That feeling when you can see a buck in your scope but can't get a shot.

TheRightToRemainSilent

Long-Legged Mack Daddy
Mar 31, 2001
a trash can
i used to wonder what that felt like after hearing so many others stories, but now i know first hand :(

basically, if anything could have went wrong...it did.

for what it's worth though, the problem wasn't ME....i got ice in my veins.

eric5678

striving for mediocrity
OT Supporter
Oct 10, 2003
H-TOWN burbs
I got two shots off at the biggest buck I've seen in person. He looked at me and walked off. I blamed it on being half drunk and beat myself up over it until it went to the range and wasn't even on paper :o

Reactions: Cashishift
TS
TS
TheRightToRemainSilent

TheRightToRemainSilent

Long-Legged Mack Daddy
Mar 31, 2001
a trash can
Tell the whole story, dummy.

my buddy built a blind, it's like checking into the fucking four seasons when you go in to hunt. propane heater, cooler with snacks and drinks, sliding glass windows all around, somewhat insulated....the works. however he only bought ONE tall chair and it's perfectly adjusted to the height of the window openings for shooting. so the passenger side has a sissy chair that is basically for hanging out in (didn't learn this until it mattered)

we went a few mornings and evenings and didn't see much worth shooting, so actually getting comfortable with a possible shooting position was an afterthought. well, tonight we saw around 20 deer total over a 45 minute period.

for the first time (for me) it was a decent 4 pointer...i opened my window and i tried getting it scoped up while in the chair and the gun was way the fuck too high and impossible. i moved the chair out of the way had to spread my legs wide as fuck and it still wasn't happening, free hand or even with a sandbag rest under the barrel. totally unnatural body positioning and the window was either too high for sitting or too low for standing. also, this deer never stopped walking away from me so all i could see was his ass. he had zero interest in the does that were right there just munching and standing still :ugh:

finally my buddy says "hey ol' bud, you want my seat" so we played musical chairs and his setup is fucking TITS....like hey imma just lean back all comfy with my legs crossed and make any shot i need to because i built this whole stand around the height of this chair........except he only bought ONE of those chairs. :rofl: meanwhile this deer is damn near out of sight by now.

so. key takeaways are now:

if im going to make a shot from this blind, we have to swap seats and do it quickly. because making a shot from the passenger side is physically impossible.

or

we buy another chair to match the one he sits in...which is about $90

Reactions: Capt. Hammer

FritoBandito

Gol Meember
OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2003
Kalifornia
Went hunting in TN using a borrowed rifle. Had a good spot on a log across a deer path. Buck and 2 doe comes straight at me stops and stares 25 yards away. I level my rifle, aim, and squeeze. SHIT safety is on. Deer still staring. Not familiar with the rifle so I tip it up to look at the safety and turn it off. *click* the safety off and BOOM! fired into the sky despite my finger being off the trigger. :ugh: Deer bailed. :wtc:

TS
TS
TheRightToRemainSilent

TheRightToRemainSilent

Long-Legged Mack Daddy
Mar 31, 2001
a trash can
I got two shots off at the biggest buck I've seen in person. He looked at me and walked off. I blamed it on being half drunk and beat myself up over it until it went to the range and wasn't even on paper :o

im not even taking the gun off safety unless i KNOW i can get a shot off at an animal standing still within a reasonable shooting range for my skill level.

i aint about to walk around in 20 degree weather at 2 minutes til dark looking for a deer that i may or may not have even hit.

Samcanadian

Cellular, Modular, Interactivodular
OT Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg
my buddy built a blind, it's like checking into the fucking four seasons when you go in to hunt. propane heater, cooler with snacks and drinks, sliding glass windows all around, somewhat insulated....the works. however he only bought ONE tall chair and it's perfectly adjusted to the height of the window openings for shooting. so the passenger side has a sissy chair that is basically for hanging out in (didn't learn this until it mattered)

we went a few mornings and evenings and didn't see much worth shooting, so actually getting comfortable with a possible shooting position was an afterthought. well, tonight we saw around 20 deer total over a 45 minute period.

for the first time (for me) it was a decent 4 pointer...i opened my window and i tried getting it scoped up while in the chair and the gun was way the fuck too high and impossible. i moved the chair out of the way had to spread my legs wide as fuck and it still wasn't happening, free hand or even with a sandbag rest under the barrel. totally unnatural body positioning and the window was either too high for sitting or too low for standing. also, this deer never stopped walking away from me so all i could see was his ass. he had zero interest in the does that were right there just munching and standing still :ugh:

finally my buddy says "hey ol' bud, you want my seat" so we played musical chairs and his setup is fucking TITS....like hey imma just lean back all comfy with my legs crossed and make any shot i need to because i built this whole stand around the height of this chair........except he only bought ONE of those chairs. :rofl: meanwhile this deer is damn near out of sight by now.

so. key takeaways are now:

if im going to make a shot from this blind, we have to swap seats and do it quickly. because making a shot from the passenger side is physically impossible.

or

we buy another chair to match the one he sits in...which is about $90
How far away was the deer, and what are you shooting?

TS
TS
TheRightToRemainSilent

TheRightToRemainSilent

Long-Legged Mack Daddy
Mar 31, 2001
a trash can
How far away was the deer, and what are you shooting?

at first sight probably 100 yards.

couldn't physically get it in the scope from my side of the blind and he was walking away and all i saw was his ass

played musical chairs

now 300ish yards and hoping he comes back

eventually walked off into narnia

6.5 creedmoor. the gun was capable the whole time. the shot was possible none of the time

TS
TS
TheRightToRemainSilent

TheRightToRemainSilent

Long-Legged Mack Daddy
Mar 31, 2001
a trash can

yeah, because you were there and know the layout of the blind and the land

being able to hold a gun steady and make a shot is one thing. not physically being able to get in a position to even get the chance to shoot is another....it doesn't take a master to figure that out.

for what it's worth, this is only my 2nd season of hunting.

i killed one within 2 weeks of my first season (last year)

Last edited:
TS
TS
TheRightToRemainSilent

TheRightToRemainSilent

Long-Legged Mack Daddy
Mar 31, 2001
a trash can

I knew I couldn't shoot from the chair I was sitting in but I had to try just to be sure...since I'll be stuck there for the next month.

I really really really thought I could stand and shoot, but then the opening was way the fuck too low. I should have opened a window on day 1 and stuck a gun out but never did. (Oddly enough this was the first thing I did in the other blind we used last year) and I had zero issues making a shot when I needed to.

zhiniibob

soy lago
OT Supporter
Feb 1, 2005
at first sight probably 100 yards.

couldn't physically get it in the scope from my side of the blind and he was walking away and all i saw was his ass

played musical chairs

now 300ish yards and hoping he comes back

eventually walked off into narnia

6.5 creedmoor. the gun was capable the whole time. the shot was possible none of the time
300 too far for you?

sp00n155

You underestimate the insignificance of my penis
OT Supporter
Jan 30, 2006
Bisbee, AZ
go practice barricade drills and quit being a ding dong full of excuses you rookie

maxresdefault.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Finest

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright Ā© 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman