CREW SRS The all inclusive parenting thread v. Exhaustion/suicidal thoughts/moments of happiness

beddachedda

life is uncertain. don't sip.
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
Time in chair until sleep:

Day 1
50min (didn't sleep, skipped nap)
15min
10min (same nap as 15 min, got back down)
30min (night sleep, early bedtime)

Day 2
5min, no crying

I know progress is never linear but holy shit feels goodman

BStork

Suck My Beak From The Back™️
OT Supporter
Apr 28, 2007
holy fuckballs on a stick

my wife had a horrific first shift, basically 45min of straight crying, with a 5min timer of when she could pick him up to calm, then he started wailing as soon as he went down, and ended up skipping the nap

my turn for second nap, he cries for 5min, i pick him up, calm him, set him down, he cries for 2min and falls asleep

this is the first time he's fallen asleep during the day without being rocked or fed down

i'm fucking elated

Gotta be careful to not let them get over-tired. Then they don’t wanna sleep

TheBoyWonder

OT Supporter
Jun 7, 2006
The Jersey Shore
My daughter (5 months) is a horrific napper. 30 minutes max. A couple days last week she did an hour plus and it was amazing.

She does sleep through the night though so I really can’t complain but man if she could extend those naps we’d be thrilled.

Oh she also usually screams her head off prior to falling asleep. That sucks.

• Love
Reactions: Simple

Sirius

Jul 11, 2007
Chicago
My daughter (5 months) is a horrific napper. 30 minutes max. A couple days last week she did an hour plus and it was amazing.

She does sleep through the night though so I really can’t complain but man if she could extend those naps we’d be thrilled.

Oh she also usually screams her head off prior to falling asleep. That sucks.
Same with my second. She just slept 1:15 and that was like top 5 naps. 10 months

Simple

Sexy Beatch
Nov 29, 2001
Edmonton, Alberta
Anybody else struggle with teeth brushing? Hard to get Camille to accept me brushing her teeth more than a few seconds. Her shits gonna rot out. Thankfully there’s always adult teeth :ugh:

Tiny Dancer

OT Supporter
May 6, 2016
Advice:

Do it together, but make the kid interested in how much fun you have while brushing your teeth. Play music, dance. Make ridiculous exaggerated faces showing how dramatically you brush your teeth. Kids are stupid and easily led.
Don't reserve toothbrushing for just morning and night. Do impromptu toothbrush parties in the bathroom.
Don't force her, but encourage her to participate. Show her all the fun she's missing in the bathroom. Let her just sit and watch for awhile.
If you have a partner at home, involve them by showing off how nice your teeth are and seek praise. Get a treat from partner for doing a great job.

The kid will see teeth brushing as safe and fun. Make sure kid witnesses all the positive things (praise, treats) that come from brushing teeth.

The do-it-cause-you-must/because-I-said-so parenting comes later once you can reason with them and they can trust your words.
- If she is somewhat reasonable "well if you don't brush your teeth you can't have candy. But if you do, you can!"
Until then, with a toddler, it's all about using all your patience and getting down to their level of understanding.

Godspeed.

Raimeiken

OT Supporter
Oct 19, 2002
ARIZONA
Help me OT, i think solids is where my wife and I finally are starting to feel like maybe we can't do this.

our boy is ~11 months old and we're really struggling to give him solids. He doesn't seem interested in food so we try every now and than and i think his lack of interest is probably from us not having him try to eat everyday. But how the hell do you manage this every night? Does every parent really vacuum, wipe, launder, and do bath time every day? Feeding him and us and clean up took ~2 hrs last night and we got lucky that we had leftover pizza we could just reheat for ourselves.

Album below to ask if this level of mess is normal:

Our two dogs mostly cleans up after them :o they like to camp out below them and wait for food to drop :rofl: but yeah it gets old having to wipe up the floor after every meal but that's life with kids :dunno:

Ron

OT Supporter
Sep 21, 2003
Anybody else struggle with teeth brushing? Hard to get Camille to accept me brushing her teeth more than a few seconds. Her shits gonna rot out. Thankfully there’s always adult teeth :ugh:
I sing my kid a song while I do it.

I started brushing his teeth as soon as his first ones popped up so I think it’s engrained in him now

If I skip it he starts yelling “teeth”

Try letting her do it?

8legs

8eyes
OT Supporter
Mar 16, 2008
Webbywebz
We do teamwork for tooth brushing. He gets to crawl up the step stool on his own, Dad is usually the one to give the "hug" and then I do the brushing. Getting it done amidst the bristle biting is a pain, but he's just trying to get the toothpaste. At the end I hand him the brush so he can practice. He's not good at it and mostly brushes his tongue.

I think having both of us there is what makes him excited for that time. When he has a fit or evades the task we just back off and are quiet. Progress and praise are contingent on him. He wants those things so it mostly works.

DasVWBabe

OT's Diamond and Gemstone Tutorial Creator
OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2002
Frisconia
We've thought that but all of our resources have told us he wouldn't have been ready months ago, 5-6 months is the right time

Exactly! Congrats!

I've heard often that when they're ready for these things it's easy peasy. When they're not, it feels like an uphill battle every day and they feed off of your low key stress over it.

Reactions: beddachedda

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman