GUN Supreme Court Hearing on Traffic Stops

thegooch

Jan 5, 2008
clear.gif

The Supreme Court is hearing a case tomorrow that could do away with RAS (Reasonable Articulable Suspicion) in Terry stops. If they rule along with the 38 states who are filing amicus briefs, then every person in a car in a traffic stop could be removed from the vehicle and frisked without any justification at all.

The CJLF is arguing for a blanket rule permitting the search of all passengers in order to take "complete command" at traffic stops. See page 10-11 of their amicus brief. http://www.cjlf.org/briefs/JohnsonL.pdf

JGAC

Vin Diesel is....
OT Supporter
May 2, 2006
MA
clear.gif

The Supreme Court is hearing a case tomorrow that could do away with RAS (Reasonable Articulable Suspicion) in Terry stops. If they rule along with the 38 states who are filing amicus briefs, then every person in a car in a traffic stop could be removed from the vehicle and frisked without any justification at all.

The CJLF is arguing for a blanket rule permitting the search of all passengers in order to take "complete command" at traffic stops. See page 10-11 of their amicus brief. http://www.cjlf.org/briefs/JohnsonL.pdf

They're legalizing terry stops? :eek3:

What's this doing in WMD?

kellyclan

She only loves you when she's drunk.
May 16, 2001
They're legalizing terry stops? :eek3:

What's this doing in WMD?

No, Terry stops are legal.

What they're considering getting rid of is the need for the officer to articulate suspicion of a specific crime committed or about to be committed by the persons in the car and allowing them to frisk the occupants for weapons solely for the purpose of ensuring they do not have weapons to harm the officer.

JGAC

Vin Diesel is....
OT Supporter
May 2, 2006
MA
No, Terry stops are legal.

What they're considering getting rid of is the need for the officer to articulate suspicion of a specific crime committed or about to be committed by the persons in the car and allowing them to frisk the occupants for weapons solely for the purpose of ensuring they do not have weapons to harm the officer.

I've got to brush up :o

Wobistdu

have any of you guys every been pulled over and your gun was seen by the cop or you told him about it?

how did they react?

Deleted member 50048

have any of you guys every been pulled over and your gun was seen by the cop or you told him about it?

how did they react?

1) go to opencarry.org
2) register
3) search "danbus"
4) read
5) profit

skeletor25rs

Yetis & Deer
Jan 26, 2001
NBTX
This won't effect me personally, because the first thing I do when I get pulled over is hand them my CHL and tell them where the guns/weapons are......but I don't think they should be able to pull your passengers out and search them just because you were going a few miles over the speed limit without having a good reason.

Feb 28, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I haven't heard of a Terry Stop, but I do know that a Terry "Pat-down" Search is used just to search for weapons. During the search the officer is only looking for weapons and cannot seize drugs unless the officer immediately identifies the object.

kellyclan

May 16, 2001

how did they react?

They thoughtfully always seem to ask if I have any weapons in the vehicle "that they need to worry about" or that they "should be aware of". :)

kellyclan

May 16, 2001
I haven't heard of a Terry Stop, but I do know that a Terry "Pat-down" Search is used just to search for weapons. During the search the officer is only looking for weapons and cannot seize drugs unless the officer immediately identifies the object.

Same thing, the frisk is part of the stop. It's called a stop because the officer is detaining you without arresting you.

kellyclan

May 16, 2001
Officers can't just terry stop you and pat you down, they have to have RAS.

Correct, and this ruling will be to decide if they even need RAS to terry occupants of a vehicle other than the driver.

Feb 28, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Why would they seize drugs if they didn't know what they were? Lol

My statement just meant that an officer is not allowed to manipulate the object during a terry search.

For instance, if I was conducting a terry search on you and you had something that I immediately realized was a meth pipe, I would be able to seize the meth pipe. If I did not immediately recognize the object, then I would not be able to seize it because a terry search is only for weapons.

zumin3k

Dec 2, 2006
Northern CA
I got patted down once. They took my keys, phone, etc out of my pocket. They set them on the hood of my car and started talking to me. I said "Do you want my pocket knife too? Right front pocket." "Oh. Yeah, thanks."

JGAC

Vin Diesel is....
OT Supporter
May 2, 2006
MA
Terry was the case where the guys were casing a jewelry store right?

zumin3k

Dec 2, 2006
Northern CA
I meant why were you in the situation in the first place? :o

Heh, stupid mistake. A friend of mine had his doorhandles shaved on his car. I took it to the place to get the popper things installed. When I got out of the car I rolled the windows up all the way. :hs:
They happened to roll by while I had it pried open and reaching in to open it :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan