GUN Taking the plunge: Buying a 10/22 tomorrow

THT

The easy way is always mined
Mar 16, 2005
The booby hatch
Local Walmart has a Ruger 10/22 Target Blue (20" barrel) in stock for $193. I want to build a 25-100yd tackdriver.

1) Is this the right rifle to start with and is this a decent price?
2) What aftermarket parts should I buy?
3) Recommended vendors for parts?

xpinchx

hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil
Dec 18, 2003
East Lansing, MI
That's actually a decent price for the target model, but IMO the best way to do it is find a cheap base model at a pawn shop for $100-$150 since most of the parts are going to be thrown away anyway. Then do this in the following order:

Bull Barrel
Stock that will fit bull barrel
VQ target hammer
VQ hammer/trigger springs
Extended magazine release
Auto bolt release
Hard edge extractor
Polyurthane buffer

Or forget all the internals and just get a KIDD trigger housing (all-inclusive).

Market Garden

Kidd Trigger & Kidd Match Bolt are two must haves...

I really see no advantage to the KIDD bolt. I have a KIDD trigger and I love it, and I use the stock bolt that has seen probably 10,000 rounds, and I've never said to myself "man, I wish I had that $75 bolt."

imperial

Lurker | Gun | STI Crew
OT Supporter
Nov 21, 2005
Frozen Tundra, MN
I really see no advantage to the KIDD bolt. I have a KIDD trigger and I love it, and I use the stock bolt that has seen probably 10,000 rounds, and I've never said to myself "man, I wish I had that $75 bolt."

I had severe extraction problems with my rifle when it had the stock extractor so I had the "while I'm in there..." mentality and just did the match bolt. Haha.

Market Garden

I had severe extraction problems with my rifle when it had the stock extractor so I had the "while I'm in there..." mentality and just did the match bolt. Haha.
What barrel were you using? I have a Shilen Match barrel that had all sorts of issues, but that was because of the very tight chamber. My Tac Sol barrel has a sporter chamber, which is pretty loose, and I almost never have issues. I finally replaced my extractor after ~10,000 rounds just because I had a new extractor lying around. The old one was still fine.

imperial

Lurker | Gun | STI Crew
OT Supporter
Nov 21, 2005
Frozen Tundra, MN
What barrel were you using? I have a Shilen Match barrel that had all sorts of issues, but that was because of the very tight chamber. My Tac Sol barrel has a sporter chamber, which is pretty loose, and I almost never have issues. I finally replaced my extractor after ~10,000 rounds just because I had a new extractor lying around. The old one was still fine.

Tactical Solutions 16.5" Aluminum .920

Market Garden

i've got like $1600 in my 10/22

silencer, short barrel, duracoat, optics, stock, etc

:rofl:
I silenced short barreled .22 with an optic? Tell me it's some kind of red dot and not a scope.

imperial

Lurker | Gun | STI Crew
OT Supporter
Nov 21, 2005
Frozen Tundra, MN
Weird, they're loose chambers. Did your original bolt/extractor have lots of rounds through it? Did you look at the extractor after you took it out?

The gun was never fired until all the mods but the bolt were done. It had maybe 250 rds through it before I swapped bolts.

And no, I didn't look at the extractor. One of those things I probably should have but just didn't really pay any attention to when I did the swap.

Market Garden

Accuracy more than anything.

Shilen makes a nice match barrel. I have one, and it's pretty sweet. You're going to have feeding issues with a chamber like it has, but if you're looking for the best accuracy, that's what you're going to have to deal with.

50 yards, 5 shots
DSCF5874.jpg

xpinchx

hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil
Dec 18, 2003
East Lansing, MI
What's so great about the Kidd one? I got the $5 steel extractor and I chamfered my bolt with a dremel. Cycles like a dream and I've had 0 malfunctions using federal champion (blue box) after 5,000+ rounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448