The all inclusive parenting thread v. Exhaustion/suicidal thoughts/moments of happiness

digital jello

i'll be jeans soon
OT Supporter
Mar 14, 2006
any tips for flying? we are flying with our 2 month old on Friday...at least its a direct flight from DC to SF
our flight was only 2.5 hours or so, but we had a headband with headphones in it and let her watch cartoons. brought plenty to keep her busy if she wasn't into that, but she was, so it was smooth sailing.

Reactions: kwhitelaw

Kafka

PaulGiamattiFan420
OT Supporter
Feb 16, 2007
America
So her true nature came out
Bro fr that’s how I feel rn. :rofl: I’m walking on eggshells. In her defense she is working like 12-13 hours a day albeit “at home” but it’s a lot on her. BUT NO she shouldn’t treat me like this still :mad:

Thanks guys I’m gonna tell her what’s up today next time she blows up.

We’re flying to CA at 3 pm weather permitting hopefully travel won’t make things worse

DasVWBabe

OT's Diamond and Gemstone Tutorial Creator
OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2002
Frisconia
Bro fr that’s how I feel rn. :rofl: I’m walking on eggshells. In her defense she is working like 12-13 hours a day albeit “at home” but it’s a lot on her. BUT NO she shouldn’t treat me like this still :mad:

We’re flying to CA at 3 pm weather permitting hopefully travel won’t make things worse
giphy.gif

But, for real. If this was unexpected, she's probably really ramped up the anxiety to 11. Adding the fear of the unknown aspect of a baby fucks everything up. It's not ok for her to treat you poorly, but you can always respond with something like "I'm here for you as your partner, but your words/reactions don't feel equivalent to the situation."

TS
TS
jaunt

jaunt

straight raw like a shamans feet
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Apache
My wife’s mom did 2 years. Weird as fuck. But she claims that’s the reason she’s never gotten the flu or COVID in her life.

Your posts kinda scare me. Like you’re REALLY into being a dad. Which is great for you but I don’t want my whole identity to be that. Is that bad?
My wife did 14 months, nothing weird about it at all, so much better for the child.

And no its not bad to have an identity outside of dad, i would highly recommend it.

Reactions: Kafka
TS
TS
jaunt

jaunt

Aug 7, 2006
Fort Apache
any tips for flying? we are flying with our 2 month old on Friday...at least its a direct flight from DC to SF
Have some toys? I think we flew with my son when he was like three months, they're super easy at that stage since they're basically just a blob.

Remy Bressant

d i l d e r
OT Supporter
Jul 24, 2015
SoCal
giphy.gif

But, for real. If this was unexpected, she's probably really ramped up the anxiety to 11. Adding the fear of the unknown aspect of a baby fucks everything up. It's not ok for her to treat you poorly, but you can always respond with something like "I'm here for you as your partner, but your words/reactions don't feel equivalent to the situation."
"Put away the crazy" is sufficient. @Kafka you need to draw a line in the sand and nip this behavior in the bud. Put on your man pants and wrangle your hen.
report back and let us know how it goes
:oopsie:

• Haha
  • Cool
Reactions: Jinx and Kafka

Faithless

щ(゚Д゚щ)
Feb 11, 2001
Houston, TX
Our 1 year old boy still relies on us to cradle him to sleep. He was breastfed up until a month ago. Now that we've weaned him, he sleeps through the night way better. Yet, he is still in the habit of needing us to physically hold him most of the time to actually fall asleep before putting him down.

I've thought about sleep training, but according to Dr. Gabor Maté, giving comfort and showing affection goes a long way, especially in their first few years. The thought of leaving him in the crib to cry through the night for a week+ is painful, not to mention exhausting for us. Has anyone had a similar experience or can offer advice?
You can still be close and loving while sleep training. It only takes 3 nights

Faithless

щ(゚Д゚щ)
Feb 11, 2001
Houston, TX
My wife did 14 months, nothing weird about it at all, so much better for the child.

And no its not bad to have an identity outside of dad, i would highly recommend it.

18 months with my oldest, only 6 months with my youngest.

I would have liked to go longer, but work schedule just really didn't cooperate

Reactions: jaunt

beddachedda

life is uncertain. don't sip.
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
Our 1 year old boy still relies on us to cradle him to sleep. He was breastfed up until a month ago. Now that we've weaned him, he sleeps through the night way better. Yet, he is still in the habit of needing us to physically hold him most of the time to actually fall asleep before putting him down.

I've thought about sleep training, but according to Dr. Gabor Maté, giving comfort and showing affection goes a long way, especially in their first few years. The thought of leaving him in the crib to cry through the night for a week+ is painful, not to mention exhausting for us. Has anyone had a similar experience or can offer advice?
The Sleep Lady's Good Night, Sleep Tight: Gentle Proven Solutions to Help Your Child Sleep Without Leaving Them to Cry it Out https://a.co/d/agHlP9G

Reactions: Axespeed

jeri534

OT Supporter
Jul 17, 2002
I thought the baby must be secured during take-off/landing in the car seat? we thought about BF him during takeoff but was advised he has to be in his seat

Reactions: Faithless
TS
TS
jaunt

jaunt

Aug 7, 2006
Fort Apache
I thought the baby must be secured during take-off/landing in the car seat? we thought about BF him during takeoff but was advised he has to be in his seat
Lol wut... the first three times we flew we just held him in our laps. We didnt pay for a seat for him until we had to due to age (2 i think.)

Reactions: Faithless

fuct.

Pax sola in morte
OT Supporter
Nov 12, 2000
Howdy Arabia

Protip:

throw him in the bed and wait it out. He'll fall asleep.

Reactions: jaunt

Colt_Government

OT Supporter
Jun 18, 2010
wallaby island

Telling her while she’s blowing up is like adding fuel to the fire

• Haha
Reactions: jaunt and Kafka

Kafka

PaulGiamattiFan420
OT Supporter
Feb 16, 2007
America
Good job... his wife probably killed him
Our flight got cancelled due to all the weather stuff. She’s pissed and it’s not directed at me thankfully for once. The big issue is her brother is flying from Canada into LA to meet us. And the plan was to pick him up from the LAX airport tomorrow. So things are weird now.

• Support
Reactions: Colleen

Colleen

Apr 3, 2002
🇨🇦
Our flight got cancelled due to all the weather stuff. She’s pissed and it’s not directed at me thankfully for once. The big issue is her brother is flying from Canada into LA to meet us. And the plan was to pick him up from the LAX airport tomorrow. So things are weird now.
There is lots of families In the same tough spot. Hope it all works out ...

Reactions: Kafka

Users who are viewing this thread

• About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
    OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
    Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
    Guests online
    Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    abdallahppp6