CREW SRS The all inclusive parenting thread v. Exhaustion/suicidal thoughts/moments of happiness

DasVWBabe

OT's Diamond and Gemstone Tutorial Creator
OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2002
Frisconia
Someone here posted the quote "One day your parents put you down and never picked you up again" a few months ago and I got all emotional about it but really took it to heart. Going to hold this kid anytime she wants me to. :hs:
I still pick her up but it's getting soooo hard. She's barely a foot shorter than me at this point. :wtc:

• Haha
Reactions: Sp33dealer

8legs

8eyes
OT Supporter
Mar 16, 2008
Webbywebz
I forgot about baby proofing the china cabinet. My child has developed an appreciation for the bumblebee teapot displayed therein. He does not yet know how or even that it does open. He taps the glass incessantly hoping to gain its attention. I should get some of that shatter proofing window film because that glass is thin and rattles.

• Support
Reactions: DasVWBabe

DasVWBabe

OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2002
Frisconia
I forgot about baby proofing the china cabinet. My child has developed an appreciation for the bumblebee teapot displayed therein. He does not yet know how or even that it does open. He taps the glass incessantly hoping to gain its attention. I should get some of that shatter proofing window film because that glass is thin and rattles.
Above all, please make sure it's anchored to the wall. :hug:

ETA: I'm also getting rid of my giant glass armoire and I am *sooooo happy* about it. It's really sturdy, but it's in the wayyyy and I can't wait to pack most of that stuff up and put it away or sell it. :bigthumb:

Reactions: 8legs

8legs

8eyes
OT Supporter
Mar 16, 2008
Webbywebz
Above all, please make sure it's anchored to the wall. :hug:

ETA: I'm also getting rid of my giant glass armoire and I am *sooooo happy* about it. It's really sturdy, but it's in the wayyyy and I can't wait to pack most of that stuff up and put it away or sell it. :bigthumb:
That's another good idea. I have larger things anchored but there is definitely more to address.

Pi Patel

No, that's not my name.
OT Supporter
Sep 4, 2004
Canada Eh!
My son is acting up now, whines and cries for a lot of things, and is being really really picky about how he wants things. Hair in his face? Whine and get angry, His toys don't stack up, whine and cry about it,
I don't give in, give him hugs, breathe with him and explain the situations in depth, but he's just sooo high maintence, He's 3.5 years old. Very kind kid otherwise, just becoming high maintenance/picky, has to have it his way, or cries a lot.

What's parents crew suggestions? He JUST started Montessori for his age in Sept, going part time 9-11:30am. Highly rated school, and he's doing well in there now.

• Support
Reactions: kwhitelaw

BStork

Suck My Beak From The Back™️
OT Supporter
Apr 28, 2007
My son is acting up now, whines and cries for a lot of things, and is being really really picky about how he wants things. Hair in his face? Whine and get angry, His toys don't stack up, whine and cry about it,
I don't give in, give him hugs, breathe with him and explain the situations in depth, but he's just sooo high maintence, He's 3.5 years old. Very kind kid otherwise, just becoming high maintenance/picky, has to have it his way, or cries a lot.

What's parents crew suggestions? He JUST started Montessori for his age in Sept, going part time 9-11:30am. Highly rated school, and he's doing well in there now.

IIRC, this is pretty natural. They all go through these types of phases.
They mellow out, but it's certainly difficult.

Reactions: steviebeast

beddachedda

life is uncertain. don't sip.
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
I just got the cheap plastic pieces you insert

This seems like a lot more work
Have been told those can become playthings pretty quick, we have another baby at our house with the nanny share so we're going scorched earth on all the safety things lol

DasVWBabe

OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2002
Frisconia

I have a tremendous amount of empathy. That age is so hard. :hug:
Keep him in Montessori for as long as you can, though. You won't regret it. We've had nothing but positive experiences with it and our kiddo is now in 2nd grade in our Montessori and we are so pleased with her progress.

Ron

OT Supporter
Sep 21, 2003

I have a 2 year old so very different situation but they don’t really learn boundaries/emotional regulation for quite a while

As parents we mostly need to be there as calm support to navigate their new big feelings

Reactions: beddachedda

8legs

8eyes
OT Supporter
Mar 16, 2008
Webbywebz
This podcast ep explains tantrums pretty well. It def helped us understand and strategize how to guide our little dude through.

Remy Bressant

40 big girls and a bottle
OT Supporter
Jul 24, 2015
SoCal

Mine all did this. Disengaging and ignoring when they behave like that kept it at bay until they grew out of it.

deadbeef

OT Supporter
Sep 5, 2020
I recently taught the 3 year old the concept of truth. Then the other day she went potty but I didn't hear the sink run...

"Did you wash your hands?"

"yes"

"Is that the truth?"

"i'll tell you the truth tomorrow"

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman