GUN talk to me about 22's....

jared_IRL

OT Supporter
Feb 12, 2006
I'm considering buying the wife a 22 to ease her into shooting...

Not sure which ones I should be considering, or even if it's a good idea to head down this road...

I'd like something that looks and feels like a typical auto, instead of something that looks like a toy or target shooter...

I was considering the Sig Mosquito, but the reviews are a mixed bag... Some people say the trigger blows and it's not accurate at all...

Any recommendations? Would a cheap 9 be a better idea?

GammaRadiation

Feb 15, 2007
Random Location.FL
Why cant it look like a "toy" or target pistol?

I dont know a ton about pistols but I've been researching 22 cal pistols as well and it seems if you want cheap, accurate, and good operation then an entry level target pistol with a non target barrel (ie cheap) is the way to go. If she is not going to carry this weapon, why does it matter? The longer barrel is going to be better balanced and it is more suited to work on her marksmanship.

I've also heard good things about a certain glock knock off, I dont remember the model or the company. I will go back and look it up if I still have the e-mails or perhaps someone else will know what I am talking about. IIRC they are $200-250 new.

TS
TS
jared_IRL

jared_IRL

OT Supporter
Feb 12, 2006
Why cant it look like a "toy" or target pistol?

I dont know a ton about pistols but I've been researching 22 cal pistols as well and it seems if you want cheap, accurate, and good operation then an entry level target pistol with a non target barrel (ie cheap) is the way to go. If she is not going to carry this weapon, why does it matter? The longer barrel is going to be better balanced and it is more suited to work on her marksmanship.

I've also heard good things about a certain glock knock off, I dont remember the model or the company. I will go back and look it up if I still have the e-mails or perhaps someone else will know what I am talking about. IIRC they are $200-250 new.

I guess it's not a big deal, but I want her to get used to shooting something that looks and feels like a normal auto, so it's a seamless transition to something larger....

I'm prolly making a big deal about nothing though... :dunno:

GammaRadiation

Feb 15, 2007
Random Location.FL
And in all reality if she has never shot pistols, or at all, you should just take her to a gun store and have her hold various weapons and see what she likes best.

After she finds a grip that she likes, if possible have her shoot that weapon in various calibers starting small and moving up. B&M stores are a little more $$$ but unless you know what you want it is a fantastic service to be able to hold the weapon before purchasing.

just my 0.02.

NetChemica

OT Supporter
Aug 31, 2003
:werd: on the Ruger Mark III. They come in two versions. Mark III and Mark III 22/45.

The 22/45 has a less aggressive angle than the Mark III version and is meant to emulate the 1911 series. Both are the exactly the same as far as accuracy and reliability. The 22/45 tends to be a bit cheaper.

Fook Yoo

OT Supporter
Aug 6, 2002
houston
i vote for the 22/45 also,those guns digest almost any kind of ammo you feed at it and will last forever.if you going for the something that looks like a traditional handgun look into the gsg 1911 style .22 i been reading good reviews on them lately.

Radicus

Jul 5, 2005
Free State
Show your wife this video and tell her to man the fuck up. :wiggle:

[y]EYUtOWTwxh0[/y]

Unless you're just looking for an excuse to buy a .22. :rofl:

Radicus

Jul 5, 2005
Free State
if you buy something and hand it to her she will be less likely to use as something she has a say in. take her to the gunstore and let her play with guns

If I did that with my wife she would pick a 22. :o I told her fuck that, she gets the 590 if If I'm not around.

BLH

Jan 15, 2006
KS
Ruger MkII or Browning Buckmark.

Great pistol, easy to find used for reasonable prices, and reliable.

kellyclan

She only loves you when she's drunk.
May 16, 2001
If it HAS to be a regular gun; SIG P229 .22

When she moves up, you can get the 9mm upper for like $300

The BEST choice would be a Browning Buckmark or Ruger Mk2. Let her get the fundamentals on the simplest package before you worry about what she may want to grow into.

Mitch'SS

Aug 10, 2000
TX
And in all reality if she has never shot pistols, or at all, you should just take her to a gun store and have her hold various weapons and see what she likes best.

After she finds a grip that she likes, if possible have her shoot that weapon in various calibers starting small and moving up. B&M stores are a little more $$$ but unless you know what you want it is a fantastic service to be able to hold the weapon before purchasing.

just my 0.02.

That’s what I did. Unfortunately she wanted the Taurus pt 111 9mm. But it was cheaper than the ones I wanted to get her :rofl: However I am glad she was into it. And she can use it well and has decent groupings. And it has never FTF. So I am just glad she has something she would use if I was not at home :bigthumb:

AF Rugby

Gun in my mouth, I pray for the sunshine
Mar 15, 2000
New Haven,CT
love my .22 mkII anyone that shoots it loves it as well, its so easy and fun to shoot.. its almost my girlfriends fav. gun..

kellyclan

She only loves you when she's drunk.
May 16, 2001
Show your wife this video and tell her to man the fuck up. :wiggle:

Unless you're just looking for an excuse to buy a .22. :rofl:

He did impressively well, sho'nuff, but I learned to shoot on mostly 9mm and .45 when I was his age and developed some bad flinch and trigger habits that took years to undo. I'm a big believer in learning on .22's.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan