The all inclusive parenting thread v. Exhaustion/suicidal thoughts/moments of happiness

Sp33dealer

Bully Troll Crew
Aug 3, 2005
DFW
Hell is waiting in a school pickup line.
Is this a texas thing? I live next to a middle school and it is absurd how many people just sit in a long stupid line vs just having their kids get out of the car. Seems like every mom is driving their kid to school in their Tahoe/Yukon and choosing to just waste time

That is not how my schools were growing up

Sp33dealer

Bully Troll Crew
Aug 3, 2005
DFW
went out back to take a work call, had given the terror a small piece of lemon cake and left the rest on the island counter.. turn around and

Time to remove everything from the counters

Oh man pretty soon she’ll be opening and closing doors

TheBoyWonder

OT Supporter
Jun 7, 2006
The Jersey Shore
assuming any of you have interest/did this occasionally before kids; have you been able to take any solo-type buddy trips since having kids?

i've been invited the last 3 winters on ski trips that i've declined. obviously i'm not mad about it - i love hanging out and helping with the kids. frankly, not even sure my wife could handle my 2.5 year old and 8-month old solo for more than 1 night of me being away.

at any rate, is that sort of thing unreasonable? have you been essentially housebound unless going somewhere with the entire family?

Simple

Sexy Beatch
Nov 29, 2001
Edmonton, Alberta
assuming any of you have interest/did this occasionally before kids; have you been able to take any solo-type buddy trips since having kids?

i've been invited the last 3 winters on ski trips that i've declined. obviously i'm not mad about it - i love hanging out and helping with the kids. frankly, not even sure my wife could handle my 2.5 year old and 8-month old solo for more than 1 night of me being away.

at any rate, is that sort of thing unreasonable? have you been essentially housebound unless going somewhere with the entire family?
I went away on a guys ski trip, think it was 2 nights.

Gotta have that kind of stuff within reason

Reactions: TheBoyWonder

Ron

OT Supporter
Sep 21, 2003

My buddy has a 6 and 3 year old

His wife is sahm, he travels a ton for work like almost a month out of the year

They also have both sets of grandparents to help and both have siblings with similar aged kids so it’s a little easier when he leaves

Depends on the situation

I think with kids that young unless you have help from in-laws it’s unreasonable to have a lengthy solo trip

BStork

Suck My Beak From The Back™️
OT Supporter
Apr 28, 2007
My buddy has a 6 and 3 year old

His wife is sahm, he travels a ton for work like almost a month out of the year

They also have both sets of grandparents to help and both have siblings with similar aged kids so it’s a little easier when he leaves

Depends on the situation

I think with kids that young unless you have help from in-laws it’s unreasonable to have a lengthy solo trip

Having involved grandparents is so fucking good.

We have my mother in law. She is pretty awesome. I wish my dad and mom were able to be actively involved grandparents. It's heartbreaking, tbh.

• Support
Reactions: Kafka and DasVWBabe

BStork

OT Supporter
Apr 28, 2007

Nah. Wife and I have both done overnight trips away from the family, solo.

It's all about communication tbh.

Ron

OT Supporter
Sep 21, 2003
Having involved grandparents is so fucking good.

We have my mother in law. She is pretty awesome. I wish my dad and mom were able to be actively involved grandparents. It's heartbreaking, tbh.
My dad has seen my two year old twice his entire life and my mom has never met him or seen pictures

• Support
Reactions: BStork

BStork

OT Supporter
Apr 28, 2007
My dad has seen my two year old twice his entire life and my mom has never met him or seen pictures

I know that feel.

My kids don't even ask about my dad or mom anymore. We are no contact with my dad :hs:

• Support
Reactions: Ron

Sirius

Jul 11, 2007
Chicago

Having friends :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: Ron

GonadWarrior

May 11, 2001

Wasn't the entire point of staying in that geographical area to be near her family?

Reactions: Bob Sandvagene

beddachedda

life is uncertain. don't sip.
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
pikler triangle came in (baby 9 mo old)

dude already climbing on it :rofl: not gracefully, and fully supervised and supported, but goddamn dude is a quick learner for new things

he's not even fully crawling, still doing the army crawl, but HELL YEAH I'LL CLIMB UP THIS DEATH TRAP

• Haha
Reactions: BStork and Simple

BStork

OT Supporter
Apr 28, 2007

dude already climbing on it :rofl: not gracefully, and fully supervised and supported, but goddamn dude is a quick learner for new things

he's not even fully crawling, still doing the army crawl, but HELL YEAH I'LL CLIMB UP THIS DEATH TRAP

I fully believe kids learn so fast because they're don't know they're not indestructible yet.

Reactions: DasVWBabe

Sp33dealer

Bully Troll Crew
Aug 3, 2005
DFW

Setup help for her. You can’t decline these trips forever

DasVWBabe

OT's Diamond and Gemstone Tutorial Creator
OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2002
Frisconia

Is she going to get time away too? If you have back-up, now is the time to use it.

We haven't really ever traveled just with friends; we were always traveling together. But then my MIL had a stroke so he was leaving every other weekend for a few months and kiddo and I were home alone quite a lot.

I've had to be away for work, but it's gotten way too hard to balance our work schedules and kiddo's school, plus planned vacations with friends.

We're moving this summer to be near our family, and I can't wait! It's been too long without weekly interaction with my parents and I am starting to feel like the time is slipping away for it to be worthwhile time for both of them.

beddachedda

OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
Is she going to get time away too? If you have back-up, now is the time to use it.

We haven't really ever traveled just with friends; we were always traveling together. But then my MIL had a stroke so he was leaving every other weekend for a few months and kiddo and I were home alone quite a lot.

I've had to be away for work, but it's gotten way too hard to balance our work schedules and kiddo's school, plus planned vacations with friends.

We're moving this summer to be near our family, and I can't wait! It's been too long without weekly interaction with my parents and I am starting to feel like the time is slipping away for it to be worthwhile time for both of them.
REALLY feeling my parents aging and not being able to do the things i thought they would be able to. my dad has some pretty bad eye and back problems and hasn't even been able to hold our kid for most of his life unless he's sitting down

really apparent how quickly this stuff goes :hs:

• Support
Reactions: DasVWBabe

DasVWBabe

OT's Diamond and Gemstone Tutorial Creator
OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2002
Frisconia
REALLY feeling my parents aging and not being able to do the things i thought they would be able to. my dad has some pretty bad eye and back problems and hasn't even been able to hold our kid for most of his life unless he's sitting down

really apparent how quickly this stuff goes :hs:
Awww, bless your heart. I feel it, too. :hug::

My dad fell while snow shoveling last New Years Eve and needed surgery. My Mom's been doing it all (we were there to help thankfully this time) and her cognitive function and health issues are going downhill. I feel like my Dad is a ticking time bomb with an aortic aneurism, esophageal issues due to hiatal hernia, and he's had a-fib attacks since he was 40. I just want to be able to take care of them as they age. I wasn't super close to my grandparents since we lived 10 hours away while I was growing up.

TheBoyWonder

OT Supporter
Jun 7, 2006
The Jersey Shore

her parents watch the kids 9-3 M-F so we both feel bad asking for anything more

Relax Preppy

OT Supporter
May 22, 2003
Richmond, VA

Link? About to get one for my soon to be 6mo old

beddachedda

OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
Lily and river is the gold standard, but absurdly expensive. This one is great

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abdallahppp6