Taking my dad to get his toe amputated tomorrow morning

lugoismad

Jul 22, 2006
In August he got a staph infection in his toe. It kept getting worse and worse. He was going to a wound care doctor weekly, and they kept taking cultures and trying different antibiotics.
Last week he had an MRI, and the infection has gotten into the bone, so it has to be amputated.

Its gnarly looking. It looks like a zombie toe. Its kinda translucent in some areas, and black in others. And it fucking reeks. He was in the car with me today while we ran some errands and it smelled like pork chops that had been left in the sun for a week.

Not sure when I'll be picking him back up, he was told he might leave that day, or it be a few days, depending on how things go.

Update - He's home. Able to walk on his feet. He walked from the car to his cabin with no issues. Originally his doctor was going to have him stay 2 nights in the hospital with a wound vac on it, but everything went better than expected and they sent him home today.

Last edited:

hurleywurley

That’s a rock fact
OT Supporter
Dec 8, 2006
Dickinson, TX
When I was doing lymphedema treatments, the clinic also treated wounds like that. Like you said, shit was gnarly there with some gruesome stuff. With it getting into the bone, will the procedure pretty much guarantee it doesn't spread?

TS
TS
lugoismad

lugoismad

Jul 22, 2006
When I was doing lymphedema treatments, the clinic also treated wounds like that. Like you said, shit was gnarly there with some gruesome stuff. With it getting into the bone, will the procedure pretty much guarantee it doesn't spread?

Yeah, his wound care doctor says it should heal very quickly once the infection has been cut off.

TS
TS
lugoismad

lugoismad

Jul 22, 2006
Am I wrong, are isn't the big toe fairly important to us in walking?

Apparently once he's out of a walking boot, he'll get a prosthetic toe to stick in the end of his shoe, to help balance.

Kind of like this.
1609364279231.png

the_antsy_honda

This is the story of a little ship...
Dec 17, 2001
California
Sucks man, I know this feel.

My father has had half a dozen toes amputated already due to diabetes complications and infections. Same deal.

:hug:

TS
TS
lugoismad

lugoismad

Jul 22, 2006
Sucks man, I know this feel.

My father has had half a dozen toes amputated already due to diabetes complications and infections. Same deal.

:hug:

No diabetes here. He's fairly healthy for an overweight 60 year old. This was just bad luck.

We're all worried because his dad lost a knee to MRSA about 20 years ago, I don't want to see him lose his foot.

• Sad
Reactions: the_antsy_honda

the_antsy_honda

This is the story of a little ship...
Dec 17, 2001
California
No diabetes here. He's fairly healthy for an overweight 60 year old. This was just bad luck.

We're all worried because his dad lost a knee to MRSA about 20 years ago, I don't want to see him lose his foot.

Yeah, it's pretty terrible. Especially for a man I think, they tend to take losing mobility/function hard. Try to help him with mental health if you can.

TS
TS
lugoismad

lugoismad

Jul 22, 2006
Yeah, it's pretty terrible. Especially for a man I think, they tend to take losing mobility/function hard. Try to help him with mental health if you can.

In the spring we're going to California to see Redwood national forest. So he knows he's gotta get off his ass and do PT so he can do some hiking this spring.

Reactions: the_antsy_honda

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman