ART The amount of annoying, petty faggotry on OTAP surprises me

heebdawg16

Feb 11, 2006
Maryland
I mean, it's only maybe 1/3rd of the level of the main forum, but I am still surprised at how much of it there is.

For a bunch of hobbyists, semi-professionals, and professionals, you guys sure do make it about as difficult as possible for any beginner reading these forums to get any feeling of welcomeness. I'm thinking because the OTAP crew is so small, you've just gotten used to a certain level of understanding, and anything below that level just seems laughable at this point.

For example, in my own situation, I know I did what many of you guys considered over-researching, mixed with a bit of flip-flopping, and yeah, I'm sure it was laughably entertaining for a little bit, ha ha, get it out of your system. But past that point, I actually feel like the idea of asking a single question at this point is so annoying due to the 1,000 worthless sarcastic answers I'll get before I get a real one, that it isn't even worth doing so.

I'm sure atleast a few of you are familiar with my posting in the main forum, and know that I'm often about as big of a troll as one could be on these forums. And even still, I find the annoying, petty trolling that goes on in here to be completely offputting, so I can't imagine how others who despise all trolling must feel.

Just food for thought. Flame away if you want, but when you are doing more to crush peoples interest in this hobby than help it, you're probably taking it too far. Let the trolling commence.

Girth

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
OT Supporter
Jun 28, 2002
Houston
its not hard to figure out who knows what they're talking about here. Here's the rules of OTAP

1. take pics
2. post pics
3. take criticism
4. learn from your mistakes
5. improve
6. go back to no. 1

It really is that simple.

I was one of those people about 4 years ago who had no idea wtf I was doing... go search my posts, they're still there.

granted all the sarcasm is there, but you came in, made threads, posts, talk... and very little pics (that I've noticed). If you can take the major trolling in the main forum, the trolling here shouldn't be hard to take at all. The problem you're running into is that you're new to a hobby and you don't want to put up a picture to show your inexperience. The main forum is all talk... here, you have to back up your talk.

I still don't know wtf I'm talking about on a bunch of subjects, but most of us try to improve... and we have. I've made more friends here and learned so much here that I honestly don't feel like I need to go to any other "photography" forum to learn anything. Just browse.

Don't let this place run you off. follow the rules, put your big boy pants on, and take the criticism like a man. You'll learn real quick who knows WTF they're talking about and who doesn't.

Its not that hard, bro. :naughty:

Danno

Bronx Poodle
OT Supporter
May 22, 2003
Indiana
i like the above advice, take and post pics....i don't even have a nice SLR camera, still enjoy reading and learning stuff and looking at other peoples pics.:dunno:

Girth

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
OT Supporter
Jun 28, 2002
Houston
i like the above advice, take and post pics....i don't even have a nice SLR camera, still enjoy reading and learning stuff and looking at other peoples pics.:dunno:

you honestly take some sick shots w/ a P&S. I'd hate to see you w/ a DSLR. :bowdown:

TS
TS
heebdawg16

heebdawg16

Feb 11, 2006
Maryland
its not hard to figure out who knows what they're talking about here. Here's the rules of OTAP

1. take pics
2. post pics
3. take criticism
5. improve
6. go back to no. 1

I was one of those people about 4 years ago who had no idea wtf I was doing... go search my posts, they're still there.

granted all the sarcasm is there, but you came in, made threads, posts, talk... and very little pics (that I've noticed). If you can take the major trolling in the main forum, the trolling here shouldn't be hard to take at all. The problem you're running into is that you're new to a hobby and you don't want to put up a picture to show your inexperience. The main forum is all talk... here, you have to back up your talk.

I still don't know wtf I'm talking about on a bunch of subjects, but most of us try to improve... and we have. I've made more friends here and learned so much here that I honestly don't feel like I need to go to any other "photography" forum to learn anything. Just browse.

Don't let this place run you off. follow the rules, put your big boy pants on, and take the criticism like a man. You'll learn real quick who knows WTF they're talking about and who doesn't.

Like I said......I can troll and be trolled, with no issue, in the main forum. All I am saying is that it isn't what I expected at all in here.

I already am forming a pretty strong opinion about who on OTAP seems like they would be a good resource to learn from, and who isn't. I'm just surprised by how absolutely useless some people on here are, who clearly take pictures that I find to be fantastic (based on my opinion, which is obviously low on the technical side, but I still know what I enjoy seeing and what I am impressed by).

The whole "go out and take pictures" thing hasn't really worked for me the past two weeks, because I've either been ultra busy every day I've been off work, or else (more likely) it has fucking rained almost every single day in central MD over the past two weeks. Getting on my nerves. I want to go out and try my Tammy 17-50 outdoors, because I apparently have a dimly lit house and every shot I take inside needs to be bumped up to like ISO 1600 to get the shutter speed above 1/50th even at F/2.8.

jigelow

Dec 16, 2010
This is what I did the first month here, which as you can tell wasn't that long ago. I read all I could, contributed where I thought I could have input, and heeded advice when it came. People are giving you shot simply based on your waffling and worrying. Nothing else.

MSIGuy

om nom nom nom!
May 30, 2005
Aww... :hug:

It'll be okay. If you like main I think you'll be alright with the little amount of ribbing you'll get in OTAP, you just need to get used to us.

Danno

Bronx Poodle
OT Supporter
May 22, 2003
Indiana
you honestly take some sick shots w/ a P&S. I'd hate to see you w/ a DSLR. :bowdown:

:h5:

it can still be a bit intimidating, especially for someone new dropping a good amount of cash on equipment to come on here and post pics.

i don't post a lot of what i take on here simply because it's no where near the quality you'll find from those of you on here that have nice equipment and know how to use it.:o

Girth

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
OT Supporter
Jun 28, 2002
Houston
Like I said......I can troll and be trolled, with no issue, in the main forum. All I am saying is that it isn't what I expected at all in here.

I already am forming a pretty strong opinion about who on OTAP seems like they would be a good resource to learn from, and who isn't. I'm just surprised by how absolutely useless some people on here are, who clearly take pictures that I find to be fantastic (based on my opinion, which is obviously low on the technical side, but I still know what I enjoy seeing and what I am impressed by).

The whole "go out and take pictures" thing hasn't really worked for me the past two weeks, because I've either been ultra busy every day I've been off work, or else (more likely) it has fucking rained almost every single day in central MD over the past two weeks. Getting on my nerves. I want to go out and try my Tammy 17-50 outdoors, because I apparently have a dimly lit house and every shot I take inside needs to be bumped up to like ISO 1600 to get the shutter speed above 1/50th even at F/2.8.

you honestly won't have to go anywhere to take pics of anything. take pics of your pet, kid, gf, parents, flowers in the backyard, whatever. If it helps you improve, then at the end of the day... its all worth it. :dunno:

You'll def. get the "lol flower pic" or "wtf is that" trolling, but you'll also get the technical help you'll need. eventually. best part about OTAP is, you don't have to sift through 20 posts to get good advice... it only takes 5-10 posts.

Waddup you?

OT Supporter
Aug 1, 2002
Sandy Eggo
:h5:

it can still be a bit intimidating, especially for someone new dropping a good amount of cash on equipment to come on here and post pics.

i don't post a lot of what i take on here simply because it's no where near the quality you'll find from those of you on here that have nice equipment and know how to use it.:o

its not all about the nice equipment, but the end product.

ASIGN_Baz

Apr 26, 2009
Australia
I'd rather take the brutal honesty than the dick fluffing you would get at POTN.

ABSOLUTELY.

You guys have taught me more here with your honest critique than all the "Great shot" throwaway lines I get elsewhere. Not that I mind praise, especially when I am improving, it's just that there are a few top notch people around the forums who really do look at my pics with a critical eye, say so, then I build on it.

Much appreciated you blokes!

Baz.

smaug

born to lose
Nov 9, 2001
Hamilton, Bermuda
its the fact that you haven't even taken the time to read the manual on your camera.

you haven't read any of the stickies.

in this hobby you need to invest ALOT, especially alot of time.

We can't do it for you, you need to do it for yourself.

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006

That isn't trolling.. it's actual good advice. I remember that I said it - and I'm sure you understand why. Your camera/lens/whatever will be so much better outdoors. Worrying about crops from blurry, grainy indoor images at 1/30 is totally different to shooting f8 at 1/200 iso100

Besides, there isn't a rush. When you *do* get to go out and spend some time taking pics, make a thread and ask for C&C then. Don't feel you HAVE to post something all the time.

Wobistdu

dude you bought shit then immediately returned it in some sort of panic/anxiety attack

what do you expect? :rofl:

YourMomOnRyeBun

Sep 6, 2006
Houston, TX

1. take pics
2. post pics
3. take criticism
5. improve
6. go back to no. 1

I'd rather take the brutal honesty than the dick fluffing you would get at POTN.

These are valid points for somone who is ALREADY taking pictures/owns equipment. But what about the shit given to people that looking to get into the hobby? Those who ask the "what's the best camera" questions? Yes, I know those have to be annoying. I'm annoyed by them and I'm just getting started with all of this. Perhaps some of this could be avoided by adding to the sticky section? Or just have a sub-forums added called "noobs start here" so the rest of OTAP don't have to stumble over the dozens of stickied posts.

Don't take THIS post the wrong way...I'm not complaining. Just giving some "c&c" to the forum I guess. I've learned who is helpful and who isn't in here... For the rest of the people who seemed annoyed by "noob questions", why do you even open the thread? I agree that the bullshit should be kept in the main. That's what you expect when you go in there. But this place should be more constructive. Sure, the occasional joke or jab is funny...I still have a sense of humor. But when you post something and all you get is sarcasm, it can run some people off. Who knows how many potential valued contributors have NOT posted in here because of what they saw?

Girth

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
OT Supporter
Jun 28, 2002
Houston
These are valid points for somone who is ALREADY taking pictures/owns equipment. But what about the shit given to people that looking to get into the hobby? Those who ask the "what's the best camera" questions? Yes, I know those have to be annoying. I'm annoyed by them and I'm just getting started with all of this. Perhaps some of this could be avoided by adding to the sticky section? Or just have a sub-forums added called "noobs start here" so the rest of OTAP don't have to stumble over the dozens of stickied posts.

Don't take THIS post the wrong way...I'm not complaining. Just giving some "c&c" to the forum I guess. I've learned who is helpful and who isn't in here... For the rest of the people who seemed annoyed by "noob questions", why do you even open the thread? I agree that the bullshit should be kept in the main. That's what you expect when you go in there. But this place should be more constructive. Sure, the occasional joke or jab is funny...I still have a sense of humor. But when you post something and all you get is sarcasm, it can run some people off. Who knows how many potential valued contributors have NOT posted in here because of what they saw?

there's always this. :dunno:

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=4691648

If people don't post here because they're intimidated, then they probably don't belong on OT. this place is not as bad as everyone is making it sound. if you want to buy a camera, you post asking, people give their opinion, then you make a decision. some might troll, some might not. if you've been on OT for any given amount of time, you should be able to distinguish between the trolls and normal people. you're more than welcome to post "what should I buy" in the main forum too... most of us are there.

again, its not hard to figure out who's who around here and who knows wtf they're talking about. most will help, but don't get mad because they're telling you what they honestly think.

jared_IRL

OT Supporter
Feb 12, 2006

we give people honest advice. Then we troll them when then ignore our advice and do some dumb shit.

But this forum isn't here to give people an easy out from doing their own research and making their own informed decision...

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448