FIT The last decade was about gluttony...Will this decade be different?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jebus

Speaking as a former Fatty I can tell you that from 2000-2010 it was a decade of gluttony. we all saw obesity skyrocket, fast food explode, along with people's waistlines.

as 2010 grew to a close I saw a change in myself, and over the last 15 months I have dropped 150lbs. But I see more people shopping healthier, more people asking how to change the food they eat. is this happening to a grander scale? or is it just happening in my eyes because I made the life changing event?

I always said that my goal wasn't just to lose weight and be healthier, but to change the lives of those around me and the way they eat. my sisters have dropped a lot of weight, my father is running a half marathon at 59, and my mother is getting into a much healthier range as well. and all of this started after I made the change as well.

I see the next decade being about a better lifestyle. anyone else?

I am 31, maybe it's my age group as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

strubbe

Jun 5, 2003
Dayton, OH
:run: Serious thread in FN?

I think it's a fad/trend. Our society as a whole is lazy. My generation (I'm 24) feels entitled, and not to paint us all with a broad brush and stereotype, but I don't think the majority of us have the work ethic of prior generations. Most of us (society) want the beach body year round, but few have the determination to go through and stick with a good diet/routine.

Hell, you see it pretty frequently on this forum with people coming in asking questions about lifting/dieting, only to disappear into grease driven gluttony in a matter of weeks, never to be heard from again. :dunno:

You might see people shopping healthier and asking how to change the food they eat, but what percentage of them are making the effort after reading some dumbass article in Maxim/Cosmo, and what percentage are actually going to go through with making a lifestyle change?

TS
TS

Jebus

society as a whole will continue getting fatter
you don't see a changing trend? Or do you think we will all end up in wheel chairs starring off into nothing and watching TVs and getting fatter?

jehan60188

May 25, 2006
that's awesome that you inspired those around you, but I think it's just that you're more aware of the existence of a "fitness oriented subculture"

TS
TS

Jebus

As I go to work, and meet my clients, and meet people who don't know me, I run into more and more over the year that aren't just starting up, but stick to a weight loss plan, or a healthier lifestyle. or they are stepping down the hours at the office to be at home more and spend time with the family and make some dinners.

I see this in people I don't even know, so I believe it is the next movement, the trend has been going on for the last year of pushing healthier items to market, eating better and a better lifestyle will make a comeback this decade IMO.

Uglybob69

I miss beer.
Sep 17, 2006
Cincinnati, OH
I see people continuing to get fatter, especially as our culture pushes acceptance of fat people instead of seeing them as disease that needs attention

Biggins

Apr 13, 2010
You must live in a nicer place than me because I see more and more 200 lb women every day, especially young girls. Really starting to freak me out tbh, how can a woman let herself get like that when in reality her success has a lot to do with how well she takes care of herself. I'm 6'4" 230 and they are 5'4" 200... does not compute

Biggins

Apr 13, 2010
I think it's the case of:

2009 Jebus spent most of his time at the grocery store in the cookie, candy, pop, and chips aisles.

2010 Jebus spent most of his time at the grocery store in the produce section.

Gee, I wonder why you saw more people shopping health consciously?

TS
TS

Jebus

2010 Jebus spent most of his time at the grocery store in the produce section.

Gee, I wonder why you saw more people shopping health consciously?
You would be wrong, I always shopped in the healthy section, my problem was helping size. like sure a serving of this is good for you, but 6 of them is no good.

grimstone

magic murda bag
OT Supporter
Sep 28, 2004
atx
You would be wrong, I always shopped in the healthy section, my problem was helping size. like sure a serving of this is good for you, but 6 of them is no good.
ya like you got fat over eating green beans

synthetic

Apr 9, 2002
San Diego, CA
that's awesome that you inspired those around you, but I think it's just that you're more aware of the existence of a "fitness oriented subculture"

this for now....

but im glad there are shows ike dr Oz, simplifying things for people

We will always be at war with a greedy food industry, which is something like drugs

they sell you a drug that doesnt cure you, but you need to survive

food industry sells your something that makes you crave their product more.

Look what happened with salmon... people where informed that red meat loaded with hormones and processed is not healthy, so they went to salmon. The food industry, to satisfy demand ends up farming salmon and loading them up with hormones and poor feed.

jehan60188

May 25, 2006
this for now....

but im glad there are shows ike dr Oz, simplifying things for people

We will always be at war with a greedy food industry, which is something like drugs

they sell you a drug that doesnt cure you, but you need to survive

food industry sells your something that makes you crave their product more.

Look what happened with salmon... people where informed that red meat loaded with hormones and processed is not healthy, so they went to salmon. The food industry, to satisfy demand ends up farming salmon and loading them up with hormones and poor feed.

this. capitalism is the worst thing that's happened to food since agriculture

Memor

Jun 22, 2006
NYC
The trend, if anything, is continually getting worse. Which is funny, because there's more information, more TV shows, more programs, more facilities for being healthy and losing weight - but as a whole, our country is getting fatter and fatter. Every time I visit family in France, I laugh when I get there. Most of the cooking is based on butter, cream, and heavier ingredients - but everyone is skinny there. They don't obsess over gyms and Weight Watchers and celebrity diets. They don't eat healthier ingredients. The US is just excessive in every possible way.

synthetic

Apr 9, 2002
San Diego, CA
The trend, if anything, is continually getting worse. Which is funny, because there's more information, more TV shows, more programs, more facilities for being healthy and losing weight - but as a whole, our country is getting fatter and fatter. Every time I visit family in France, I laugh when I get there. Most of the cooking is based on butter, cream, and heavier ingredients - but everyone is skinny there. They don't obsess over gyms and Weight Watchers and celebrity diets. They don't eat healthier ingredients. The US is just excessive in every possible way.

well it doesnt help tha bodybuilding mags, and people like you, twolf, bragging about how you eat, when they are no where near your training-metabolism.

so some kids down the McDs wondering why they dont have a 6 pack or deadlift 600..i fell into this illusion.. didnt see results and took roids and the results were still shitty.. a hard lesson learned, and i dont wish anyone to follow my former foot steps

Dunken

Welcome to the team.
Dec 24, 2001
Tempe, AZ
"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but aint nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight!"

I dont think this will ever change. Most people really just wanna be fat.

smb is me

May 21, 2008
I think we see more people trying to be healthy and lose weight b/c more and more people are getting fat to begin with. I think in 10 years from now we see EVEN MORE fat people and thus EVEN MORE people "trying to get healthy."

its kinda like if 85% of america decided to do meth this decade, and then at the end of the decade you said: good news guys, i've noticed that there are sooo many more people trying to get clean from meth than ever before!!!

TS
TS

Jebus

ya like you got fat over eating green beans
with a crap load of butter and garlic with a dish of "organic" mac and cheese, or rather a whole box of it, yeah fuck face, I did.

You don't have the "healthy" section for "organic" shit in your grocery store? I remember shopping there for years thinking I was doing the right thing by eating out of there. but then I ate a whole box or 5x the serving I should have. because if it's organic it's healthy :nowrofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor