CREW SRS The all inclusive parenting thread v. Exhaustion/suicidal thoughts/moments of happiness

beddachedda

life is uncertain. don't sip.
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
and dude has just been crying for 40 minutes straight goddamn

wife has been a champ, this is fuckin rough

beddachedda

OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
Sleep learning approach: The Chair Method
This method involves sitting in a chair next to your baby's crib until they fall asleep. Over time, you will move the chair further away from the crib until you are out of the room and completely out of sight.

After bedtime routine is over, place baby into the crib, tell them something like “I love you, goodnight. It’s now time to sleep.” Leave the room. If they begin to cry/fuss, go back into the room and sit in a chair next to the crib. You can soothe them with your voice or by rubbing/patting their tummy. Avoid picking them up out of the crib. You will stay with them until they fall asleep. When they are asleep, you can leave the room.

If baby wakes up, and it is not time to feed, you will go back to your chair and soothe with your voice/patting/rubbing until they fall back asleep. Do not pick baby up. When baby is asleep again, you can leave the room.

Every 2-3 days, move your chair further away from the crib until you are completely out of the room and out of sight. You can move as slowly or as quickly as you feel comfortable with, but I do recommend moving the chair every 2-3 days (no longer than this).

Chair placement example:
* Nights 1-2: right next to the crib
* Nights 3-4: 1/3 of the way towards the door
* Nights 5-6: 2/3 of the way towards the door
* Nights 7-8: in the doorway
* Nights 9-10: in the hallway
* Nights 11-12: in the hallway and around the corner (so you can't see in the room).

*** As your chair moves further away from the crib, we want to gradually fade how much you are assisting baby to sleep. When you are no longer able to touch your child from the chair, you can go to the crib to briefly soothe if baby has been crying continuously for 5 minutes. When you go to soothe, do not pick baby up. You can pat, rub, shush, etc. After 30-60 seconds, return to your chair. Repeat this process until baby falls asleep.

* Both parents can be involved in the sleep training process, but we only want one parent sitting in the chair at a time. Having both parents sitting in the chair will be too stimulating. You can switch sitting in the chair after your child has fallen asleep. For example, if mom is in charge of sitting in the chair at bedtime, dad can sit in the chair at the first night waking. You can continue switching off throughout the night.

*** Naps: You can implement your sleep training approach at the morning and midday nap (not the third cat nap). I recommend giving baby 1-1.5 hours for each nap (time starts from when you put baby down, not when they fall asleep). If baby is awake after 1-1.5 hours, you can end the nap. Cap each nap at 2 hours in order to preserve other naps and bedtime.

Example 1: Put baby down at 8:45am. Baby sleeps from 9:10-9:45am. Give baby until 10:15am to get back to sleep before ending the nap.
Example 2: Put baby down at 8:45am. Baby doesn't fall asleep. End the nap at 9:45am.
Example 3: Put baby down at 8:45am. Baby sleeps from 9:15-10:30am. End the nap at 10:30am.

*** Babies are able to resist sleep more easily during the day than at night. Frequent check ins tend to be more stimulating than soothing. Therefore you may need to increase the time between check ins (e.g. waiting at least 10-15 minutes between checks).

Reactions: 8legs

beddachedda

OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
holy fuckballs on a stick

my wife had a horrific first shift, basically 45min of straight crying, with a 5min timer of when she could pick him up to calm, then he started wailing as soon as he went down, and ended up skipping the nap

my turn for second nap, he cries for 5min, i pick him up, calm him, set him down, he cries for 2min and falls asleep

this is the first time he's fallen asleep during the day without being rocked or fed down

i'm fucking elated

crotch

😑
Oct 12, 2001
Nashville, TN
Sleep learning approach: The Chair Method
This method involves sitting in a chair next to your baby's crib until they fall asleep. Over time, you will move the chair further away from the crib until you are out of the room and completely out of sight.

After bedtime routine is over, place baby into the crib, tell them something like “I love you, goodnight. It’s now time to sleep.” Leave the room. If they begin to cry/fuss, go back into the room and sit in a chair next to the crib. You can soothe them with your voice or by rubbing/patting their tummy. Avoid picking them up out of the crib. You will stay with them until they fall asleep. When they are asleep, you can leave the room.

If baby wakes up, and it is not time to feed, you will go back to your chair and soothe with your voice/patting/rubbing until they fall back asleep. Do not pick baby up. When baby is asleep again, you can leave the room.

Every 2-3 days, move your chair further away from the crib until you are completely out of the room and out of sight. You can move as slowly or as quickly as you feel comfortable with, but I do recommend moving the chair every 2-3 days (no longer than this).

Chair placement example:
* Nights 1-2: right next to the crib
* Nights 3-4: 1/3 of the way towards the door
* Nights 5-6: 2/3 of the way towards the door
* Nights 7-8: in the doorway
* Nights 9-10: in the hallway
* Nights 11-12: in the hallway and around the corner (so you can't see in the room).

*** As your chair moves further away from the crib, we want to gradually fade how much you are assisting baby to sleep. When you are no longer able to touch your child from the chair, you can go to the crib to briefly soothe if baby has been crying continuously for 5 minutes. When you go to soothe, do not pick baby up. You can pat, rub, shush, etc. After 30-60 seconds, return to your chair. Repeat this process until baby falls asleep.

* Both parents can be involved in the sleep training process, but we only want one parent sitting in the chair at a time. Having both parents sitting in the chair will be too stimulating. You can switch sitting in the chair after your child has fallen asleep. For example, if mom is in charge of sitting in the chair at bedtime, dad can sit in the chair at the first night waking. You can continue switching off throughout the night.

*** Naps: You can implement your sleep training approach at the morning and midday nap (not the third cat nap). I recommend giving baby 1-1.5 hours for each nap (time starts from when you put baby down, not when they fall asleep). If baby is awake after 1-1.5 hours, you can end the nap. Cap each nap at 2 hours in order to preserve other naps and bedtime.

Example 1: Put baby down at 8:45am. Baby sleeps from 9:10-9:45am. Give baby until 10:15am to get back to sleep before ending the nap.
Example 2: Put baby down at 8:45am. Baby doesn't fall asleep. End the nap at 9:45am.
Example 3: Put baby down at 8:45am. Baby sleeps from 9:15-10:30am. End the nap at 10:30am.

*** Babies are able to resist sleep more easily during the day than at night. Frequent check ins tend to be more stimulating than soothing. Therefore you may need to increase the time between check ins (e.g. waiting at least 10-15 minutes between checks).
bro fuuuuuuck all this nonsense lmao no offense

Reactions: Sirius and Jinx

crotch

😑
Oct 12, 2001
Nashville, TN
here’s what did

pitch the mfer in the crib, set a 15 minute timer. if he ain’t down in 15, go get him, read one book and rock him for the length of that book, put him back in crib, set another 15 min timer

he rarely made it through second 15 m timer

Reactions: Jinx

beddachedda

OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
this is fucken insane

woke up after 30min, went back in, was asleep in 5 minutes

been asleep another 35 minutes

i'm a believer

Reactions: crotch

beddachedda

OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
wait...you have to teach/train a baby how to fart? :confused: it's such a good thing i'm not a parent... :rofl:
and poop sometimes

they dont really know cause and effect so if they're backed up, sometimes they'll clench their butt instead of letting it go

and they'll cry

and cry

and cry

Reactions: 8legs

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman