CREW SRS The all inclusive parenting thread v. Exhaustion/suicidal thoughts/moments of happiness

Leonard Washington

OT Supporter
Aug 15, 2004
dazznOV.jpg

Kid LOVES ducks

Smeghead

Oct 6, 2006
Klingonlandia
We went to a community Halloween thing for kids. Met up with a friend who moved back to town. My kid seemed to really like their kids, and their youngest is only 2 months apart. All my mom friends who had kids about the same time had moved away so this is pretty great. Indoctrinated my kiddo in the fashion of trick-or-treat. He tried his first skittle and I shared a lollipop. Waiting to see what kind of monster he transforms into with candy exposure.
They become gremlins

• Wow
Reactions: 8legs

Ron

OT Supporter
Sep 21, 2003
We survived!

Dude was good, then the last 30 minutes right at the start of the descent he had a nuclear meltdown until we deplaned

Can’t really complain for the insanity leading up to that point

We almost missed our flight due to security/parking/nonsense

JacksonWhite

Apr 11, 2011
Good chance I will have to provide foster care and potentially adopt my niece, who is the same grade as my 2 year old daughter, but turned 3 recently.

She has had a shit upbringing so far, but I’m thinking it’s potentially a relatively easy transition.

Am I nuts in being optimistic? How rough of a transition would I be in for at that age?

• Support
Reactions: 8legs

Colt_Government

OT Supporter
Jun 18, 2010
wallaby island
Took the kids to school today

Older one - we want her to walk more, so we drop her one block from her school so she could work
Middle one - didn't want me to take her to school, because I was hurrying her along, mum had to drop off her to school
Youngest one - wouldn't let me go, balled her eyes out at preschool dropoff

Fun morning dropping the kids off

BStork

Suck My Beak From The Back™️
OT Supporter
Apr 28, 2007
My wife had an open house at her new space for her business today and it went SO well! I am so proud of the work she's doing and her ability to succeed. She's one of those people that gets an idea, visualizes and executes over and over. It's so amazing.

• Support
Reactions: DasVWBabe

Leah

OT Supporter
Dec 30, 2006
Oz
Small story time/brag if you will indulge me. My oldest is determined to try out for the volleyball team next year as an 8th grader. God love her, she does not have a naturally athletic bone in her body. When I first started doing sports stuff with her years ago, I made the decision to gently nudge her in other directions. Band. Theater. Photography, art, literally anything else. :rofl:

But this last summer she started getting really into volleyball so I was like…sigh, okay. We have practiced together almost every day since then, with her also practicing by herself or with others, combining for probably 10 hours of practice every week. She started out as completely hopeless and I cannot stress this enough. I was already imagining her disappointment and how down on herself she would be when she didn’t make the team. (Even the junior high teams here are full of athletic prodigies.) Maybe that is horrible of me…I can own that, not giving her enough credit.

Because through sheer will and work, all the practice, even watching TikToks and YouTube on technique and the rules of the game, this kid has turned it all around and goddamnit, she is good. The progress over the last month in particular has just skyrocketed and I am in awe. Could not be more proud of her, she’s amazing, that is all :wtc:

8legs

8eyes
OT Supporter
Mar 16, 2008
Webbywebz
The feeling of being impressed by your own kid is great. Being happy for them is a weird kind of double happiness - that nice "good for you" feeling, but then the self indulgent "I made that" feeling. I only have an almost 3 year old, but I imagine it only gets better as they grow and do more. @Leah - can you confirm?

• Support
Reactions: Leah

Leah

OT Supporter
Dec 30, 2006
Oz
The feeling of being impressed by your own kid is great. Being happy for them is a weird kind of double happiness - that nice "good for you" feeling, but then the self indulgent "I made that" feeling. I only have an almost 3 year old, but I imagine it only gets better as they grow and do more. @Leah - can you confirm?
Yes, it does. Especially when they do things like this, kind of in spite of you? :rofl: Like I certainly never discouraged her, “you suck, give up” or anything like that. In fact, one of my mantras with her is “You can do hard things” so I like to think between that and practicing with her I have contributed in some small way to this. But my lack of enthusiasm for her in sports has probably been apparent over the years, so this was all her. It’s not the first time she has surprised me, either. It’s a special, humbling feeling for sure.

fuct.

Pax sola in morte
OT Supporter
Nov 12, 2000
Howdy Arabia
Small story time/brag if you will indulge me. My oldest is determined to try out for the volleyball team next year as an 8th grader. God love her, she does not have a naturally athletic bone in her body. When I first started doing sports stuff with her years ago, I made the decision to gently nudge her in other directions. Band. Theater. Photography, art, literally anything else. :rofl:

But this last summer she started getting really into volleyball so I was like…sigh, okay. We have practiced together almost every day since then, with her also practicing by herself or with others, combining for probably 10 hours of practice every week. She started out as completely hopeless and I cannot stress this enough. I was already imagining her disappointment and how down on herself she would be when she didn’t make the team. (Even the junior high teams here are full of athletic prodigies.) Maybe that is horrible of me…I can own that, not giving her enough credit.

Because through sheer will and work, all the practice, even watching TikToks and YouTube on technique and the rules of the game, this kid has turned it all around and goddamnit, she is good. The progress over the last month in particular has just skyrocketed and I am in awe. Could not be more proud of her, she’s amazing, that is all :wtc:
this is exactly what happened with Gwen and softball.

She went from being a completely unathletic pud to arguably the best hitter on her team(s) and is now 100% all in on being the best catcher she can be.

I take her to the automatic cages and she's hitting 11/15 50mph balls at 9 years old...

IWIKMtk.jpeg

AuuG71G.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Leah

Jinx

forever sugarplum
Sep 25, 2005
Indianapolis, Indiana
what are we sending in for halloween parties? i volunteered for snacks (mini chip bags) and some sort of candy. kid asked for jolly ranchers, but i'm probably going to grab a good chunk of other stuff.

we can't do anything homemade or refrigerated/frozen :mad: i wanted to make worms and dirt :rofl:

Reactions: Colleen

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman