Tesla Crew v.MS90D or 100D

Noah

What we know best we haven’t been taught.
OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2003
Earth
:wavey: Tesla Crew. My wife and I are looking at a CPO Model S and struggling between the 90D and 100D. The battery degradation problem set with the 90D is the chief cause for this pause. This article sums things up nicely - https://electrek.co/2020/06/12/tesla-data-battery-degradation-limited-mileage-packs-equal/

The range difference between the 100D and 90D is ~40 miles, a .1 second 0-60 difference between them, and all CPO’d MSs have FSD enabled. Further the 8 year battery warranty remains intact, and both carry the same warranty. I’ve spoken with a few Tesla Sales reps and they’ve strongly suggested, based on “battery chemestry” to avoid the 90D and look at the 100D.

Is this a valid concern?? Is the 100D worth the additional cost? Does the 90D battery degradation really impact daily driving??

From a how we’ll use it...daily driver covering ~50 miles a day. Road trips are possible.

Topgun

OT Supporter
May 23, 2003
MN
All the Tesla batteries are generally great, mine is over 5 years old and only ~5-7% degradation

Also, I do road trips no problem in a 70D, either the 90 or 100 will be just fine.

JohnnyBeagle

Calcutta Viper
OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2004
🤣
100D but ask them to remove FSD and reduce it from your purchase price before you buy. It won't be worth it's cost for a while and you may not own the car by the time it's worth it

Reactions: michael
TS
TS
Noah

Noah

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2003
Earth
100D but ask them to remove FSD and reduce it from your purchase price before you buy. It won't be worth it's cost for a while and you may not own the car by the time it's worth it

FSD is being included on all used Tesla Model S’s regardless now. I suspect that Tesla wants the data analytics even if you don’t/can’t use FSD.

Interesting thought though! I’ll ask the question!

JohnnyBeagle

Calcutta Viper
OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2004
🤣
FSD is being included on all used Tesla Model S’s regardless now. I suspect that Tesla wants the data analytics even if you don’t/can’t use FSD.

Interesting thought though! I’ll ask the question!
they package it in on the cars and sales price
you can ask for it to be removed

jelloslug

OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2003
Greenville, SC
100D for sure. The MCU 2.0 will only be there if it’s a late ‘18 model. You can add it after the fact for ~$2000 in older models. The AP 3.0 hardware upgrade will be free if you have the FSD package.

TS
TS
Noah

Noah

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2003
Earth
Update; order placed for a 2017 Model S 100D. Blue with Ultra White interior. Options include FSD AP2.5, HiFi, Sub Zero, Smart Air Suspension, HEPA Filter, Dual Charger, and Premium interior upgrades.

Getting the charging point setup in the garage in the next few days. Is the wall charger worth it??

herpes

OT Supporter
Jun 4, 2005
dfw
Update; order placed for a 2017 Model S 100D. Blue with Ultra White interior. Options include FSD AP2.5, HiFi, Sub Zero, Smart Air Suspension, HEPA Filter, Dual Charger, and Premium interior upgrades.

Getting the charging point setup in the garage in the next few days. Is the wall charger worth it??
Naw charging a 100D at 15 amps should be sufficient

JaimeZX

Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew
Nov 7, 2005
Back in VA

:cool: That's basically the car I want.

Mind saying how much?

For the charger - depends on how much you're thinking to drive it vs. how long you'll be parked. A standard dryer outlet should be a minimum of 30A @220V = 6.6KW = 80% battery from 0% if parked for ~12 hours, or +52KWh in 8 hours, which again should be plenty for most purposes. Since you have dual chargers you may be able to charge at between 48A and 80A with the right charger setup. (Interesting thread here) . If you could get the fabled 80A that's nearly 20KW, or 80% from zero in ~four hours. :bowdown:

15A would be half of the above on a 100KWh battery.

TS
TS
Noah

Noah

OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2003
Earth

I was lucky and got 20 amp circuits for the 110 outlets! those extra 10 amps will add...say .3/mile per hour.

:cool: That's basically the car I want.

Mind saying how much?

For the charger - depends on how much you're thinking to drive it vs. how long you'll be parked. A standard dryer outlet should be a minimum of 30A @220V = 6.6KW = 80% battery from 0% if parked for ~12 hours, or +52KWh in 8 hours, which again should be plenty for most purposes. Since you have dual chargers you may be able to charge at between 48A and 80A with the right charger setup. (Interesting thread here) . If you could get the fabled 80A that's nearly 20KW, or 80% from zero in ~four hours. :bowdown:

15A would be half of the above on a 100KWh battery.

$52k coming from Costa Mesa, CA. OEM Warranty through the end of the year, plus Tesla CPO warranty for an additional 12 months. After that we’ll get a 3-6 year third party.

Can’t wait to get it!

Reactions: MrMechanic383

JaimeZX

Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew
Nov 7, 2005
Back in VA
I was lucky and got 20 amp circuits for the 110 outlets! those extra 10 amps will add...say .3/mile per hour.
wat

$52k coming from Costa Mesa, CA. OEM Warranty through the end of the year, plus Tesla CPO warranty for an additional 12 months. After that we’ll get a 3-6 year third party.
Can’t wait to get it!
Awesome man. :coold:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman