The Foam Rolling Knee, Back, Hips, Shoulder Pain thread

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition Archives' started by fatmoocow, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Colleen

Colleen Active Member

2. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

3. Colleen

Colleen Active Member

Ya im sure its to do with running, and no I havnt d/l It.

4. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

No way to tell without watching you, but I'd guess there's some knee valgus going on.

5. Colleen

Colleen Active Member

me? what? No, Ive never had knee problems before in my life.. ive done something to it while working out or running.

6. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

did you google knee valgus?

[​IMG]

7. Colleen

Colleen Active Member

yeap, its nothing like that though. Im actually starting to feel better just from RICEing it. I went to the gym last night and did my upper body and I felt good when I got home.:)

8. Bacchus

Bacchus Skinny Guy

Ceaze: Any suggestions on exercises that isolate the lower lat? I've been doing the Reach, Roll & lift - but that can't be loaded.

ideas?

9. Bacchus

Bacchus Skinny Guy

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  10. fatcow

fatcow OT Supporter

so you bros highly recommend doing the full Cressey foam rolling/tennis ball routine before every workout? i've never done it and i'm just recently researching it

looks like it "feels good, man" though :bowdown:

11. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

Takes like 5 mins once you get it down, I always hop onto the foam roller before a workout. And occasionally during one too.

12. fatcow

fatcow OT Supporter

tried it out today, felt pretty good actually. though the tennis ball glute roll was painful.

13. JosephRawr

JosephRawr New Member

I tried doing some supine bridges but I can't seem to feel the squeeze in the glutes, I feel more pain in the hamstrings. How can I prevent this? Or how can I slowly build to proper form?

14. Bacchus

Bacchus Skinny Guy

I'm worried that what I thought to have been tightness in the tendons of my lats may be a rotator cuff/shoulder issue from benching.

It doesn't hurt when i bench though, but i've been feeling discomfort there during the day and am constantly stretching.

it seemed to have gone away when i cut out the pulldowns, but has come back pretty quickly.

hrmm :\

15. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Finally got around to buying a tennis ball.

I've been using a racquet ball which was just too soft.

I have SI Joint Dysfunction so I've been getting a lot of inflammation and tightness in my surrounding muscles of the lower back, hip, and glute. And because of the horrid sciatica I also get tons of tightness and in the quads and calves.

Rolled everything out with a tennis ball today and it really loosened up my back a lot. I felt much more mobile after a good 10min session. Didn't do much for the sciatica but I figured it wouldn't. Maybe some detailed piriformis rolling will help. I don't expect the rolling to fix the pinched nerve but maybe loosening up everything will knock the pain down a few notches.

I guess the next step is to buy a foam roller for my quads and piriformis.

Should I just order one for $20 off of elitefts or can I get one at Dick's or Sports Authority for the same price?

Also, been using the Claire Davis book that Elfing was talking about and shows pretty well how to do everything. I'd recommend it for anyone that's just getting into this.

16. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

The tennis ball works better for the piriformis. Foam roller is too broad.

[y]HWfnAUsYUTI[/y]

17. Lukkie

Lukkie OT Supporter

all this shit has helped me out quite a bit in daily life. now when i walk for instance, it feels like im pushing back with my butt and hamstrings which i never felt before, instead of just pulling my legs forward. i also stand more upright, almost like a normal homo sapiens :bowdown:

18. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

My nigga.

That also answers my question about whether or not I should roll after getting out of a hot shower (seems I should).

So I even need a roller? What is your best recommendation for calves too? My right calve is always fucking tensing up and knotting up on me from the sciatica pain.

19. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

That's one of the things my PT said I need to work on.

He said that when I walk and I plant a foot and then go to push off I am using almost entirely my quad and then using my hip flexors to pull the rest of my leg. Apparently I am supposed to be using my glutes and hip abductors a lot more.

20. Lukkie

Lukkie OT Supporter

:werd: it definitely feels much better walking this way. I walk like 1-3 miles every day so it helps a ton. not sure if it was the ab work ive been doing (no more situps/crunches, just planks and the stuff ceaze is always yapping about), stretching (mainly hip flexors - i do like 5 minutes of hip flexor stretching almost every night, + foam rolling), or strengthening glutes (learning to activate them, improving deadlift form to use more glutes, etc). Probably a combination of the above.

21. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Yep, same here.

PT said he'll shoot me if he finds out I start doing crunches again :noes:

Just being doing the planks and leg holds, etc...

My PT seems kinda "iffy" on hanging leg raises. They were a staple in my old ab routine and really helped transform my front ab strength... but he said while they're not necessarily good for the back people tend to swing and use a lot of their hip flexors on it and this can help create an imbalance if done often.

He said if I must do them try to do them with a workout partner and have them hold my core in place to prevent any swinging whatsoever.

22. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

So I did a few sessions of tennis ball rolling yesterday and today my back is really sore. It's a different kind of sore than my typical SI joint back pain though (it's in addition to that). Feel almost like a deep bruise right around my S1 right side. It actually hurts to the touch and protrudes a bit. Is it possible I over-did the rolling in this area and bruised it?

23. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

yeah i've done that before, i really ground my glute into a baseball and the next day it felt like i had a tumor in my glute.

24. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Cool, that must be what it is then.

I may have over-done it for my first time.

I rolled and stretched the fuck out of my right calve as well (where I get some of my sciatica pain) and it feels like I did 500 calve raises... shit is sooooooooore.

25. Bacchus

Bacchus Skinny Guy

been using the tennis ball on my piriformis for months. moving up to the lacrosse ball soon though. not feeling it much anymore