GAME The OFFICIAL Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild playthrough thread (GAME OF THE YEAR).

Highlander_77

Madre de Dios! Es el Pollo Diablo!!!
Dec 7, 2000
New England
Gamecube was the last great Nintendo console. I haven't played a Nintendo game I like more than Metroid Prime since it released.

Up until the Switch, yes. The Wii, in spite of its financial success, and a few STELLAR games, was a pretty weak system overall. Wii U obviously stumbled out of the gate and never recovered. The Switch seems to be on the right track though.

Highlander_77

Dec 7, 2000
New England
But here's the other thing, the game isn't even FINISHED yet. How can even be discussed as a potential GOTY candidate when it's still in early access? :hsugh:

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
I'm not really much of a fan of competitive first-person shooters. And it doesn't look like it does anything that would suddenly make me love the genre.

It's incredibly intense and engrossing. It's hard to explain, much better to just experience it.

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
But here's the other thing, the game isn't even FINISHED yet. How can even be discussed as a potential GOTY candidate when it's still in early access? :hsugh:

Supposedly the full release is still set for this month so that will be moot if it happens. Otherwise, it's complete enough for me. Mostly just needs some bug fixes and stronger anti-cheating measures.

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
What does it do, in terms of mechanics or design, that hasn't been done before? What does it do that's better than any other game in its genre?

It is it's own genre, the only other games in the genre are blatant clones as well as PlayerUnknown's previous works which were mods / alternate modes for Arma 2 and H1Z1. Think a playable version of the Hunger Games, or the Japanese novel / film Battle Royale. You loot a set of armor, healing items, weapons and mods and just try to survive to the end in a giant map which forces you to play in a smaller and smaller area as time progresses.

I've never played another game even close to being like it. It's a game where I might spend 10 minutes without even seeing another player and it's still incredibly tense and engrossing. Even better, if you die, you don't have to just spectate or waste any time, there's such a huge playerbase that you'll find a new game within a second. Getting a good set of gear together and then hiding in a building in the blue circle and being forced to relocate because you're not in the circle anymore makes my pits super sweaty. It's only $30, if you have a good PC I would definitely recommend it. Winning is more based on solid strategic thinking and map knowledge than it is being better at aiming.

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
Look, I LOVE fighting games. But I'm not gonna sit here and say Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite should be game of the year because I love playing it.

That's just one game in a style that's been well defined for decades. It's not an innovative game changer like PUBG. Just like Halo 2, we'll look back and view multiplayer shooters as before PUBG and after PUBG. It's not a fad. It's a paradigm shift. It might go down as being the most important game of the decade, honestly.

Janson

OT Supporter
Mar 13, 2003
Davidson, NC
That's just one game in a style that's been well defined for decades. It's not an innovative game changer like PUBG. Just like Halo 2, we'll look back and view multiplayer shooters as before PUBG and after PUBG. It's not a fad. It's a paradigm shift. It might go down as being the most important game of the decade, honestly.
:ugh:

Highlander_77

Dec 7, 2000
New England
It is it's own genre, the only other games in the genre are blatant clones as well as PlayerUnknown's previous works which were mods / alternate modes for Arma 2 and H1Z1. Think a playable version of the Hunger Games, or the Japanese novel / film Battle Royale. You loot a set of armor, healing items, weapons and mods and just try to survive to the end in a giant map which forces you to play in a smaller and smaller area as time progresses.

I've never played another game even close to being like it. It's a game where I might spend 10 minutes without even seeing another player and it's still incredibly tense and engrossing. Even better, if you die, you don't have to just spectate or waste any time, there's such a huge playerbase that you'll find a new game within a second. Getting a good set of gear together and then hiding in a building in the blue circle and being forced to relocate because you're not in the circle anymore makes my pits super sweaty. It's only $30, if you have a good PC I would definitely recommend it. Winning is more based on solid strategic thinking and map knowledge than it is being better at aiming.

The whole "battle royale" thing doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. I don't think you and I play videogames for the same reason. The only competitive multiplayer game I've really gotten into is Heroes of the Storm, and that's considered pretty casual in the MOBA genre. But it wasn't even the competitive aspect that hooked me on that game, it was the fun, and the variety of different characters and playstyles (plus the appeal of playing as all of the characters from Blizzard's other games).

It looks like PUBG's concept taps into something that really appeals to a certain subset of gamers, but it doesn't even sound like it's anything to do with the game itself being well-crafted or designed. I mean, it only has like a 60% positive review ratio on Steam. :o

Last edited:

Janson

OT Supporter
Mar 13, 2003
Davidson, NC
hey, @Sphygmo is your bro paid by PUBG? or is he dating someone on the development team? only way I can see why anyone would have this much of a hard on for a game.

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
hey, @Sphygmo is your bro paid by PUBG? or is he dating someone on the development team? only way I can see why anyone would have this much of a hard on for a game.
i have no idea on that one lol

he's never chatted about that game w/ me

i'm a poverty ass console gamer only tho

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
It's not on PS4 so I haven't talked about it that much, I did show it to you and VCM when he was over though. It's not a good game to show people though. I try to avoid any combat so I typically pick far out locations to loot so all you'd see me do is run around and hide a lot and loot stuff and then probably get sniped and die and try again.

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
The whole "battle royale" thing doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. I don't you and I play videogames for the same reason. The only competitive multiplayer game I've really gotten into is Heroes of the Storm, and that's considered pretty casual in the MOBA genre. But it wasn't even the competitive aspect that hooked me on that game, it was the fun, and the variety of different characters and playstyles (plus the appeal of playing as all of the characters from Blizzard's other games).

It looks like PUBG's concept taps into something that really appeals to a certain subset of gamers, but it doesn't even sound like it's anything to do with the game itself being well-crafted or designed. I mean, it only has like a 60% positive review ratio on Steam. :o

Yeah PUBG is way, way too popular for steam user reviews. You can't trust popular things when it comes to user reviews, Steam or metacritic or otherwise. An amazing game like Diablo 3 will have a 4.0 user review on Metacritic because it's popular while a subpar imitation like Torchlight has an 8.0 even though Diablo 3 is probably 100x better, just because of popularity and the hipster effect.

I am definitely more into multiplayer gaming than anything else. I started playing online games with Command & Conquer: Red Alert in the mid to late 90s and I've been online gaming since. Overwatch and Starcraft 2 are easily my top 2 games of the 2010s.

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
It's not on PS4 so I haven't talked about it that much, I did show it to you and VCM when he was over though. It's not a good game to show people though. I try to avoid any combat so I typically pick far out locations to loot so all you'd see me do is run around and hide a lot and loot stuff and then probably get sniped and die and try again.
oh yeah i remember that now

sounds kinda lame tbqh

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
oh yeah i remember that now

sounds kinda lame tbqh

Just imagine being in the Battle Royale movie and trying to stay alive, if that sounds fun then you'd like it. If not, you wouldn't. There's a reason it's the best selling game of the year though. It's already the 31st best selling game of all time and it's still in Early Access. In a couple months it will have officially outsold the best sellling Call of Duty game, making it the best selling shooter.

firemunki

I am the patron saint of lost causes
Aug 23, 2001
Scottsdale
I started playing BOTW again this weekend after probably only putting 10 hours into it when it first launched (not sure, I have like 5 hearts?) . Game is definitely great, and I'm going to try to actually commit to finishing it. The game is innovative, polished, and everything you'd expect from the Zelda franchise/Nintendo. I think my biggest gripe with the game is weapon durability -- I hated it at launch and learned to re-hate it again this weekend.

PUBG is a totally different beast. I probably have ~200 hours in game, and while at the moment I'm currently burned out on it, the battle royale aspect is fun as hell. While I understand that PUBG currently has all the stats on Steam and Twitch, it's a totally unpolished game. The game is filled with ridiculous bugs, rampant cheaters, and is an absolute lag-fest the first minute or two after landing. With that said, I don't expect a perfect game from something that is in early access -- I also don't expect an early access game to win GOTY.

FWIW, the Culling was a BR game (non-mod) that came out before PUBG -- PUBG was just the first to get WIDE adoption.

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
There's a lot of things I didn't like about BotW, but performance is a big one. Absolutely the worst performing console game I've seen since Bloodborne. I played it on the WiiU though. Unforgivably low resolution and frame rate with constant dips. I wasn't big on the climbing, too tedious and cumbersome. Weapon durability is awful as well. Didn't like how there's very little reason to kill enemies so the best option in most situations is to just run past them. I wanted more dungeons and much bigger dungeons, the shrines are not a good replacement for dungeons.

It's a good game and I loved the freedom, but it's an 8 / 10 at best to me. It'll probably be in my top 10 but as I play more of the games that released this year it might get pushed off. I mentioned it in another thread but I definitely prefer Hollow Knight. Different genre, it's a 2D Metroidvania with strong Dark Souls influence, but it's incredible.

PUBG is clearly an evolution of the DayZ / Arma 2 mod Battle Royale. It's blown the roof open for this style though. I haven't seen a new form of gaming emerge like this in QUITE a while.

GRattu

OT Supporter
Sep 21, 2007

:rofl:

Highlander_77

Dec 7, 2000
New England
There's a lot of things I didn't like about BotW, but performance is a big one. Absolutely the worst performing console game I've seen since Bloodborne. I played it on the WiiU though. Unforgivably low resolution and frame rate with constant dips. I wasn't big on the climbing, too tedious and cumbersome. Weapon durability is awful as well. Didn't like how there's very little reason to kill enemies so the best option in most situations is to just run past them. I wanted more dungeons and much bigger dungeons, the shrines are not a good replacement for dungeons.

It's a good game and I loved the freedom, but it's an 8 / 10 at best to me. It'll probably be in my top 10 but as I play more of the games that released this year it might get pushed off. I mentioned it in another thread but I definitely prefer Hollow Knight. Different genre, it's a 2D Metroidvania with strong Dark Souls influence, but it's incredible.

PUBG is clearly an evolution of the DayZ / Arma 2 mod Battle Royale. It's blown the roof open for this style though. I haven't seen a new form of gaming emerge like this in QUITE a while.

Jesus Christ, you're talking shit about Bloodborne now? @Sphygmo, could you please get your brother in line here? :ugh:

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
Bloodborne had horrible load times and frame pacing. Game SHOULD have been on PC but noooo. Had to be on a peasanty console

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448