CREW SRS The all inclusive parenting thread v. Exhaustion/suicidal thoughts/moments of happiness

the_antsy_honda

Sir, I protest...
Dec 17, 2001
California
Is it bad that I think my three year old is getting extremely annoying? Idk if it’s only child syndrome or what. Feels like she regressed 6 months in the last few weeks. I know they go through phases. But damn I feel terrible for thinking this way. My wife agrees with me so I don’t feel too bad I guess.

Thanks for letting me vent!
Nah, kids can be assholes sometimes

Reactions: Jinx

DasVWBabe

OT's Diamond and Gemstone Tutorial Creator
OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2002
Frisconia
Christ mine whines whenever she doesn’t get what she wants. And we really don’t spoil her so I’m unsure of where it’s coming from.
I remember this. Pretty quickly she'll be able to be reasoned with, but mannnnnn 3-4 was rough. Only children have this very specific note that hits a certain frequency that had me scrambling to develop a regimented plan.

Point out that yes, she's whining. Absolutely never give in when she's whining. When she was whining, I would reiterate to "use her words" since I couldn't understand her (and I reminded her I couldn't understand so she definitely wasn't getting what she was bitching about). We never modeled whining and kept silent when she did it. We rewarded articulating what she wanted with proper language and redirected. Very, very occasionally we timed her out.
LOL that keeps going
Don't scare him. It ends eventually. ;)

I now have a super articulate 7 year old who wounds me with her words. :wtc:

But, she doesn't whine anymore. :hs:

Reactions: kwhitelaw and Jinx

digital jello

i'll be jeans soon
OT Supporter
Mar 14, 2006
I just ignore it, following some guidance. How are the meltdowns?
Wouldn’t bother me as much if my neighbors couldn’t hear it. Woke up this morning and had a tantrum about not being carried to the bathroom. Weird since we don’t do that. Pleasant rest of the morning.

Reactions: Sp33dealer

the_antsy_honda

Sir, I protest...
Dec 17, 2001
California
Mine don't whine about getting what they want that much, my daughter sometimes will just meltdown if she has to do something she doesn't want to like a chore.

But they often will just stonewall me and lie about shit which has been a challenge.

Usually stuff like bruising teeth, etc

digital jello

i'll be jeans soon
OT Supporter
Mar 14, 2006
Point out that yes, she's whining. Absolutely never give in when she's whining. When she was whining, I would reiterate to "use her words" since I couldn't understand her (and I reminded her I couldn't understand so she definitely wasn't getting what she was bitching about). We never modeled whining and kept silent when she did it. We rewarded articulating what she wanted with proper language and redirected. Very, very occasionally we timed her out.
this has been our approach. we just wait her out and explain that isn’t how we get what we want.

Remy Bressant

40 big girls and a bottle
OT Supporter
Jul 24, 2015
SoCal
I remember this. Pretty quickly she'll be able to be reasoned with, but mannnnnn 3-4 was rough. Only children have this very specific note that hits a certain frequency that had me scrambling to develop a regimented plan.

Don't scare him. It ends eventually. ;)

I now have a super articulate 7 year old who wounds me with her words. :wtc:

But, she doesn't whine anymore. :hs:
The 4yr old has a screech that sounds like the Xenomorphs in the Alien series.

The 7yr old has a vocabulary that puts me on my heels from time to time but she absolutely cannot handle not getting exactly what she wants.
Case in point, took the kids to our local lake for dinner/fishing. Her burger had mayo/mustard on it. Seeing this caused a melt down. Like “oh my god is this kid autistic” levels of screaming. Then explaining to her that she loves tuna salad sandwiches and those have mayo on them = instantly OK to eat the burger and now wants mayo/mustard on all sandwhich/burger like items.
:rofl:

• Wow
Reactions: DasVWBabe

Remy Bressant

40 big girls and a bottle
OT Supporter
Jul 24, 2015
SoCal
Wouldn’t bother me as much if my neighbors couldn’t hear it. Woke up this morning and had a tantrum about not being carried to the bathroom. Weird since we don’t do that. Pleasant rest of the morning.
I hear you on the neighbors thing.
We had three kids in a 2bd townhouse for about 4 years :rofl:
Just moved into a 4bd house and life is considerably easier.
My biggest issue was always “the neighbors don’t deserve to deal with this horrific tantrum stuff, they didn’t do anything wrong” mindset.

Reactions: digital jello

digital jello

i'll be jeans soon
OT Supporter
Mar 14, 2006
I hear you on the neighbors thing.
We had three kids in a 2bd townhouse for about 4 years :rofl:
Just moved into a 4bd house and life is considerably easier.
My biggest issue was always “the neighbors don’t deserve to deal with this horrific tantrum stuff, they didn’t do anything wrong” mindset.
I’ve mentioned this before but I’ve apologized to neighbors with bottles of wine in the past. Nobody needs to hear that shit at 7:30 in the morning.

Reactions: Jinx

Ore

OT Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Hamilton ON
alright, drive to the weekend went okay

drive back had a full blown meltdown at ~1hr mark, had to pull over to calm him down and the last 40 minutes were melty too, now trying to get him under control :'(

hard af when they're just working themselves up in the carseat and there isnt much you can do besides try to distract them :(
We once listened to shushhhh noises for 2 hours in Spotify while driving

Hood Moses

Halogen boi
Oct 4, 2001
NC
Our 5mo is usually out within 10 minutes of being in the car. Just did a 6 hour road trip with stops every 2hours.

Real test will be when we go to Florida next week.

Usually it’s Disney songs in the car and the hatch rain sounds when it’s time for nap/bed.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.9.0 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
West1971