CREW SRS The all inclusive parenting thread v. Exhaustion/suicidal thoughts/moments of happiness

Jinx

OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2005
Indianapolis, Indiana
I would sit there with her if she's already been on and exposed to it. I'm a hard no on anything that directly involves engaging with strangers. The only people on our Minecraft server are people in our family and closest friends.
we're generally in the same room when she's playing, and she's constantly showing me the games they're playing or what they're doing. she's very explicit in the only reason she wants to play is because her cousin plays and has already showed me she blocked someone for being annoying, not even creepy/gross. i explained that she's not going to get in trouble for someone being a creep, but she needs to tell me about it so she can be safe.

fuct.

Pax sola in morte
OT Supporter
Nov 12, 2000
Howdy Arabia
Welp.

J8XgJPk.png

Simple

Sexy Beatch
Nov 29, 2001
Edmonton, Alberta
i don't envy navigating access to the internet. when i was growing up it was the wild west but we seemed hyperaware of the pitfalls. kids these days get that early indoctrination and that shroud of naivety. heck, there was a 13-year old locally that was lured by someone from oregon and kidnapped across the US border earlier this month :hs: internet be scary

8legs

8eyes
OT Supporter
Mar 16, 2008
Webbywebz
she's been playing minecraft for a while, but she doesn't have many folks to play with :hs: i was iffy about roblox for a long time, but i caved when she and her cousin asked if she could play. i told her that she should let me know if anyone starts being a bully or mean or anything to her, and she completely agreed, saying that i was better at handling trolls than her :rofl: i also told her to tell me if anyone started getting weird and sexual, and she was like, "well, that's when i tell them i'm ace and to heck off" :rofl:
Remind her that there is nothing so bad that she can't tell you. Often times the way kids get into trouble is by being co-opted by friends. Maybe they just want to play, but maybe the sketchy social aspect is a catalyst. Keep a close eye and tell her secrets are more trouble than they're worth.

Reactions: Jinx

fuct.

Pax sola in morte
OT Supporter
Nov 12, 2000
Howdy Arabia
Remind her that there is nothing so bad that she can't tell you. Often times the way kids get into trouble is by being co-opted by friends. Maybe they just want to play, but maybe the sketchy social aspect is a catalyst. Keep a close eye and tell her secrets are more trouble than they're worth.
Easier said than done. We constantly reinforce this with our daughter, and it still results in stupid ass lies or hiding the truth from us.

• Support
Reactions: 8legs

Jinx

OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2005
Indianapolis, Indiana
exactly. this is a big thing that she and i have talked about, and i'm relatively confident she'll come to me. i explained (without details) about getting myself into one of those situations when i was a kid and how i just kept making it worse by not telling my mom, who eventually fixed it when i broke down to her about it.

• Love
Reactions: 8legs

BStork

Suck My Beak From The Back™️
OT Supporter
Apr 28, 2007
my kid finally asked if she could play roblox since her cousin from poland plays :o is there anything i need to know? she's already proven that she's really good at telling trolls to get lost, and she thinks it's funny to tell me about all of her adventures (and misadventures). we already talked about chores=robux and how it's not an expected thing.

what am i missing? :o

My kids play Roblox...but that's probably going to stop soon.

deadbeef

OT Supporter
Sep 5, 2020
Locked in our Nanny share yesterday :bowdown:
Of course isn't the same for everyone, but IMHO daycare >> nanny share.

No sick days, no administrative crap, longer and more flexible hours, no having to share space/avoid the nanny & kids, and more socialization (as well as the separate benefit of simply learning more because the kid is learning from multiple adults and children instead of just what one nanny brings to the table). Also our Nanny share ended up being 2800 all-in vs ~2k for daycare.

fuct.

Pax sola in morte
OT Supporter
Nov 12, 2000
Howdy Arabia
Starting a new financial lesson for my daughter. We started her off with doing chores = allowance. We got her the busykid card, and she earns about $20 a week doing her chores.

Now, we are teaching her about monthly payments. she's been wanting a new phone. I ordered her a pixel 6a today under the understanding that my wife and I are paying for half, and my daughter is going to pay for half(she's actually only going to be paying $200, but that's not the point)

I'm giving her the option of:
1. down payment with low monthly payment
2. higher monthly payment
3. down payment with a shorter term and higher monthly payment

She hasn't decided which yet. Either way it'll be about $20/mo out of her allowance just so she can get the concept of financing something/monthly payments.

beddachedda

life is uncertain. don't sip.
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
Of course isn't the same for everyone, but IMHO daycare >> nanny share.

No sick days, no administrative crap, longer and more flexible hours, no having to share space/avoid the nanny & kids, and more socialization (as well as the separate benefit of simply learning more because the kid is learning from multiple adults and children instead of just what one nanny brings to the table). Also our Nanny share ended up being 2800 all-in vs ~2k for daycare.
price is currently pretty comparable, and i've heard some pretty bad stories of daycares being shut down for days or weeks with covid - we still have a daycare spot lined up but with the amount we'll be able to WFH and be there it's really attractive. we'll be able to trial the nannyshare for a few months before our daycare spot gets taken, so at least we have a backup if we end up not liking it

sharing space is a plus for us since we'll be able to be close all the time

Ron

OT Supporter
Sep 21, 2003
price is currently pretty comparable, and i've heard some pretty bad stories of daycares being shut down for days or weeks with covid - we still have a daycare spot lined up but with the amount we'll be able to WFH and be there it's really attractive. we'll be able to trial the nannyshare for a few months before our daycare spot gets taken, so at least we have a backup if we end up not liking it

sharing space is a plus for us since we'll be able to be close all the time
Does nanny share do food? Daycares typically provide breakfast, snacks and lunch

beddachedda

life is uncertain. don't sip.
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
Does nanny share do food? Daycares typically provide breakfast, snacks and lunch
nah, that is one of the main cost differences, but we're also comparing against one of us becoming a stay at home parent, which we would do food as well

8legs

8eyes
OT Supporter
Mar 16, 2008
Webbywebz
So... I got my kid a set of those buttons that you can record words on to help him put words to use. He loves it. Downside? The puppy does not. She cries and howls.

:mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.9.0 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
West1971