TECH text document problem

KenIIDX

Nov 9, 2004
So my friend has an 89kb text document he edits with wordpad. All was fine up until today when he went to open it and all he sees now is this:

gwchamhh4dhfnitsh4.png

i looked around the interwebz and found some info about why this might be happening but nothing definitive and nothing that really helps.

this problem has always perplexed me though usually i've been able to find ways around it but atm i'm stumped.

from what i have gathered, text encoding got messed up. is there any way to fix this or get back what was converted into those box symbols?

:hsd:

CodeX

Open it in a hex editor...

Did he create this file? Those square characters occur when the data in the file is not in the ASCII character range

TS
TS
KenIIDX

KenIIDX

Nov 9, 2004
yeah he created it and has been opening it and editing it for the past couple of months and finally today he ran into this problem after doing nothing differently....

doubledave

Jun 28, 2008
Try changing fonts or opening in notepad. If that doesn't work, it must have gotten corrupted, which you would definitely be able to tell in a hex editor. Avoid wordpad at all costs.
Ultraedit 32 is a good text and hex editor program; it comes with a shareware free trial.

TS
TS
KenIIDX

KenIIDX

Nov 9, 2004
Try changing fonts or opening in notepad. If that doesn't work, it must have gotten corrupted, which you would definitely be able to tell in a hex editor. Avoid wordpad at all costs.
Ultraedit 32 is a good text and hex editor program; it comes with a shareware free trial.
thanks I'll check that out tomorrow.

yeah what I originally figured was it got corrupted somehow :hs:

critter783

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2005
I have word but I use NotePad to type out HTML sometimes. Why should I avoid it?
I would avoid it just on the principle that it offers you no useful functionality aside from the very basic ability to edit a simple text file.
I'll cast another vote for Notepad++. Its like Notepad on steroids. It gives you syntax highlighting, code folding, and all kinds of nice features, and its a really lightweight app. I use it just like you would use Notepad.

wabash9000

Dec 27, 2006
Olathe, KS
I would avoid it just on the principle that it offers you no useful functionality aside from the very basic ability to edit a simple text file.
I'll cast another vote for Notepad++. Its like Notepad on steroids. It gives you syntax highlighting, code folding, and all kinds of nice features, and its a really lightweight app. I use it just like you would use Notepad.
I wish it was posiible to put notepad++ in place of the normal notepad. I'll throw in another vote for notepad++.

critter783

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2005
I wish it was posiible to put notepad++ in place of the normal notepad. I'll throw in another vote for notepad++.

You can. It just involves replacing the notepad.exe with notepad++ executable. I think there are more detailed instructions on the np++ website.

Joe_Cool

Judge Judy and Executioner
OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2003

Why is this a bad thing? It's not like it claims to be anything more than that. Editing a text file is exactly what it's supposed to do, and it works 100% as advertised.

critter783

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2005
Why is this a bad thing? It's not like it claims to be anything more than that. Editing a text file is exactly what it's supposed to do, and it works 100% as advertised.
I guess its not necessarily a bad thing, but I found that with a little bit of effort up-front, I can use a text editor that's got a much richer set of features.
My personal opinion is that MS should include a text editor with more features in their OS releases. I'm not really interested in debating the merits of the stock text editor though.

Joe_Cool

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2003
I guess its not necessarily a bad thing, but I found that with a little bit of effort up-front, I can use a text editor that's got a much richer set of features.
My personal opinion is that MS should include a text editor with more features in their OS releases. I'm not really interested in debating the merits of the stock text editor though.

They do. It's called wordpad.

critter783

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2005
So what you want is for them to give you MS Word as a free OS component. :hsugh:

:ugh2: Word doesn't have the features I want either. I want them to flesh out the capabilities of notepad as a script/code/markup language editor. Give it syntax highlighting support for some languages, some regular expression searching, some basic stuff like that.

White Stormy

Take that, subspace!
Sep 17, 2002
Sparkopolis
I have word but I use NotePad to type out HTML sometimes. Why should I avoid it?

well just for html I guess it's ok, but notepad won't show any hidden characters, so if you opened someone else's file there could actually be whole rows of characters that notepad won't show at all. and notepad will only load files up to a certain size.

also, there's something about *nix/windows encoding that wordpad does better

Joe_Cool

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2003
Man, you've got a half-answer for everything, don't you? I already use Notepad++, I was just commenting that it would be nice if Microsoft would include a text editor similar to vim or np++ with their OS, considering how common those utilities are.

They include a plain text editor. They include a text editor with more features. If that's not good enough, then download something else. And since you already have, you're bitching just to bitch. No OS is going to include everything that's exactly what you want out of the box. That's why there are other utilities that you can get.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan