officials who are fighting a once-in-a-century pandemic when it comes to questions of religious liberty.

Russel's Teapot

Nov 19, 2012
they want all activities to be treated the same despite what epidemiologists have advised is low-risk, high-risk, etc...

So glad that the High Court of Australia over here has ruled that the Constitution turns a bit of a blind eye during an emergency.

Reactions: Jumpem

LancerV

Buttslut sighting
OT Supporter
Sep 16, 2003
The cornavirus lockdowns in the US are mostly dumb because their is zero supported for any of the closures

KingOfBabTouma

Hepinize daha iyiyim
The cornavirus lockdowns in the US are mostly dumb because their is zero supported for any of the closures
I feel something toxic brewing deep within. So I'm just instead gonna say that I'm not sure what you imagine public support has to do with actions taken to ensure protection from a deadly pathogen and that, in my opinion, you should rethink your statement and possibly retract it because it is not a good look to post such emotion based sentiments which fly in the face of logic and common sense.

morrowalnut

OT Supporter
Oct 28, 2004
I dont even care anymore. Now that I am vaccinated, let the religious dumb dumbs thin their own herd if they feel like it.

Chuck Finley

Florida Man | Infamous ROFL Spammer
Super Moderator
May 1, 2002
St Pete, FL
Seems they can’t outright shut churches down if other establishments are allowed to be open at 25% capacity, and they still can keep the ban on singing indoors. Seems reasonable. :dunno:

Reactions: TheProwler

Fanya

OT Supporter
Jun 23, 2005
They want equality with other businesses lump them in with bars and restaurants and their capacity limits. I think any in person gatherings are silly at this point but it is hard to argue a church is more dangerous than a bar.

Reactions: TheProwler

NoOneYouKnow

Mar 24, 2016
The house that hate built.
how about packed bars are dumb as fuck too and maybe we shouldnt benchmark our activities to the dipshits

Okay well over here in reality the state of California is relaxing restrictions so the governor can maybe not get recalled. If he's going to let others open up then he should treat everyone equally. Restaurants and churches now have the same occupancy cap.

gimpshiznit

Totally not Larry
Aug 9, 2003
Twin Shitties
Okay well over here in reality the state of California is relaxing restrictions so the governor can maybe not get recalled. If he's going to let others open up then he should treat everyone equally. Restaurants and churches now have the same occupancy cap.
imho restaurants are higher in the essential service ranking.
they actually provide a real thing

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jexic84026